96 z3 remote keyless-entry security system only 3 chirps - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
96 z3 remote keyless-entry security system only 3 chirps

Hoping someone may help. I feel like such an idiot ... bought my z3 over three years ago and never opened the owner's manual for the remote keyless entry/security system. Just thought all along that the three chirps meant that my car was being alarmed - never thought twice that it was weird for the buttons not to automatically lock and unlock the doors and trunk. could-a, should-a, would-a ... now my warranty is over, so wondering if there may be some advice on this.
Does anyone think it might just be a fuse? The little red light on the console has never lit up ever.
Also, this may or may not be related ... but with electronic/electrical system nightmares, who knows? ... the cruise control works irratically ... especially during warm to hot weather, but also sometimes when it is cool/cold. And, the a/c (blue) button doesn't usually stay pushed in on its own, I use a snap top from a baby wipes canister along the side of the button when I push it in. Seems like that is the perfect way to align it.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 M Roadster
3 chrips is that alram is not turning on. normally for due to one of the interlock switches, door, trunk hood and radio.

For me it was the hood switch - loose connector.

TC Kline S/A Coilovers | Sharked | Turner Slotted Rotors | Axxis Ultimate Pads | SS Front Strut | IE Subframe Bushings | IE Rear Toe/Camber Kit
Whalen Shift Machine | Stygar Clutch Pedal | CDV Delete | LeatherZ Armrest | Whalen seat bushings | Z3Solutions Windblocker | Shift Pin fix
Old 02-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Oldman M Coupe

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe
Does car have aftermarket radio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
Oldman M Coupe asked question below

Hi Oldman, I just had my stock radio change and this problem started. I figure out that I need to type of bypass for the small white connector. Can you advice what I can do.

Thank you.
1998 BMW Z3 1.9. Original Radio was an Alpine with the large Black connector that handles all the radio function and a small white connector that I assume is the security system.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Oldman M Coupe

Mein auto: 2000 M Coupe
View My Garage
Does car have aftermarket radio?

Last edited by class51600; 07-29-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
It usually due to the hood or radio switch. I've gone through three of the hood switches and now just have the hood switch unplugged to bypass it. The problem can also be the radio switch especially if you have changed out the stock radio. There is a switch in the back that indicates if the stock radio is installed or not. You can also unplug that switch to bypass it, but you will need to remove the radio to access the switch. If it isn't one of those, then it could be one of the door or trunk switches, but the hood and radio are usually the problem.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 PM

I know for a fact that its the radio, the reason is I took the stock radio put it back and it works just fine. What I need is some kind of plug that would make the system believe the radio is connected. Apparently this security system checks that the radio is still there.

Last edited by class51600; 07-29-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 1.9L DASC Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by class51600 View Post
I know for a fact that its the radio, the reason is I took the stock radio put it back and it works just fine. What I need is some kind of plug that would make the system believe the radio is connected. Apparently this security system checks that the radio is still there.
Put a Sharpie cap on the back of your new radio.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 2.3
There's a 2 wire plug that's attached to a "switch" behind the radio. The switch looks like a little square doughnut. Just pull the plug on the switch.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Put a Sharpie cap on the back of your new radio.
I will search for sharpie caps but never heard of it. So what your saying is to put this sharpie cap on the OEM cable?

thank you
Old 08-01-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMax View Post
There's a 2 wire plug that's attached to a "switch" behind the radio. The switch looks like a little square doughnut. Just pull the plug on the switch.
I understand that part. The OEM cable has both switches that fit on the OEM radio, but the new radio does not have that second switch so I was looking for a plug to the second switch.

Thank you.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:35 AM

What everyone's referring to is the alarm switch at the back of the radio socket under the dash. There is a black "nub" on the back of the factory radio that inserts into the switch hole when the radio is slid into the dash. This "hole" has two horizontal pieces that move apart from each other when the nub is inserted. This lets the alarm system know that the radio is still in the dash. You can take the nub from the back of the factory radio and screw it onto the back of your new radio to accomplish the same thing. I suggested using a sharpie cap if you have already lost the original factory radio nub. NoMax was suggesting that you just disconnect the radio alarm switch rather than trying to use the factory nub/sharpie cap. This switch is not on the back of the radio but inside the radio slot in the dash.

Photo of switch installed (top back of photo - black hole):

Up close photo of switch showing the switching mechanism:

Not a Z3 photo but note the black "nub" sticking out of the rear of radio. This black nub gets inserted into the switch hole in the photos above.

Last edited by Monolith; 08-02-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z3
Idk 96's came with a keyless entry. Mine doesnt
Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
What everyone's referring to is the alarm switch at the back of the radio socket under the dash. There is a black "nub" on the back of the factory radio that inserts into the switch hole when the radio is slid into the dash. This "hole" has two horizontal pieces that move apart from each other when the nub is inserted. This lets the alarm system know that the radio is still in the dash. You can take the nub from the back of the factory radio and screw it onto the back of your new radio to accomplish the same thing. I suggested using a sharpie cap if you have already lost the original factory radio nub. NoMax was suggesting that you just disconnect the radio alarm switch rather than trying to use the factory nub/sharpie cap. This switch is not on the back of the radio but inside the radio slot in the dash.

Photo of switch installed (top back of photo - black hole):

Up close photo of switch showing the switching mechanism:

Not a Z3 photo but note the black "nub" sticking out of the rear of radio. This black nub gets inserted into the switch hole in the photos above.

Question #1 - I though to do that but the small white switch which appears to be the obvious alarm is connected to a semi large computer board so I wonder if taking the white piece off will not work if the system needs the board to react properly or will the switch work with out the board.

Question #2 - How do I disable the alarm to the radio?

Question #3 - what is a sharpie cap

Thank you.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Question #1 - I though to do that but the small white switch which appears to be the obvious alarm is connected to a semi large computer board so I wonder if taking the white piece off will not work if the system needs the board to react properly or will the switch work with out the board.

Question #2 - How do I disable the alarm to the radio?

Question #3 - what is a sharpie cap

Thank you.
Answer #3 The cap from a Sharpie pen.

dj
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sharpie_01.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	240829  
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 08-05-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfitter View Post
Answer #3 The cap from a Sharpie pen.

dj
This is very strange the area you show in your picture that has the black rubber looking (sharpie like) is only a mounting bracket on the Original radio. If you look at the large black plastic part the one that handles all the connection to all the speaker cables on the right side of your picture, under that part there is a small white plug, this plug appears to be the one that controls the security system for the car's radio, this plug looks something like this.

------------
O O O O -
O O O O -
O O O O -
------------

As far I can tell this is the part that handles the radio connection to the security system. I would be interested in removing the entire plug from the system but I have no idea when it end up on this model of car.

Thank you

Last edited by class51600; 08-05-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:20 PM

You're talking about the IBUS connector. It goes to the CD changer in your trunk.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:29 PM

I'm very sorry everyone I just read the entire thread and not understand what I have been doing wrong. I will try the sharpie (I still have nub) solution.

Thank you.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Oldman M Coupe

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe
Pull down the glove box a little and you will find a single wire plug coming off the alarm module. Disconnect it, I think the wire is purple. That will leave radio and hood out of the circuit. Really can open the hood to easy from the outside.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:36 PM

Thank you I will look at both options.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Thank you I will look at both options.
Just to reiterate - the nub at the back of the radio is NOT a mounting point for the radio. It really is part of the alarm. If the radio is removed with the alarm set, the nub triggers the alarm by letting the contacts of the switch under the dash come together.

NoMax was suggesting that you unplug the switch that the nub goes into to remove it from the alarm circuit. Oldman is accomplishing the same thing by having you disconnect the wire at the alarm module instead of at the switch. Understandable?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:57 PM

Hi Guys just wanted to tell you that I finally got the time to fix the key-less entry here are the pics
Original place of switch on my 1998 Z3

Switch with the piece stuck on it then taped with electrical tape

New Radio operational

Last edited by class51600; 08-24-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 Roadster 2.3
Guys, I'm troubleshooting the same problem. When I open and close either the driver or passenger door the lights go on an off as expected. Same for the trunk. I used my cell camera to test, as well as depressing the switch with a pen. I disconnected the hood switch. I took the radio out and this is what I see:

http://postimage.org/image/2xyzyoo4/

http://postimage.org/image/2xxcfc6c/

If I understand correctly from the above posts and pictures, there is supposed to be another set of wires and rectangular black plastic switch mounted behind that bracket where my fingers are. There is currently no such thing there. Does that mean the switch is already disconnected?

Second question, if I have checked all the lights and disconnected the radio and hood switches, what else, if anything, could cause the three beeps? Bad alarm system computer?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 PM

Chances are the switch fell off behind the hole. Two wires go to it. Just reach down in back and see if you can locate it. It's not mounted very well and can be knocked off quite easily with the radio if you're not careful when installing the radio.

I'd say this is your source of the three beeps. This switch needs something in the hole or it will not allow the alarm to set.

Last edited by Monolith; 09-12-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
As has been said before you don't need to put anything in the switch just follow the wires from the switch and you will find a connector just unplug the connector. It works fine with the switch just unplugged you only need to put something in to trick it into thinking the radio is there if you leave it plugged in. The switch is unplugged on the 2 Z3's I own and they work fine.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 Roadster 2.3
Okay, so just in case I was missing something, I went to take another look at what was behind the radio. The only things there were the radio wiring harness, the black antenna wire and this round connector... which I then realized was the connector to the blower knob. : -| Dammit. I reconnected it. There is NOTHING else there. I am sure. I stuck my arm in every possible location and checked where all the wires went to. Nothing that looks like the switch in the picture, in fact, nothing there at all except wires that run to the 3 knobs that control the climate. When you say "unplug the connector" does that mean you can unplug it totally, take it out and use it for a doorstop? Or should it be hanging around in there, being disconnected?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search