BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

SES Codes, need help Please

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bluebee 
#1 ·
Hello all

well, i've had my check engine light on for a little while and finally got around to checking it out with carsoft and resetting

it pulled up...

140 Activation proportional cooling

80 function secondary air system Bank 1

81 function secondary air system Bank 2

i reset and drive for a day, and they pop back up

i thought it might be the secondary air pump, but it is 50-60* out and dont think the SAPump would be trying to go off or trigger a code

so any help is greatly appreciated... nothing more annoying than seeing the CEL light on and my airbag light too (passenger side seat sensor)

See less See more
#2 ·
The SAP will run for a minute upon start-up every time you start the car regardless of the temp outside. You need to see if it is running or not. If it is not running you need to see if you get voltage at the connector. Car MUST be dead cold and SAP will only run for about 60 seconds so you start at the pump-check for voltage and then work your way back. The relay is in the white box UNDER the passenger-side cabin air filter. Remove 4 screws and locate the relay. Make sure that on the heavy red wire you are getting +12V. The relay is salmon in color. If no 12 volts at the relay you qare in trouble as the fuse is under the pssenger seat.Seat must come out and it is buried by 1" of stiff insulation and it is a weird fuse you can only get at dealer and a few parts shops. Let me know ifyou are not getting 12 VDC at the relay and then I can walk you through getting to fuse. Disconnect battery first if you have to go there as you will set an air bag light if you don't. If pump runs, then we look at air valve, sufficient pressure, etc.

#3 ·
thank you for the reply, will def have to give this a try later today or tomm

i thought for some reason that it was only activated when the temp was lower than like 37*

but i reset my codes, and 3 starts later its back and the SAP isnt running so i guess this is my problem

hoping a fuse or relay is the problem but i'll bet i need a new pump or whatever is most expensive, just my luck

#4 ·
Disconnect your pump and check the voltage at the connector. You will need to allow car to sit for several hours to cool. The SAP will run regardless of temp as it pumps air into the exhaust stream leaning it out as the car was showing that it was exceeding emissions tests in USA for the first minute or so running too rich. You will need to pull the RF wheel and disconnect the front wheel inner panel to get at the pump. Set up your meter so it is ready to go and have someone start your car so you need not run fast and verify that pump is getting voltage. you should read either 12 VDC or negative 12 VDC if your test leads are backwards. If your pump is getting voltage but not turning I will be a little surprised as a frozen motor will often blow the 50 amp fuse. If you have a 12 VDC power supply or battery and a charger, you can remove the three screws and the hose and test it on the bench. If your fuse is blown, disconnect battery and pull passenger seat. There is a fine stainless steel wire which send a signal as to whether the seat is forward or back and sends this signal to the air bag system. Carefully remove the wire and then remove 4 rail bolts which hold the seat to the floor pan. You can just slide the seat rearward and put in back seat foot area. Then you must remove the carpet sill plate to free-up the carpet and then get the carpet out of the way. You will find a stiff 1" thick hard piece of insulation. I cracked mine removing it. The SAP fuse is inside a fuse box and is the farthest left fuse. remove fuse and check it. If it tests good then you are likely dealing with a bad relay. Should be a heavy gauge red wire going to relay coil. See if you have voltage there. If you do, then replace the relay. They are only about $15 bucks. Let me know if you need help. You can take pump apart (water will likely pour out) and see if you can free up motor. to spin easily. I'll subscribe to this thread as I have been through all this myself.

Bill

#5 · (Edited)
This succinct request today resulted in a testing procedure of the SAS...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Help!!!
P1423
p1421
p0420
To which Johnstern provided this nice procedure ...
Basic SAS diagnostic. *This will not completely diagnose difficult SAS problems, but it will tell you what has failed. *This must be done at cold start, probably after the car has been sitting all night.

Disconnect the large hose (from the SAP-Supplimental Air Pump) and the small vacuum hose (from the electric vacuum solenoid valve) from the SAS check valve. *This can be done the night before. *You need to squeeze hard on the ribbed parts of the plastic ring at the quick disconnect fitting of the large plastic hose and wiggle it off. *The vac hose just pulls off but if it had been in place for a long time you may need to grab it with a pair of pliers and gently twist it a bit to break it loose. *Then pull it off (this hose can be very dried out and need replacement).
Now start the engine and run around to the right (passenger) side of the engine compartment and observe what's happening.

If you hear exhaust noises from the check valve, it is stuck open & needs replacement and/or cleaning. *Cleaning may or may not work. *

Now feel for a vacuum (sucking) at the disconnected vac hose. *If no vacuum, you have a problem with the hoses or the electric vacuum valve. *If you feel a vacuum, plug the hose into the check valve. *It should open and when it does you will hear exhaust noises from it. *If no exhaust noises, the check valve is stuck closed and needs replacement or cleaning-see above.

All this time there should be a very strong flow of air from the big plastic hose. *If not, the pump is not running and needs diagnosis.

Please remember that the SAS System only runs for about a minute after startup so you will have to be quick with your inspections. *If the System shuts down before you are finished, you will have to let the engine completely cool be fore you can proceed.*

If you find that the SAS check valve is malfunctioning, you can replace or clean it, your choice. *If the air pump or the vacuum is not working, they will need further diagnosis-see CN90's (CNN) complete write up on the SAS System.
See also:
- How the secondary air system (SAS) and secondary air pump (SAP) and air valve, check valve, & electrical valve operate (1) & how to maintain (1) (2) (3) & replace (1) & troubleshoot the BMW E39 SAS SAP valve secondary air pump system (1) (2) (3) (4) & an SAP valve group buy (1)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.