BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E39 MID Pixel Repair CD - eBay

53K views 70 replies 33 participants last post by  bluebee 
#1 ·
This pixel horse is SOOOOO beaten to death, bur I need some real world advice....

My 2002 E39 MID is having pixel failure. Temperature, as we all know, effects the number of dark pixels so in this heat, I am particularly annoyed.
Has anyone done their own MID pixle repair successfully? Has anyone invested in this CD from eBay for pixel repair?

BMW E38 E39 M5 X5 MID DISPLAY LCD EASY PIXEL REPAIR - $19.95

Many have destroyed their MIDs. Others are just not going in. And then there's people like me who are on the fence but want to avoid a MID meltdown.

Any advice is welcome.
Thanks,
CL

#3 ·
I am one that destroyed my Mid trying to effect the repairs the E38.org forum has posted. I am essentially an electronics tech and VERY careful. The solvent recommended to clean the ribbon cable removed the gold trace material completely and ruined my cable.

When I had the display in my hand, You essentially have a display that is two pieces of glass with the ribbon cable wedged between the two pieces of glass which seem to me to be forever bonded together. I can not see wow one can insert a new ribbon cable into the display glass. This is most definitely the issue and the cure,but I need some help getting my arms around how you would attach a new ribbon cable to the actually glass display portion. Attaching at the circuit board is easy. If someone can tell me how they got the glass separated to accept a new ribbon, I would be very grateful. If I were to attempt it again, I would NOT take the mechanical connection at the circuit board apart. I would attempt to get contact cleaner to penetrate the mechanical connection and then with wide mouth vice grips possible try to increase the clamping power on the ribbon. I might even fashion a couple pieces of aluminum bar to clamp OVER the existing mechanical connection at the circuit board to increase the clamp pressure on the ribbon without trying to cut, clean, or refresh the ribbon gold points. They are too delicate and are easily wiped into oblivion by acetone and a soft cloth.

Has anyone tried a new ribbon and can tell me how they attached it/replaced the old at the glass panel end of the ribbon?

#4 ·
540iMan,
I am NOT an electrical engineer and often are not as careful as I hope to be. I hope someone comes back to us with thoughts on MID ribbon cable replacement when it seems to be impossible based on your effort.
Anyone?
CL

#5 ·
I have seen many posts re: I bought a new ribbon cable, blah blah blah so it is hard to believe no one can tell us how they attached it at the actual display end... Maybe they bought the cable and found out they had no clue how to effect this either! I'm sure someone will guide us.. :dunno:

#6 ·
I think most folks don't distinguish between the MID and and main dashboard driver's instrument panel. We know the ribbon can be replaceed there. It's the MID that is our problem (and that of probably 100,000 other pre-2004 E39 owners.)

#9 ·
Okay. Armysweitzer is on record that repair of the MID is not an option. Good to know.
Anyone else? Has anyone actually succeeded repairing the MID? Do you have to be a clock maker?
I am in contact with the guy who supplies new ribbons for the instrument cluster. He said his ribbon is NOT for the MID, but is investigating. I'll know more soon and will get back to the BBS.

#19 ·
540iMan,

Your experience in the deep dive with the MID is needed here. I am in email contact with a guy in the UK who supplies the ribbons (and probably watches this BBS). He promptly emailed the following response to my questions (based on your experience):

"the ribbon is not an easy replacement on the MID" - that is right, this is not easy, you have to have some mechanical skills to do that, but it is not as difficult as it is described below I do it in about 30 minutes, if you have never opened a MID before, it will take about 2-3 hrs.

"ribbon cable wedged between the two pieces of glass" - this is not the case. The ribbon cable is not between the glasses, it is on the glass which can be pulled off quite simply if you want to replace it.

"how you would attach a new ribbon cable to the actually glass display portion" - first you need to use tape to fix the ribbon in the right position, then you need to put the original metal clips and the silicone spacer back which will make the connection between the glass and the pads of the ribbon cable. This is exaclty the same process as what you do on the panels side - you simply need more light as it is a bit more difficult to see the pads on the LCD glass.

Anyway, we give you full instructions with pictures which covers the whole replacement process step-by-step.

How does this fit with your experience?

Thanks,
CL

#20 ·
I took my MID apart thinking about repairing... decided against it

so i looked on ebay and got a 100000% perfect one for 140 shipped that had DSP and the high cluster for the 540
i would recommend be patient and look around.. i was so excited when i found it. The seller had it for 200$ with best offer... sent him a few messages and we agreed on 140$

i do have my old one sitting in the drawer if someone would like to buy it to try to repair or i can attempt to repair myself and then try to resell... just some of the buttons, the black is rubbing off

#21 ·
short on time right now so will give the nuts and bolts. Congrats on finding a 10000% perfect Mid on Ebay. I did too. If you think it woill remain so, you will be disappointed. It will suffer a fate no different from your old one. There were no design upgrades. You bought a fish, I am trying to learn to fish to feed myself for a lifetime.

In my recollection, the glass side was the issue. The circuit board side requires the mechanical effort he speaks of. iirc, there were two dark pieces of "glass" and one pc. of glass slightly smaller than the other. The ribbon virtually "disappeared" between the glass sandwhich. Ask him to show you a picture of just the glass display end where you can see this simple taped connection. I have been wrong before, but I don't believe there is such a taped-on affair. I want to see a pic of it.

#23 ·
540IMan and others,
Bilasz, the guy who sells new ribbons via eBay, sent the following pictures from a Russian guy who posted on a Russian BMW site. Do these picture accurately represetn what you went through attaching the ribbon to the MID array??
Wallet Material property Finger Rectangle Metal

Text Finger Material property Hand Font

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Technology

#25 ·
540IMan and others,
Bilasz, the guy who sells new ribbons via eBay, sent the following pictures from a Russian guy who posted on a Russian BMW site. Do these picture accurately represetn what you went through attaching the ribbon to the MID array??
View attachment 197677

View attachment 197678

View attachment 197679

View attachment 197680
I guess it could be. but never went that far as I had no new ribbon. As you can see, it looks very dicey IMO. You pays your way, you takes your chances. does not look real promising and I don't squirm easy.

#27 ·
MID removal is simple. Pull off the volume knob. There is a small hole behind it, just below the shaft. Insert a small allen wrench (Sorry I don't remember the size, a TORX also works). You will feel it catch the screw. Turn clockwise 1/4 turn to release the spring catch. The MID will swing out from the left to right.

#28 · (Edited)
Been researching threads and found a couple repair options, VDO Repair, they will fix the mid for $269, including return shipping, and fully warrant the repair for one year.

http://vdorepair.com/

I found a guy on Ebay in Long Beach, CA with great feedback that claims to have repaired hundreds of them. He charges $193 with return shipping, one year warranty. Using Microsoft Bing Cashback and Ebay Bucks nets this to about $175. I just shipped my MID off to him, he promises one to two day turn around. I will report back on his speed and quality of repair.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...89QQitemZ400097352841QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

I am not too keen on buying a used unit off Ebay and simply watch the pixels fail again...figured this was a better, and longer lasting option.

#29 ·
This was an epic fail for me. I bought a used MID and called it a day after a month of jacking with my old MID. I even got the magnifying soldering station out and still had an impossible time holding the ribbon in place on the LCD side. The instructions said to use tape and that works great on the circuit board side but the LCD side is near impossible to see the contacts. I was able to for a brief second to see my pixels when I tested the MID in the car. I had the pressure clip on with the tape and pink pad on the circuit board side and had the LCD in one hand while I touched the contacts with the ribbon in the other hand. I have had a friend with an Audi having similar issues have success with this but he has had training at UTI, he says they go over different types of connections and repair methods. He tried to help me out but he also did not have any luck. I still have everything apart and am willing to give this a shot just to have another MID, I already lost one row on the used MID. I have coilovers and I noticed ever since the lower and stiffer setup my pixel problem accelerated on my old MID and cluster. I think the jarring ride breaks the brittle ribbon contacts as the ribbon drys out over time.

#30 ·
540M, I am very interested in the $180 west coast solution. I have also been totally unsuccessful re-ribboning my used MID. Very frustrating as I am sure I did the ribbon repair correctly. I'm ready to bite the bullet and the cost and have the Long Beach boys fix it.

#31 ·
I had my MID replaced under the BMW N/A sol'n part credit at the dealer. I'm happy I did because less than a year later the new MID started to display dead pixels as well & I had it replaced again for free.

#32 ·
I had the same with NA BMW but only for the dashboard cluster (safety was the rationale). They said specifically I was on my own for the MID. No safety concern there.
Your result is interesting....

#33 · (Edited)
Okay....so here is the latest! Very quick turn around. I overnighted my MID Monday evening....he got it Tuesday, and repaired it and Fed Ex'd it back to me the same day for delivery today...so left Monday evening and I got it back Wednesday afternoon. Plugged it in and wow, works great....BUT.......in a couple modes, I found the lower, far right digit is not working fully. DAMN! I emailed him and he responded immediately, apologized profusely and asked me to send it back immediately. It is off via Fed Ex and he will have it tomorrow, so I guess I will report again on Friday afternoon. Stay tuned. ;)

If you don't want to go back in the thread, this is the Ebay repair guy I used: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...89QQitemZ400097352841QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.