BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E39 rear window regulator repair kit available (E39 up to 6/99)

200K views 385 replies 178 participants last post by  WhoFlungPoo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK,
Since my post about my repair of the rear window regulator over at bimmerforums it was suggested that I post here so that inexpensive fix could be spread across the E39 community.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=860874

I've been asked if I could produce the parts to make the repair. I've torn apart my good door to get measurements and have everything ready to go to make repair kits available for those of you that are interested. These parts will be nice, not like what are pictured in my original repair.

The repair kit will include parts to repair 2 rear window regulators for the typical broken slider problem. The kit will include the repair parts, nuts, bolts, proper drill bit, hex key, and instructions with pictures. All you will need are basic hand tools and a drill. To keep from having to print a lot of stuff I plan to send the instructions by email so be aware.

I'm not planning on getting rich here just helping other E39 owners with what is a common and expensive repair. Oh yeah, the price is $15 shipped in the US. I know sticker shock.... and I can take PayPal if it makes things easier.

These parts will only fit the rear regulators not the front.

If you are interested send me a PM and I'll hook you up, if this post breaks the rules delete it and you have my apology.

Thanks,
Lance

http://www.bmwrepairkit.com/

See less See more
#15 ·
Lance, you sound like a great guy to do this without trying to fleece everyone on the cost.

I replaced both rear regulators in 2007 and anticipate that the fronts might go (not sure if the previous owner replaced them or not). Put me on the list for the fronts if you get that finalized. I'd buy a set just to have on hand for when they eventually go.
Many thanks,
Ray (Raymond919@aol.com)

#16 ·
Lance, you sound like a great guy to do this without trying to fleece everyone on the cost.

I replaced both rear regulators in 2007 and anticipate that the fronts might go (not sure if the previous owner replaced them or not). Put me on the list for the fronts if you get that finalized. I'd buy a set just to have on hand for when they eventually go.
Many thanks,
Ray (Raymond919@aol.com)
Thanks Ray,

Really the fleece is there, it's just that it's reasonable :)

Actually it's just that I've been doing stuff like this all my life at work and have a pretty nice shop setup at home that makes doing things like this pretty easy. Once you get the fixtures made it's sort of mass production time, so it's not like I'm spending hours making up each kit. I'm just lucky to have sources for material and experience doing things just like this that keeps the fleece reasonable and profitable enough for me to produce them. Of course then I keep thinking 100,000 + E39's produced times $15....... Wow sort of like hitting the lotto :)

Lance

#17 ·
Very clever.

I did the same thing on my E23 (sold) 1983 735i, FRONT driver's regulator.
The motor is made by Bosch (or ? Siemens) but the only thing broken was the same clip, so I made something similar and it worked great until I sold the car.

When people say regulator is broken in a bimmer, usually this is the culprit, NOT the motor itself.

Very clever!

#18 ·
I didn't know about this solution last year when I paid big bucks to self repair (replace) my right rear window regulator. Yesterday, my left rear window did the same thing, so I would like to purchase your kit to fix this nagging problem. You mentioned that the purchase can by made via Pay Pal. If you wish to use Pay Pal, then I need your ID to initiate the transaction. Thanks in advance for posting this valuable alternative for the community.

#24 ·
Need a kit too!

Hi,

Window just broke 2 days ago. Noticed cable was not attached. Googled for a fix and within 15 minutes I find a great DIY forum and a dude who sells a repair kit. God I love the internet! I'll be happy to Paypal you $15. Can I get your email address somehow? Mine is n3ikq at yahoo dot com.