BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

DISA replaced and rattling noise gone! potential disaster averted!

54K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  rbelton 
#1 ·
I've had the rattling noise for a while and at first I thought it was the VANOS, but after further research and reading the 330i doesn't suffer from the VANOS rattling noise. I actually went as far as buying all the gaskets to do the VANOS seal replacement until I realized it was the DISA making the noise.

Fast forward to today:

Here are a few pics of the DISA removed from the car.

as it came out of the car. notice the pin has work itself out about 1/3 of it's length!!!!!

the flap was not perpendicular + like it should be and generally really really dirty.

close up of the pin... scary.

the flap had a lot of movement in it. about 1/4" before any resistance was felt. the new one was perfectly centered + and wasn't as easy to move as the old one.

Thanks again to bimmerfest for potentially saving me from having to pay for a new engine :)

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
current milage is 168K but the noise probably started around 150K or so. I shouldn't have ignored it for so long. I could have paid the big price. I read (here in fact) of someone having the pin back out completely and be swallowed up by the engine = kaboooom

the DIY was fairly easy for me. took me about 15mins total. I had to make another extension to be able to reach the T40 bolts (also taped so they don't come apart). I also had to disconnect the intake tube and push it down so I can get at the 2nd bolt and remove the DISA. Part was a little expensive ($183 with shipping from Tischer) but to think what could have happened if the pin worked itself loose and into the engine.... Well, like I said, I saved money (and potentially the engine)

Wow, that's crazy. +1 on what the mileage is.
see above.

#4 ·
True. These cold weather part failures, as well as worn part threads is getting me paranoid. I think Inspection II for me is gonna be an overboard of more than required thing for me.

#8 ·
Is there enough room inside the intake manifold for the pin to wriggle free and get into the engine? The pin on my car's DISA unit came out completely while I was removing it from the manifold last year, and I spent several tense minutes locating it in the engine bay. After retrieving the pin, I cleaned it off, pushed it back into the flap, and reinstalled the DISA unit.

Since the DISA unit slides into a channel between the two halves of the intake manifold, I have my doubts that the pin would even be able to get loose in there and do a tap-dance inside one of the cylinders - but I'd like to hear from someone who has studied the system more thoroughly. :dunno:

#9 ·
someone posted that exact thing happening to him. I don't remember if it was here or e46fantatics. my pin slide in and out fairly easily so I'm sure given enough vibration and time it could have come out completely.

in my case I had to replace the disa as it was completely worn.

#10 ·
If and when I ever replace the DISA valve, I`m gonna take a copper pipe cap, maybe 3/4 inch, or whatever is a close fit over that pin boss, and epoxy and/or drill & safety-wire that sucker to the boss to prevent the pin from coming loose....

#12 ·
what does the DISA valve do and what are the symptoms of a faulty one? I have the fog horn sound after power down and excess white exhaust and am getting the oil seperator changed next week..Can anyone give me an estimate for how long it should take an experienced BMW mechanic to do the labor on an oil seperator?

#14 ·
found this in my search:

To be exact, the DISA valve does not change the length of the intake system on the six-cylinder engines from the M52TU onwards - its function is to be open at low speeds, so feeding all six intake pipes together.

At mid-range speeds it closes, seperating the front and rear groups of three cylinders from each other. At higher speeds it opens again, joining the cylinder groups together. It therefore acts like a massive balance pipe which can be closed when required.

The effect of this is to give more mid-range torque without interfering with bottpm and top-end torque.

#18 ·
It would be nice for those of you who replace your DISA, to confirm the new information we're finding about the DISA 12-volt magnetic solenoid and the 1/16" hole that allows vacuum to accumulate to open the flap when the 12 volts uncovers the one-way check valve.

Sadly, to my knowledge anyway, NOBODY (to date) has adequately explained HOW the DISA actually works!

Luckily, the knowledge has been growing exponentially lately, and is scattered about, but should be summarized here:

Here are the scattered research bits:

#19 ·
DISA not found on E39 touring

Would anyone know, is the DISA not included in the 2002 e39 touring (525iAT)?

Turner Motorsports indicates the sedan has the DISA for 2002 (my mfg date is 8/31/2001), but that the wagon doesn't. Seems odd.

Thanks to anyone who can share some light.

Tom

#20 ·
Would anyone know, is the DISA not included in the 2002 e39 touring (525iAT)?

Turner Motorsports indicates the sedan has the DISA for 2002 (my mfg date is 8/31/2001), but that the wagon doesn't. Seems odd.

Thanks to anyone who can share some light.

Tom
Any 2.5, 2.8, or 3.0 motor with dual VANOS will should have a DISA.

#24 ·
Hello guys.
I have an idle problem with my 325i E90. The bimmer has a poor start (it tends to die after it runs for 3-4 seconds) and at the last moment it revs up the engine to stop it from stalling. Another simptom is that the RPM needle starts to slightly fluctuate only after the car warms up. I looked for vacuum leaks(2 on the DISA valves) and sealed everything and did a diagnosys test. It reveiled a P160F code - "Power management problem" and P14C3 code - "DISA (Differentiated Intake Manifold) Actuator 2 Mechanical or Hardware Defect".
I looked at the 2 disas before when I was looking for vacuum leaks and besides really bad seals (which looked like they exploded) they looked fine.
Pictures of the 2 DISAs:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11967898#post11967898
Now this error code apeared.
Can a bad DISA influence the car's starting or the fluctuating in RPM at idle?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.