BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Airbag light reset!

233K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  normandy16 
#1 ·
I just met up with a bimmerfest member (Cereall) yesterday to have my airbag light reset. I had complained earlier about the ridiculous price a dealer wants just to plug in a cable, tap a few buttons, and viola, the light goes off. Cereall PM'd me and said he has Carsoft and can reset it for me so we met. :thumbup: Thanks again Cereall!

#2 ·
is there another way to reset the airbag light other than going to the dealer, can you use a peak tool reader or what ??

#3 ·
I believe Peake does make an airbag light reset tool but it's very limited in what else it's good for. Other than those two options, there is no other known way to reset the light correctly.

#4 · (Edited)
Airbag light reset

(This is my first post. Hoping for a few results with this problem. Here goes...)

My E46 had the dreaded Airbag Light come on (WHY does it have to look like the guy has a medicine ball in his lap...?)

It happened after I followed the instructions for removal/replacement of the driver's door airbag while changing the window regulator. (BTW, do NOT pay the stealer for this job: $150US for the part, PLUS $350 for "labor", apparently billed at, oh $175/hour..) Was able to put in aftermarket regulator from FCP Groton, at $55.00, and it took me 2 hours. I'm an average mechanic, with basic tools and good sense of determination, and a Bohemian sensibility when it comes to spending money.

OK, rant's over....

Anyway, the airbag light came on after reassembling everything. I'm told that it COULD be reset with a Peake tool ($150), Stealer price ($135), OR...shorting two of the contacts in the diagnostic plug base, where the Peake tool would interface with the car's OBD computer. Sooooo.......which are the two contacts to short? Anyone had experience with this? AND...been successful?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice/chastisement/comments!

#9 · (Edited)
Anyway, the airbag light came on after reassembling everything. I'm told that it COULD be reset with a Peake tool ($150), Stealer price ($135), OR...shorting two of the contacts in the diagnostic plug base, where the Peake tool would interface with the car's OBD computer. Sooooo.......which are the two contacts to short? Anyone had experience with this? AND...been successful?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice/chastisement/comments!
Hi - just a bit of clarification, our R5/SRS airbag tool retails for $129.99, though most authorized dealers sell it for $119.99.

Best of luck,

Ken

#7 ·
I don't think the law has jurisdiction over that. My light is on because I had the airbag unplugged when I was working on my window regulator and turned the key for power.

#8 ·
So far, MI doesn't require annual inspections. As for which version of Carsoft, I don't know. I just met up with the owner/fest member and he reset it for me.

#10 ·
May I ask what triggered the airbag light in the first place, and if the Carsoft tool read the code properly? From what I've read, it is most commonly due to the sensor in the seat itself or the sensor in the seatbelt. Did the reset tool turn off the light without you having to correct the cause? I have been dealing with this light for quite some time now (I think my son kneed on the seat itself while trying to reach for something in the backseat). CN90 was trying to come up with a fix for this issue as well. Thanks in advance.

#11 ·
My issue at that time was when I was replacing the steering wheel buttons, I turned the key to unlock the wheel when I had the airbag out. I accidently turned the key to the on position which triggered the light. Once I reassembled the wheel, I knew there would not be an issue but it doesn't reset the light so I had a friend reset it for me. I'm sure there isn't a problem with the SRS system. Thanks

#19 ·
i have a FALSE seat belt code 6 ( pretentioner ) on 1997 bmw 528i . i rest it but immediately comes back on. Isn't there away to wire around this problem without messing up the system so as it won't work ? I heard there is a few resistors and a nother piece of electrical part you can install in the harness under the seat to fix this? Anyone please help. the dealer wants a small fortune to fix it! Roy

#20 ·
Airbag light reset

Hello,

I've got a 1997 Z3 with a persistent airbag dashboard light. I'm in northern VA (Annandale) and wondered if anyone might be willing to let me borrow their reset device?

BentValve...does your Loftek B800 work on the Z3 models?

Thanks! - duncatc

#21 ·
Hello,

I've got a 1997 Z3 with a persistent airbag dashboard light. I'm in northern VA (Annandale) and wondered if anyone might be willing to let me borrow their reset device?

BentValve...does your Loftek B800 work on the Z3 models?

Thanks! - duncatc
First you need to get the airbags codes, then you need to fix the issue and reset it. Best would be if you could find some member with INPA.

#22 ·
- What is the cheapest usable BMW E39 airbag srs reset/scan tool on the net (1) & what other scan tools reset the fault (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & a BMW description of the SRS system (1) & what can cause a BMW E39 SRS airbag light (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & a cn90 DIY for replacing the driver seat belt buckle pretensioner and the passenger seat emulator (1) (2) & where to obtain an airbag occupancy sensor bypass unit (0) (1) (2) & what happens when we disconnect the airbag before the battery or we connect the battery before disconnecting the airbag in seat and window regulator repairs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8)

#23 ·
Airbag light

I had a similar problem last year, paid staelers £90 to tell me what was wrong and they gave a estimate of over £1.000 to check it fix it going on about seat matting, control unit, wheel sensor etc.I bought a control unit which was situated under the gear shift consul but access was from rear seat compartment underneath the rear air vent, nimbled my hands into the small gap, a few sore knuckles later removed and replaced unit ( purchased on Ebay for £35 ) and when finished, put ignition on, and the light remained on, went to local garage and they reset light for £20, job done. stealers could not reset the computer so it was the problem and a cheap fix but a lot of worry till done

#24 · (Edited)
My cheap B800 serves me well. It read my codes and reset the light after I took care of the problem, which was a faulty seat occupancy sensor. Replacing the actual sensor is a pain because you have to reupholster the seat afaik. I ended up getting one of those plug in thingies from eBay. It tricks the SRS module into thinking that someone is always sitting in the passenger seat. The up side is that the light is no longer on and the airbag will go off in case of an accident, the down side is that the airbag will go off even if no one is sitting in the seat.

My Loftek B800 also came with a booklet full of code explanations. If someone is going to buy one of those plug in modules(?) on eBay, make sure to read the seller's reviews, the first one I bought was faulty. I ended up sending it back and buying a different one from another member.

#25 ·
Call and file a complaint

Hello, I have a 202 e65 745i with only 73k on it. 2 days ago the airbag light and the seatbelt light came on with a warning on the idrive that said passenger restraint system failure. I have family that is BMW certified in another state, gave a call and they said check for recalls. BMW NA did issue the recall bulletin as listed in another users post. After review of the bulletin my year is not on the list. I called BMW NA directly and they said my year is not on the list also. Now my car has 73k on it. That's very low mileage for a 2002 and there are not really many passengers in the car so for here to be an issue on the passenger side system is odd. Especially when its the passenger side of the car that all the recalls are issued for. just called 1 888 327 4236 that's the national safety commission complaint line. Spoke with a very nice lady that took all my info about what was wrong and the mileage VIN etc. I also asked her how it was that they issued the recalls if it was by part number used or complaints filed. She basically told me that they issue a recall based on the number of complaints for specific year and model cars and that it may very well be that I have the same faulty part number installed in my car but the fact that there are not enough complaints on the issue for my specific year that they would skip listing my year in the affected models. She also said she was uploading my complaint file to Safercar.gov and that is the place that engineers go to review complaints and make decisions on what cars get recalled.

If you have any other year BMW that is affected with the passenger side restraint system warning on idrive that would also have your seatbelt light on and airbag light on go to the website or call the number and file a complaint. She said the more complaints they get the more likely they are to issue a recall. Thanks hopefully with enough complaints we can get this serious safety issue in our cars fixed by the dealer like they should be doing anyways.

safercar.gov

1 888 327 4236 National safety hotline

#27 ·
for what its worth guys.. you should just invest in a good scan tool...

unless you plan on driving older and older cars.. a good scan tool will work on all your cars from now on
This is good advice.
I still need to get off my fence and pick a good cable for my bimmer!
- Making sense of the most often recommended BMW diagnostic tools & cable interfaces (1)

#31 · (Edited)
1998 318i airbag light reset

I live in the Richmond Virginia area - I need to get my airbag light reset. I was told I needed a new driver side seat belt system which is apparently the problem. The car is a 1998, in very good shape, but I am not spending a couple hundred bucks for a car that is that old and really only driven by my kids around the area (it is safe). I need to get the car inspected but need the light reset - I've had it reset by BMW a couple times before for about $110 each time. Can anyone help?

#32 ·
I live in the Richmond Virginia area - I need to get my airbag light reset. I was told I needed a new driver side seat belt system which is apparently the problem. The car is a 1998, in very good shape, but I am not spending a couple hundred bucks for a car that is that old and really only driven by my kids around the area (it is safe). I need to get the car inspected but need the light reset - I've had it reset by BMW a couple times before for about $110 each time. Can anyone help?
What's wrong with the twenty dollar reset tool?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.