Cold Weather Package vs. "just" Heated Seats? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-17-2008, 04:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Alpinweiss F32
Cold Weather Package vs. "just" Heated Seats?

I ordered my 335i Coupe with Heated Seats but not with the Cold Weather Package. However, I noticed that most of the cars on the dealers lot had the package and it seems that a lot of you guys have it as well.

I don't ski, so I don't need the ski bag. I fill up with gas once or twice per week and clean the headlights each time, so I don't believe I would ever have need for the headlight washers.

Am I missing something..........does the package come with some other beneficial feature?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Nope that is it - ski bag (I usually take mine out so I just have a hole into the trunk which is more useful than the stupid bag), heated seats and headlight washers.

I think it just is the default for most cars the dealer orders in colder climates and is only $750 vs $500 so no big difference, but I doubt you will miss having the washers or bag)
2019 X5 M-Sport Phytonic Blue/Ivory Extended Merino Leather - On Order
Old 03-17-2008, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 650i coupe
I ordered the same just the seats. I thought it was kind of funny that you could order a car that was not designed to be driven in the snow [335i + sport] and have a ski bag! I'm in Seattle and there was really no reason to have the entire package. I will have to agree with roadkillrob I think the dealers just order them that way.

Carl

2007 650i coupe / stratus grey metallic / auto / sport / cold weather package / HD / sat / HUD / logic / CA / Black Pearl Leather / oem M6 wheels / 35% tint / 2 years old 3400 miles.......
2007 S60 Volvo [wife's car]
1974 Dodge W100 4x4 [my winter alternative "Ultimate Driving Machine"]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 ///Msport 35i
If you ever had salt + melted snow cover your front windshield then you would know how dirty it would get on your headlights as well.
Plus the heated steering wheel is a nice touch.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Not a Bimmer driver anymo

Mein Auto: 2014 Tesla P85D
When the dealer is ordering, s/he just goes for the most likely to sell. If you want heated seats but one with CWP is on the lot, you are most likely going to take the car anyway; but if someone wants the whole CWP and only heated seats are available, they will have to custom order.

It's also common because on the 5-er, the heated steering wheel comes with it (as Kzang points out), and in the E90 the fold-down seats are not standard unless you get the whole CWP.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
If you ever had salt + melted snow cover your front windshield then you would know how dirty it would get on your headlights as well.
Plus the heated steering wheel is a nice touch.
I've certainly had my car covered with salt and melted snow, but like I said I'm rather a neat freak when it comes to keeping my windshield and headlights clean. Even if it isn't time to get gas, I'll Windex the headlights in the garage.

Does that heated steering wheel only come with the Cold Weather Package? I agree that is a nice touch.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:41 AM
Porleau

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 340xi M-Sport
Ski bag? I have the cold weather package, but there is no "bag", just a removable cover to the truck behind the folded armrest. Skis can pass through, but thery are not covered. Is something missing in my car or is this just how it is on '08s?

2017 340i xDrive | Mineral Gray | Coral Red Dakota | M-Sport | M Performance Power & Sound | ZCW | ZDA | ZLP | 2PE | 2VF| ZTP | 5DL | 5DP | 6CP
2017 X3 2.8 xDrive | Deep Sea Blue | Saddle Brown Dakota | ZXD | ZW2 | ZDA | ZLP | ZP3 | ZTP | 5DL

Gone, but not forgotten:
14 BMW 335xi F30
11 BMW 335xi E90
08 BMW 335i E90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
85 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 03-17-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP8 View Post
I've certainly had my car covered with salt and melted snow, but like I said I'm rather a neat freak when it comes to keeping my windshield and headlights clean. Even if it isn't time to get gas, I'll Windex the headlights in the garage.

Does that heated steering wheel only come with the Cold Weather Package? I agree that is a nice touch.
I understand, but the purpose of the headlight washers are to wash while on the road and driving.

Regading the heated steering wheel, not sure on the 3 series but it is included on the 5 series CWP. Not sure if you can get it as stand alone option?

Last edited by Kzang; 03-17-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: '10 Audi TT Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorrey View Post
Ski bag? I have the cold weather package, but there is no "bag", just a removable cover to the truck behind the folded armrest. Skis can pass through, but thery are not covered. Is something missing in my car or is this just how it is on '08s?
Unless the sedans are different from the coupes / verts, something is missing from your car. I had the cold weather package on both my '03 325Ci and now on my '08 e93 335. In both cases, the ski bag was just that -- a heavy black nylon back that integrated into the opening behind the folded armrest, with a strap to tighten the bag down around skis. The usage instructions are set out in the owner's manual. I'd check yours to confirm, but I suspect one of two things:

1. You don't actually have the cold weather package, just the heated seats (do you have the headlight washers, which also come with the package)?

2. They didn't install it in your car but should have.

If you still have the window sticker from the time of purchase that should tell you as well.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I understand, but the purpose of the headlight washers are to wash while on the road and driving.

Regading the heated steering wheel, not sure on the 3 series but it is included on the 5 series CWP. Not sure if you can get it as stand alone option?
The 3 series does not have a heated steering wheel option.

Thanks, mike.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Porleau

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 340xi M-Sport
Ski Bag Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopics View Post
Unless the sedans are different from the coupes / verts, something is missing from your car. I had the cold weather package on both my '03 325Ci and now on my '08 e93 335. In both cases, the ski bag was just that -- a heavy black nylon back that integrated into the opening behind the folded armrest, with a strap to tighten the bag down around skis. The usage instructions are set out in the owner's manual. I'd check yours to confirm, but I suspect one of two things:

1. You don't actually have the cold weather package, just the heated seats (do you have the headlight washers, which also come with the package)?

2. They didn't install it in your car but should have.

If you still have the window sticker from the time of purchase that should tell you as well.
The car certainly has the cold weather package, but I will double check the manual to see if the '08 sedan comes with an actual ski bag. If it does, then I will follow up with the dealer! My previous Audis had the ski bag, so I'm very familiar with them and was surprised that the BMW didn't seem to include it. The funny thing is that the "panel" into the trunk not only folds down on top of the armrest, but can actually be removed. very strange.

2017 340i xDrive | Mineral Gray | Coral Red Dakota | M-Sport | M Performance Power & Sound | ZCW | ZDA | ZLP | 2PE | 2VF| ZTP | 5DL | 5DP | 6CP
2017 X3 2.8 xDrive | Deep Sea Blue | Saddle Brown Dakota | ZXD | ZW2 | ZDA | ZLP | ZP3 | ZTP | 5DL

Gone, but not forgotten:
14 BMW 335xi F30
11 BMW 335xi E90
08 BMW 335i E90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
85 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 03-17-2008, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorrey View Post
The ski bag looks a lot like a plain plastic cover, however there is a button on it that basically disengages the hard plasitic flaps on the front and back and exposes the heavy nylon ski bag. When I first got the car it took me a couple minutes to figure out how to get at the bag inside...
Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 08' 335i
I just ordered a 335i Sedan and went with just the heated seats. For me the heated seats were all I wanted and I saw no reason to pay an additional $455 for the ski bag and windshield washers. As the poster said above there is no heated stearing wheel on the 3, if that were an option I may have paid the extra.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Its Here!

Mein Auto: '08 328 Sedan
Here in Sunny San Diego it was very much the same.... CWP on alot of dealer cars. When I ordered my last convertible I stuck with the heated seats only (perfect for top down driving on cooler evenings).

It's Here!!... '11 X6 3.5i (PCD to San Diego)
Weekend warrior.... '08 328 Coupe
Retired.... '07 328 Sedan
RIP..... '02 325 Convertible (Murdered by a Nissan Z at 157,000 miles)
Old 03-17-2008, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: '06 330i
The ZCW package also gives you fold-down rear seats, which I happen to like alot and is standard on an awful lot of sedans these days. For me, the stand alone cost of the heated seats and the added benefit of the fold down back seat means I order Cold Weather pkg, even though we're in Texas. Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brashman View Post
The ZCW package also gives you fold-down rear seats, which I happen to like alot and is standard on an awful lot of sedans these days. For me, the stand alone cost of the heated seats and the added benefit of the fold down back seat means I order Cold Weather pkg, even though we're in Texas. Your mileage may vary.
The rear seats of the 335i Coupe fold down even without the Cold Weather Package. Although the brochure pretty much verifies it, I had my dealer verbally confirm prior to my placing the order.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: '06 330i
Sorry, that's right.

We've only had sedans so I tend to think in sedan-only terms.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brashman View Post
Sorry, that's right.

We've only had sedans so I tend to think in sedan-only terms.
If the seats didn't fold down, I definitely would have opted for the Cold Weather Package. I never even looked in the trunk of a coupe prior to ordering.......I have no idea if my golf clubs will even fit in there!!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Tee it up!!!!

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Quote:
If the seats didn't fold down, I definitely would have opted for the Cold Weather Package. I never even looked in the trunk of a coupe prior to ordering.......I have no idea if my golf clubs will even fit in there!!!!
I pulled two sets of clubs out of my car to test the 328 sedan trunk when I was looking. I was taking no chances. If the coupe trunk is similar to the sedan, you will be OK. With a little imagination, I think I could get 3 sets to fit (by taking drivers out a bag, maybe use the split seats....)
Old 03-17-2008, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: '10 Audi TT Roadster
Quote:
I regularly got my clubs and my wife's clubs into the trunk of my '03 coupe, without need to fold down the back seat. The trunk got bigger in the e92, so you're golden with the new one. If it makes you feel better, you can even get one set of clubs into the new convertible trunk (easily) with the roof up. With the roof down, you can stack several bags in the back seat, and throw at LEAST two pairs of golf spikes in the trunk. Keeping it on topic, with the cold weather package I suppose you could also stick one bag into the ski back from the trunk, roof up or down.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Mein Auto: 2006 325i; 2015 Yamaha R3
Just get the heated seats. The headlamp washers aren't that useful, and make a mess all over the hood.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Just get the heated seats. The headlamp washers aren't that useful, and make a mess all over the hood.
I suspect that if you had the need to use them, the car would already be filty so I wasn't too worried about what mess it might make on the hood or bumper.

However, I do question how effective the headlight washers really would be at cleaning the headlights.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Ditto. They also operate or run about every third or fourth time you use the wiper on an intermittent basis. I ordered the heated seats w/o CWP for the above reason and I won't be taking the coupe when I go to ski country. I have an AW drive car for skiing trips.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335i Coupe
If you don't ski, get the heated seats and make sure the car is kept clean
Old 03-17-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:

This doesn't make sense since the only reason to use it is when the car is already messy.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search