BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Tips and suggestions for replacing destroyed E39 driver seat adjustment control panel

135K views 121 replies 35 participants last post by  Barra Power 
#1 ·
My E39 driver's-side lower seat control panel is destroyed. I guess all I need to do is replace it and plug it in. Before I do that, I wonder if you have any advice for me to build my courage up to tackle this repair? It's still hanging by a thread (in back, somehow).

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Is there only one major connector powering the seat controls?

Twisting the broken seat control panel a bit as it's held on somewhere in the back only ... I can see a single connector with tons of pins, with some of those pins bent ... so I guess the first order of business is for me to see if I can get the connector back on and to see if things actually work.

Attachments

#3 ·
The black box with pins -> Where does it come from?

Some quick questions ...

Which color would you get? Is it "grau"?
And, where is the part found for that million-pin black box?
Is that black box part of the outer cover?'

Attachments

#4 ·
That black box is not apart of that trim piece, so it xcan come out and be replaced.... I think it is called the seat control module......

If you get in the back seat and follow the trim to the back of the seat you wwill see a torx (*) screw that holds it in place there.... It is not an impossible replacement, youcan do it..... Just be patient and take your time to make sure you get all the screws out and back in.. If you line up the broken one, I bet the old screws are still there.

I have no idea what color that is....

#5 ·
when i took mine out i belive there will be a piece on the back of the panel the is wedge inbetween the upper seatback and lower seat. i think there is push in clip that holds it in place, a little forcefull prying got mine out. stupid thing!

#6 · (Edited)
I just changed my outer covers last week, so I think I can help here.

"Is this black box with pins part of the cover or is it a separate part to order?"
The black box is a separate part independent of the cover. Personally, I would try the plug first before even considering ordering the black electrical box. Electronics in our cars are insanely expensive, and the cost for that part may very well be close to the cost for a used driver's seat that would come with that part, and more.

You would get grau, yes. However, notice that your seat cover is scratched and the white plastic is showing through. My grau seat covers were in a similar condition and fixing the cosmetic defect was the genesis of my replacement effort. I would suggest getting schwarz (black, BMW part #52 10 7 058 008), because black will hide the future scratches that are inevitable. This is possible because the black seat covers are made of black ABS plastic and not painted, thus a scratch will not take off paint and expose an off-color base material.

Some tips, since you asked:
- The seat control buttons simply pop off, but are held on very securely. It's nerve wracking, but they're just on there tight.
- The seat covers themselves are each held on with two Torx screws and three plastic rivets. Again, the plastic rivets are in very tight and will likely necessitate destruction for removal. These rivets create a lot of frustration. Replacement plastic rivets are sold in sets of six (BMW part#52 10 8 150 020) and are markedly inexpensive, so I would urge you to get these as well.
- The seat covers are sold in a set of two, and come with one out of six holes filled in with a button cover. Since you have the "basic" electric seat like I do, your controls will fill three more holes, so if you wish to change colors you'll need to purchase the final two button covers, which curiously enough come with two each of the button covers that already come with the seat covers. If you purchase the seat covers and the button covers, you'll end up with two extra button covers per side. Now I'm not sure if this was an idiosyncrasy with my dealer, but a set of seat covers came with two - one for the driver and one for the passenger - while a set of button covers was for only one side. I needed to order an additional set of button covers. To summarize, I purchased one set of seat covers and two sets of button covers. This will fill in all of the holes with four identical button covers to spare. I have leftover buttons in both grau and schwarz, as well as the passenger's side seat cover. If you wish I can sell them to you for a dollar or two over what it will cost me to ship them.

To remove the rivets and the control buttons, I would highly recommend interior trim panel tools. I acquired the first two of the following three sets from Harbor Freight Tools for about five dollars each. The set of yellow tools is particularly durable and desirable and has proven to be worth much more than the asking price to me:

If you need more information, please see the following thread in which these seat covers are discussed ad nauseum:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842536

#36 ·
The BMW outer cover control buttons just pry off

The seat control buttons simply pop off, but are held on very securely. It's nerve wracking, but they're just on there tight.
It scared me at first but the two buttons just pried off with a screwdriver.

Here is a photograph of what they look like being pried off so the next person can try it without guessing.

Attachments

#8 ·
I'm confused.

The REALOEM site seems to show both BMW E39 seat covers (passenger and driver) are the same part number (i.e., 52107058009, $39.62) ...

Yet the Maxmillian site seems to show the two covers as different part numbers - where the driver side being BMW part number 52108207249 & the passenger side being BMW part number 52108207250 (both $39.39 each) - yet - the driver side (which I need) says "ENDED" (which I presume to mean you can't get it).

*******> ********>
I don't get it.

Is the passenger side "outer cover" the same part as the driver side (I need the driver's side) or different? I don't mind replacing both the driver and passenger side outer covers as they're all scratched up ... but it would be nice to be able to figure this out ahead of time.

#10 ·
^^ What sidneyj said. If you'll notice, the separate part numbers have been superceded by newer ones, meaning that they used to be sold individually but are now sold as a set. If you re-read post #6 of mine, you should note that while a set of outer covers includes both a driver and passenger side, a set of the requisite buttons is for only one side.

I was as confused as you are when I was about to order the outer covers for my 2000 528i, and a little apprehensive on purchasing a part without knowing absolutely that it would be the right one, but it worked out. Take it from someone who has done it and who has the same car and seats as you.

If you want them in grey, get both sides from sidneyj or the passenger's side from me (though I'm not sure why you would want just the one). The part number for both sides in grey is 52 10 7 058 009. If you want black, you'll want to purchase part #52 10 7 058 009. Again, be sure to get a set of six rivets - BMW part#52 10 8 150 020 - so you can replace any broken ones.

#11 ·
separate part numbers have been superceded ... meaning they used to be sold individually but are now sold as a set. ... Take it from someone who has done it and who has the same car and seats as you... The part number for both sides in grey is 52 10 7 058 009
Thank you for both the needed clarification and for the assurance that it will all work out with part number 52 10 7 058 009. Without you guys, I'd not have any courage to tackle these jobs - but - with you here - I feel empowered to take a chance with my new (to me) BMW!

I read the referenced thread and saw the pics of the black outer seat covers on a gray seat but I prefer the gray (despite its propensity to scratch to the white underplastic) so I won't need the hole covers (but your timely admonishment to get them as a set is duly noted for others to heed).

Attachments

#13 ·

That might've been true 50 years ago, but it's 2008.
I'm not sure I understand this comment because plastics didn't exist 50 years ago.

To clarify, I meant the underlying plastic under the black paint of the BMW seat is black.

But, the underlying plastic under the gray skin of the gray paint of the BMW seat is white. Likewise, I believe, with the tan skin.

So, when the tan or gray seats scratch, which all of them do, the scratch shows up as a white streak whereas the black scratches show up as black and hence are not onerous.

#15 ·
How do I remove the black box control part?

Oh, ok. I wasn't sure.

Anyway, I had to guess which way the connector went on the seat because that big black control box was partly broken so the connector would go on either way.

Luckily I guessed correctly (the wire bundle being on the left in the first photo I posted and not on the right as the connector was plugged in).

Do others agree that the connector goes on with the wiring bundle coming from the left? (The seat works when I plugged it in so it must be correct but I'd like to double check!).

Also, when I buy the new part, how do I pop out that black rectangular box with the controls in it? Does it just pop out?

#16 ·
Also, when I buy the new part, how do I pop out that black rectangular box with the controls in it? Does it just pop out?
I already answered your question in a previous post of mine:

Some tips, since you asked:
- The seat control buttons simply pop off, but are held on very securely. It's nerve wracking, but they're just on there tight. Pop the buttons off, then on the inside of the frame, gently bend the plastic clips holding the control unit in order to remove it.

#17 ·
I have the same problem. Went to the BMW dealer and if I wanted a replacement I had to pay for the set, not just the one I needed. This was sometime last year and they were in stock. Reading above I see they are no longer; just didn't want to pay that much for needing only one.

#23 · (Edited)
The price for the seat cover set, shipped and taxed, is about $45

I finally returned to the states from Germany and ordered the parts for my broken seat cover.

For others to benefit, here was the quick pricing survey, shipped and taxed to California.

Fremont BMW 866-561-1968 52107058009 $63.02 + 8.25% tax
Bavauto BMW 800-535-2002 52107058009 $39.95 + $11.95 shipping
Pelican BMW 888-280-7799 52107058009 $48.75 + 8.25% tax
Circle BMW 732-440-1238 52107058009 $37.06 + $9.00 shipping
AllEuro BMW 866-286-2051 52107058009 $42.00 (no shipping, no tax)

#24 ·
If it's any help, the wires going to the connector are toward the forward on my 2001 530i. So it appears you have it connected correctly in the last photograph.

#25 ·
the wires going to the connector are toward the forward on my 2001 530i. So it appears you have it connected correctly
Thank you Steve,

I was worried about that and nobody had confirmed so I didn't want to be a pain. There was nothing about how it connected in the manual, nor on RealOEM, and because of the broken parts, it hooked up either way.

I'm sure in an unbroken situation, it would only go one way ... but it's nice to know that we now know how it hooks up when the new part arrives. I hope the control module isn't too badly damaged that I can still reuse it in the new seat cover.

Donna

#28 ·
....I'm sure in an unbroken situation, it would only go one way ... but it's nice to know that we now know how it hooks up when the new part arrives. I hope the control module isn't too badly damaged that I can still reuse it in the new seat cover.

Donna
Yes. The connector is supposed to have a plastic lever that swings over the connector to secure it to the switch assembly. That makes determines the orientation. But that small lever broke away about a day after the seat cover broke on my car.

I plan to replace the seat covers on my car soon, so any tips you find or pics you take will be welcome.

Steve

#26 ·
I had a 50:50 chance of getting it right the first time

I should mention I had a 50:50 change of getting it right ... so ... I _should_ have pulled the battery but .... being who I am ... I just tried one way and waited for the smoke to tell me whether or not I got it right ....

Luckily, the BMW gods were with me on this one ... :)

#27 ·
The $50 set of gray outer seat covers arrived today!

Woo hoo! The $50 set of "grau" outer covers 52107058009 arrived today!
Now I can see all the attachment points!
Notice that only one hole (a rectangular one) has a plug; the rest are open.
Also notice (scratch the inside to see) that this is white plastic painted gray.

Attachments

#30 ·
Bluebee, while I applaud your ostensible efforts at accuracy, I have to wonder how much inefficiency is involved sometimes, seeing has how the things you "notice" were already covered in my admittedly wordy post #6, and I answered - for a second time - a different question of yours in post #16.

Notice that only one hole (a rectangular one) has a plug; the rest are open.
- The seat covers are sold in a set of two, and come with one out of six holes filled in with a button cover.
Also notice (scratch the inside to see) that this is white plastic painted gray.
You would get grau, yes. However, notice that your seat cover is scratched and the white plastic is showing through...I would suggest getting...black...because the black seat covers are made of black ABS plastic and not painted, thus a scratch will not take off paint and expose an off-color base material.

#29 ·
No connector latch?

I looked at your pics and see that the connector latch got broken off too. I recently had some problems with the Memory seats that lose their memory from time to time. I fixed it by fully latching the connector into the control module (last person to work on this car didn't secure the connector right). If you have memory seats, I would suggest to secure the connector into the module or you might encounter memory seat loss.
I don't want you to have to go through the weeks of troubleshooting I went through:mad:

Jayee

#31 ·
Hi PJB,
I do very much appreciate all your help and I'm sorry if I wrote too much. I do spend a LOT of time taking the pics, editing them, annotating them, combining them, and in general, trying to improve the knowledge that is on bimmerfest.

I agree it's in no way efficient for me or for you, if you already know the answer or if you've already provided the answer in this or other threads. In fact, I probably spend twice as much time documenting the problem and the fixes than I do on the fix itself. So, I agree on the efficiency problem.

Sorry.

#32 · (Edited)
I hope resurrecting old threads is acceptable etiquette here. This thread is exactly pertinent to my question, and I've already gotten a wealth of information from it (thank you!).

While trying to determine why my tilt steering won't work (I checked fuses, all OK) the backward-forward buttons on my drivers seat stopped working too. Now I realize from this forum that the Memory Module in the driver's seat controls both.

So I took the side seat panel off and found the Memory Module had been jimmy rigged before I bought the car. It was cracked, super glued, and wrapped in electrical tape! I think I found my problem. :thumbup:

In the process I saw that the side panel was broken at both places where the bolts hold it on so I need a new one.

So, two questions:

1. Can anyone tell me what color this is so I can buy the correct one?

[URL=http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5590dl6.jpg][/URL]

2. Where's the best place to buy the black box Memory Module (Seat Control Unit)?

#33 · (Edited)
While trying to determine why my tilt steering won't work (I checked fuses, all OK) the backward-forward buttons on my drivers seat stopped working too. Now I realize from this forum that the Memory Module in the driver's seat controls both.
Yup. At least three things seemed to have gone whacky when the module was disconected. Certainly the seat would not move in any direction. Neither would the steering wheel. I think, when it was broken, that the mirror memory in the door didn't work either ...

1. Can anyone tell me what color this is so I can buy the correct one?
2. Where's the best place to buy the black box Memory Module (Seat Control Unit)?
Well, "Schwarz" is black; "Grau" is gray; "Marineblau" is likely marine blue; "DKL. Gruen" is probably dark green; which leaves "Sand beige" as the tan interior that seems to be in your picture.

Best places to buy BMW equipment is in this thread ...
*******> ********>*******>********>Donna

#34 ·
I would be somewhat surprised if any of the "usual suspects" for replacement parts have the control module. I'm sure the dealer can get it, but at an exhorbitant price. I would think that the module is that kind of thing that may get overlooked at a junkyard, and would try one of those places first. You could get lucky and find one for under $20.

And I'm with bluebee on the beige color.

#35 ·
Watch out for the part number on the seat control module

I would be somewhat surprised if any of the "usual suspects" for replacement parts have the control module.
I'd be careful about one thing ordering a new BMW E39 front seat control module in that I'd double check the part number.

The part number on the sticker on my seat control module, for example, was
61.31.6.910.717 ... but the part number in the REALOEM web site is apparently 61.35.6.901.558 ($175 USD).

Attachments

#37 ·
Hint: Pry the seat control knobs off gently so as not to break the frail posts

For the record, especially since I had not the benefit of these pictures before doing my outer seat cover replacement, here is what it looks like under the two knobs once you pry off the knobs themselves with a flathead screwdriver.

Make sure you pry directly outward because those frail little posts can break!

Attachments

#39 ·
Bring over the black squarish clip inside the round hole

It's not obvious but the black seemingly useless clip inside the round hole needs to be brought over from the old BMW outer seat cover to the new one.

I post this picture so someone who has not done this can see what I mean.

Attachments

#40 ·
The button cover clips are only coming out from behind

In case someone wishes to know, those two button covers you need to move over from the old BMW E39 seat outer cover to the new seat outer cover are only coming out from behind.

There is no way you're going to remove them without first removing the BMW E39 seat outer cover.

Attachments

#43 ·
HINT: Recline the seat back in order to access the rear #T30 torx screw!

HINT: The only way to get to the rear #T30 torx screw is to move the seat back so that it's lying down and out of the way.

Only with the seat back out of the way can you access the rear #30 Torx screw with a torx screwdriver!

Attachments

#51 ·
Wow this thread is still going. Bluebee your sure putting some serious effort here. On the front seat backs they are held on by two screws at the bottom while the top portion has has a clip that slides up under and inside the seat. Therefore remove the 2 screws at the bottom and pull out slightly and slide it down and out. If you tilt your front seat all the way up and tilt it down, then get on your knees and look up under the seat closely for the 2 screws. You may have to pull some seating out of the way to find them.

OK are we done now?

#52 ·
tilt your front seat all the way up and tilt it down, then get on your knees and look up under the seat closely for the 2 screws.
THAT's the secret! ... I'll look tonight. I tried yanking that cover off but I knew SOMETHING was holding it on tightly! I'll look for the screws and photograph it for the next gal.

OK are we done now?
Nope. Still have the passenger side to do. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.