Sunroof won't slide back, anyone know whatsup? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-02-2010, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325i
Sunroof won't slide back, anyone know whatsup?

about a week ago the sunroof quit sliding back, it tilts up even if i push the button back. anyone know any quick fixes for this? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Try resetting it.
Push and hold the button to tilt the sunroof up. After about 30 sec you should here faint click as the motor cycles on and off again.
Release the button. Viola!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:04 AM

i tried resetting the motor and i heard the click and then let off the button and tried pushing the buttton backwards to open the sunroof completely and it still tilted upward....thanks though ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2010, 07:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to MrGizmo757
Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Well i just had an issue with my sunroof. different problem but i learned that the e46 sun roof is very simple. from what i saw when i took mine apart is that the most likely cause of a jammed sunroof is the arm that moves the sunshade. it has plastic slides that ware out. once these ware out the soft rubber bushings under then them ride on the tracks. and can easily get jammed. the best way to diagnose your issue. is to just remove the glass. this is easy. three torx screw on either side and its out. with the glass out you can see the tracks, the slides, and the arm for the sunshade. the arm is on the drivers side. it has a grey bumper on it flush with the track. this should have some free play. if not then it is jammed. to remove it you have to slid it back under the roof line about six inches. you will see ware the notch ends if you look. get it that far tilt it up on an angle and it should pop out. and with the glass off it would be a great opportunity to lubricate and re grease everything. i used w4-40 to lube and clean. then used white spray lube or lithium silicon grease. it being in a spray can it can get messy but its easy to clean as long as you don't get it on the head liner.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:26 AM

i shall try this, thanks alot ha ill reply with news of joy or failure ha
Old 07-03-2010, 09:01 AM

and it was failure, everything looks fine up there, plastic slides are fairly clean and in god shape. i have narrowed it down to the switch itself, bc when i push the button backwards to slide the sunroof back it doesn't even act like it attempts to, so i need to buy a new switch, anyone know where to get one?
Old 07-03-2010, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 X5 3.0
You can get a recycled one from bmrparts.com that has been cleaned and tested with a warranty.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:16 AM

the bmw cemetery
Old 02-26-2011, 09:36 AM
DixieBimmerGirl

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
I recently had to have a rear window repaired as it got stuck down, and shortly thereafter I got a warning light about my sunroof (which was interesting because we had 8 inches of snow and I have rarely opened it). I tried the fixes on Bimmerfest with no luck, then finally called the dealership. My go-to guy there since I bought the car new told me that I needed to start the car, then push the sunroof button UP and hold it for 30 seconds to 2 minutes to make the reset happen. It turns out that I had been pushing the button at more of an angle and not straight up. In about 30 seconds, the sunroof went through its slide/open etc. sequence and reset itsefl. All at no cost, which was a thrill. This was especially exciting, as I had just spent $432 on the door. I hope this little detail helps someone else.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:35 PM

well the initial problem of the sunroof was the switch and i got it replaced, and it worked great for about a month, then the sunroof jammed..... sooo i have given up on the sunroof and unplugged the switch so there is no temptation to open it...watta shameeee
Old 02-28-2011, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
http://www.lincomatic.com/e46sunroof/e46sunroof.html

there are a few pieces on the sunroof that can cause problems and if you haven't lubed the tracks you should. I thought mine was toast a while back but after the new clips on the shade, repositioning of the "wiper" looking piece in the back, and lube all around it works just fine again.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 PM

the link i have been waiting for! just really have no idea when ill ever get around to this ha. THANK YOU!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Same sunroof problem after repairs to rear windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Coggin View Post
I recently had to have a rear window repaired as it got stuck down, and shortly thereafter I got a warning light about my sunroof (which was interesting because we had 8 inches of snow and I have rarely opened it). I tried the fixes on Bimmerfest with no luck, then finally called the dealership. My go-to guy there since I bought the car new told me that I needed to start the car, then push the sunroof button UP and hold it for 30 seconds to 2 minutes to make the reset happen. It turns out that I had been pushing the button at more of an angle and not straight up. In about 30 seconds, the sunroof went through its slide/open etc. sequence and reset itsefl. All at no cost, which was a thrill. This was especially exciting, as I had just spent $432 on the door. I hope this little detail helps someone else.
Thanks for this tip - I also had my rear window repaired a couple of weeks ago. I reset exactly as you said and problem fixed - thanks again!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgirl View Post
Thanks for this tip - I also had my rear window repaired a couple of weeks ago. I reset exactly as you said and problem fixed - thanks again!
Read the e46 wiki, ladies - link above the first post on this page. It has info on window regulators, sunroofs, and a lot of other good stuff to keep your e46 in tip top shape.

BTW, if you catch your window regulator before it eats itself, it can be fixed with a zip-tie and a little lube, no lie. see the wiki.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 05-25-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Bmw sunroof won't open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Coggin View Post
This worked perfectly on my 07 328i Coupe. Thanks Lori Coggin

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search