BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

dash vent crack...

15K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Got5.on.it 
#1 ·
Did a search and did not find anything and was curious to know if this is a common problem. How would I do a repair? thanks!

#3 ·
Dash Vent Crack

Not only does every BMW 5 series have it, but all LEXUS SC 400 and SC 300 all have the same problem. Don't lose sleep over it. It's old ! There isn't any part on a BMW made of plastic or rubber that doesn't crack. Just got done replacing the windshield cover strip -- $38. and an hour of elbow grease and an ounce of Astroglide

#7 ·
Not only does every BMW 5 series have it, but all LEXUS SC 400 and SC 300 all have the same problem. Don't lose sleep over it. It's old ! There isn't any part on a BMW made of plastic or rubber that doesn't crack. Just got done replacing the windshield cover strip -- $38. and an hour of elbow grease and an ounce of Astroglide
Mine's not cracked. What are you talking about?

#8 ·
both my e39's cracked.

#10 ·
Is it the center vent? Mine cracked about 6 years ago. I'm anal, so I went ahead and replaced it with a new one. I think I paid around $75 for a new part from Crevier BMW

#11 ·
Mines cracked, top left. I tried super glue and it came off again... maybe I'll get around to fixing it sometime :dunno:

#14 ·
My center vent has a crack in the top left corner...happened several months ago. I ordered a new one from Tischer BMW last week, they are not all that expensive. Should be here in another day or two...then no more crack! ;)

So the repair is "get a new one". Seriously, gluing or any other attempt will not look so good...

#15 ·
My center vent has a crack in the top left corner...happened several months ago. I ordered a new one from Tischer BMW last week, they are not all that expensive. Should be here in another day or two...then no more crack! ;)

So the repair is "get a new one". Seriously, gluing or any other attempt will not look so good...
You couldn't even notice it when I has mine glued... It looked WAY better than not having it glued.

This is the best pic I can find right now. As you an see, the left side it broken. It seems to be extremely common. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387251

#17 ·
Yup, I have a couple old hard plastic spatulas for the job, and will do it this weekend, "quacktheduck" demonstrated how to get it out for me a while back, so I am "good to go". You are right, the bowden cable will be the hardest part...I have no issues with trying to keep my car from showing it's age. I've replaced the front grab handle on my arm rest, and various other trims peices and parts if they get chipped, discolored or ratty looking. Most of the stuff is not particularly expensive. MID display pixels was fixed last fall, and working with BMWNA presently on my cluster pixels...they just started acting up over the weekend. Urgh! :(

#18 · (Edited)
For those about to replace their center vent, here is the procedure:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1242162&highlight=centre+air+vent+replacement

I am off to do mine right now....new vent is only $69 from Tischer, plus $9 or so for shipping. :)

Took about 30 minutes to complete...I was confused with detaching the Bowden cable at the distal end (opposite the vent). When facing the cable, the white clip, you pry it from the top, and toward you. Which is to the right or toward the passenger side of the car. Removing the vent is most easily done using a rigid, plastic spatula...you slide it around under, and across the top to release the tabs, then it comes straight out. ;)

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks for that update. I'm sure others will be helped by your Bowden cable advice. Mine will probably need replacement (original one lasted 6 years, this one has now been on 6 years) so I will use this post as a refresher on this job.

#23 ·
I had to take my glasses of to see it but it's cracked, never even saw it until this thread.
Me neither. The other side of mine is cracked like yours, where you can barely see the crack.

What's the consensus on the best fix? Crazy glue?

Attachments

#24 ·
I've got the same crack, but it's top and bottom and if I touch it the wrong way it falls out***8212;I can still use the control though. Same thing happened to the vent in the passenger side door. Really minor thing for me but it's irritating when the parts fall off.

#26 ·
#27 ·
Lets see if i can't revive this....

My 528 has been doing this, small and large pieces of small black/gray foam coming out of the vents. Certainly some type of foam filter or a method to seal gaps in the tubing.

From what I've read, there might be a second permanent foam filter in the dash that catches debris from the vents. Or it is some type of "weather-proofing" for gaps in the ac system tubing. Either way it looks like a fix is taking apart the dash?

Anybody done this yet, or having same problem.

Get Better bluebee----

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.