BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Just curious: How close is your radiator date code to the production date of your E39

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bluebee 
#1 ·
Just curious:
How close is your radiator date code to the production date of your E39?

According to realoem, my production date is 11/2001 and the date code on my original radiator sticker (passenger side upper edge) says 11/21/2009.

Wow. They don't let the plastic cool on those radiators before putting them in the vehicle.

Just curious ...
What other parts have a classic date-code sticker we can reference?
Were your parts also just-in-time inventory like mine (within a week)?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Considering

that the E39 stopped production in 03 and it is now 10. Knowing our cooling systems and the way the radiators are designed as a 'throw away' item if they are close, then you'd better be getting another one ready...cuz that puppy is gonna blow.

#4 ·
The original rad and most of the other original parts I replaced with my recent cooling system overhaul were dated around March 1999. My car "build date" is April 1999.

Incidentally, some of the parts, if you look, have a kind of dial- or clockface-style date indicator stamped into the plastic. One for month and another for a range of years. Best I could tell, all were pointing at 3/99.

#7 ·
So far, it looks like the radiators are built about a month before the E39 is shipped out. Mine, at 1 week, must've been at a rush time just before the dot-com bust!

As for the date code, here is a 2001 date code on my original failed GKR FSU from the FSU autopsy thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.