EDU: How to change the battery in an X5 (2001 - ?) - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-22-2008, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto:
EDU: How to change the battery in an X5 (2001 - ?)

Hey all,

Just changed the battery in the X5 and noticed that there weren't any threads (that I could find) that really detailed how to do it, so I documented it for others to learn.

First, the battery is located directly underneath the spare tire, but it's not super easy to get to.

Items needed:
Battery
10mm wrench
13mm wrench

Remove the cargo area floor
Remove the tire
with a 10mm wrench, remove the four bolts around the hump (seems to be some sort of air system in there, no idea) that the tire goes around. Mine had a ground wire attached to it so pay attention to that.
Remove the crossbraces (13mm wrench)
with your 10mm wrench loosen (don not remove) the nut clamping the connectors to the battery terminals (ground wire first).
replace battery (I just bought one from Kragen).

To put it back together, do it all backwards

Now for the pretty pictures:

Overview

Start here:

Remove the cover:

After the tire is removed:

After the round thing is removed

Last two nuts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto:
A couple of comments

I don't think you have to remove the black hump from it's mounting bracket. Just undo the bolts for the bracket and it will fold up against the seats. The hump is for the air suspension.

Also the straps around your spare wheel should be underneath it so that you can use the lower part of the tailgate to help remove the spare wheel.

Did you find the battery heavy to extract and replace, given it's awkward location? Did you keep the power on to the car during this process or was it easy to re-set everything? I don't know my radio code so don't want to lose the radio or have to take the car in to the dealer to have the computer reset.

Nice post, thanks for the pictures
Old 02-27-2008, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto:
How to reprogram after new battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYZ-X5 View Post
Did you keep the power on to the car during this process or was it easy to re-set everything? I don't know my radio code so don't want to lose the radio or have to take the car in to the dealer to have the computer reset.

Nice post, thanks for the pictures
I just replaced the battery. Did not keep the power on. On stratup the ABS light was on, turned the wheel lock and the light went out. Radio etc. all work.

But... the fuel gauge, RPM counter, etc. not do not work. Also, it looks like all the settings (temp), have defaulted to factory setting. BC etc. are not working, including service interval green lights.

How do I reset all these?

Please help.

gw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2008, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto:
Went back to the battery. Removed both cables from battery. Shorted them for one hour (to erase any memory mulfunctions.) Reconnected battery and everything is working fine now.

BTW, the aternator is OK. 14.3 volts under load. Normal with engine off is 12.3 v.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto:
EDU: How to change the battery in an X5 (2001 - ?)

When you say "Removed both cables from battery. Shorted them for one hour (to erase any memory mulfunctions.)", what do you mean by "Shorted them for one hour"? Just now having battery problems after car alarm has begun to malfunction.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto:
Replace the battery, it's money well spent

I changed my battery (2000 4.4) without any problems. I didn't need to short anything out (I didn't like the sound of that either). I was told that if there were any problems, just to leave the battery disconnected for about 30 minutes and everything would reset. I didn't need to do this. All I did was connect everything up and reassemble the back end, I backed out of the driveway and did the lock to lock thing and everything started working again just fine.

When the battery gets low on power, unpredictable things happen which may seem hard to relate to the battery. My wipers would come on, door locks not open, rear hatch open etc. A charge up would settle everything down but a new battery was the real solution. Mine was the original. If yours is original I'd say it's time for a change so it doesn't continue to give random problems or let you down all together.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto:
Battery Change

Instructions worked fine for me. I did notice that the design supports two sizes of batteries. I purchased a 3rd party battery and it was not as long as the BMW OEM. There is a second hole that enables you shift the clamp.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto:
Bought the Duralast Gold at Autozone

It appears exactly the same as the OEM including the vent hose location.

Took the old battery down to Autozone to avoid core charge.

Now my radio and blinkers do not work, could be worse. Darkness set in, I'll investigate it further in the morning. I am begining to think that letting BMW hook you for $420 for a battery and install might be less aggravating.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 X5 4.4i
Pictures for the battery change out were great and helpful. The reply on NOT removing the hump was right on the spot. All I had to remove was the 2 nuts/2 bolts (all 13MM) that hold the brackets and rock it back. I should have replaced the battery in my 2000X5 months ago when I saw that it started draining down when I left the car for a week or two (gone to ride the Harley!). When I came back from vacation this past week, the car wouldn't start. slapped on a battery charger and took another vehicle. But when I started it the next day........ all the computer display was out (as described by many posters). I thought I was facing a computer replacement. thanks to all the posts here, I have disconnected the battery and am going to leave it unhooked for 30 minutes to drain down. HOPE that works! I'll post back if this fixes the problem of the bum fuel guage, the absence of all computer displays (date/miles to go/miles per gallon/ave. speed/etc.). If all I have to do is reprogram the key and reset radio stations I will be delighted. For sure, I'm getting the new battery tomorrow!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 X5 4.4i
thank you, thank you, thank you posters. I had already called the local foreign auto repair guy who works on my 2 beemers (2000 X5 and 2000 528iT wagon). But I'm happy to report that after 30 minutes plus of disconnected battery, my displays and fuel gauge are all back. And the temperature settings show in Farenheit insteac of Celcius! (that was my first clue that the displays were screwed up before I even realized everything else was missing).
Old 08-05-2009, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto:
Man I changes my battery and drove around the block thinking it was all good. Too good to be true. I parked and turned off the car and presto, the car is dead again. Don't know wth happened and am pissed off.

I have a 2001 X5 and replaced OEM battery with a battery from autozone which has no vent on it. Do you think that matters? I don't want to dump anymore money into this truck. It worked good and now it don't work at all. Just my luck. Any help is appreciated. TY.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:31 PM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekahx4 View Post
Man I changes my battery and drove around the block thinking it was all good. Too good to be true. I parked and turned off the car and presto, the car is dead again. Don't know wth happened and am pissed off.

I have a 2001 X5 and replaced OEM battery with a battery from autozone which has no vent on it. Do you think that matters? I don't want to dump anymore money into this truck. It worked good and now it don't work at all. Just my luck. Any help is appreciated. TY.
Most new batts from the store have been sitting for some time discharging or, at best have had a hot shot charge put on them; neither will do you much good. "Fresh", new batteries are seldom over 1/2 charged and will never get back to near full charge in your car...a pia, but you might have had them put it on a low amp trickle charge ahead of time or, done it yourself.

You may be looking at a shot alternator too, as driving it (more than around the block ), should bring even a semi-charged battery back to life.

And, it should have a vent hole: they are often hard to spot, but if it was the right battery, or even close, it should have a small hole, maybe covered by plastic, that needs to be punched out and the existing vent tube inserted.
GL,mD
'17 X1 F48 for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Old 09-05-2009, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto:
I have no clue what the problem is

I went to Battery Plus and got the correct battery.

Following the instructions in the thread, I installed the battery.

I get the error msgs (abs, etc) but more importantly:

1) car dies after several seconds or it idles really low & rough
2) error msg with the circle and exclamatin point

I've tried a 2nd new battery and get the same results
Old 09-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E53 X5, E86 Z4MC
Those lights should all go out after you start the engine and turn your steering wheel lock to lock. Not sure why your car would idle low and rough after a battery change. Did you get tighten down everything?
Old 09-05-2009, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto:
Just exactly what does turning the wheel lock to lock do? Clear any other codes?
Old 09-05-2009, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
>> Just exactly what does turning the wheel lock to lock do?

Allows the computer to recalibrate the range/limits of the sensor.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto:
Let me try the wheel lock in a few mins and provide an update.

Would reseting the OBC do anything? I get my borrowed scanner back tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto:
Well:

1) car dies after several seconds or it idles really low & rough (Still an issue)
2) error msg with the circle and exclamatin point (Resolved w/ wheel lock)

It just idles really low (500-550 rpm) and sounds like crap.

When stepping on the gas, it is rough and the power is not there.

I have not tighten everything down. Just the leads to the battery.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto:
I thing I failed to mention before.

Before cahnging the battery out.

I had a SES and the scanner told me to replace the camshaft position sensors.

I hadn't gotten around to replacing the sensors yet and this may be related.

I don't have the SES light now.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Drivin' the dream

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 & 2007 Z4 si
Which is better and safer- keeping the X5 powered while changing the battery, or letting it sit disconnected for 30 minutes disconnected? Confirmed that disconnecting for 30 minutes avoids any issues?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is
Just do a straightforward battery replacement. The car is designed to be able to handle this process. It is a good idea to let the car rest before hooking up the new battery. However, I've never found it necessary when working on these cars. Frankly speaking, it's a real pain in the ass to replace the battery on these things. It takes me a good 15 minutes just to get to the point where I can see the battery. Then, about 10 more minutes pass before I get the new one seated and locked into place. It's more than enough time to allow the car to reset.

To save your yourself some pain, try starting up the car after hooking up the battery and before putting everything back together. If you notice any oddities, it's easy to unhook the battery and walk away for 30 minutes. But, if you've already put the spare back into place, it's going to drive you nuts to take it all part again.

Your 4X4 error light may light up afterwards. Do NOT worry, it will disappear after driving off. Your trip odometer, clock and date will all reset as well.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto:
So I changed out the faulty camshaft position sensors today and...

Same old chit... low, rough idling

We decided to drive the car around the neighborhood.

At the first stop, the engine was idling fine. I put it in park and it was idling fine.

I drove some more, shut off the engine, started up, everything is fine now.

The engine feels smoother now with the sensors changed out.

All is right with the world again.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto:
Replaced my 04 X5 battery

Hey zkf6zql,

Thanx for the pics. They really helped. I put a trickle charger on the X5 to keep power on the system. After replaceing the battery, I reconnected the battery and started up. I had to do the wheel lock thing and it reset the 4X light on the dash. The only thing I had to reset was the time and date. The only thing that did not come back was the remote key. I have to lock and unlock the truck from the door.
Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 09-14-2009, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: E53 X5, E86 Z4MC
That means the trickle charger didn't do anything much to keep the power on the system. I changed the battery on my '04 6 month ago without keeping power to the system and all I had to do was reset the date and time and did the wheel lock to lock thing...no problem with anything else. Remote/key/memories all kept their settings.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2002 X5 3.0
Bump

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search