Did anybody install rear side shades? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series

3 Series & 4 Series
The BMW 3 Series and 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 01-02-2004, 03:01 PM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Did anybody install rear side shades?

By that I mean the shades that mount on the inside frames of the rear windows, as seen in the pic below.

I would love to purchase, but would love more for someone else to experiment first .

Thanks in advance,

adc
03 330 ZHP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1050
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	24252  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2004, 03:03 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
I saw that but they seem to clip on. I'd only want them if they work like an E39 and retract into the door (which means it's not a retrofit possibility).
Old 01-02-2004, 07:50 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
I'll be your guinea pig... I bought a set for Christmas.

I was going to post a DIY, but you beat me to it. I'm too tired (lazy?) to go out to the garage and take some photos of them.

Haven't seen my statement yet, but I think they were something like $165 for the pair. They had to be special ordered (FedEx air from Dingolfing works, Germany). Took about 20 minutes to install.

They fit perfectly and the clips that Kaz mentions are barely visible despite their prominence in the ETK shot. And they come with this really b!tchin' storage bag

Look for photos in the AM, maybe sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
By that I mean the shades that mount on the inside frames of the rear windows, as seen in the pic below.

I would love to purchase, but would love more for someone else to experiment first .

Thanks in advance,

adc
03 330 ZHP

Last edited by Scott ZHP; 01-02-2004 at 07:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2004, 08:44 PM
We want the Lion!

Ok, I got motivated, here are some photos...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side1.jpg
Views:	1572
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	24261   Click image for larger version

Name:	side2.jpg
Views:	1715
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	24262  
Old 01-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW & Porsche
Interesting. Did you install this yourself? Can you tell us what was involved?

I also see in the ETK that a similar kit, but with different part number, is available for E46 wagons.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:30 PM
We want the Lion!

Yes, I installed these myself; it was really easy. The only tool involved is a thinblade screwdriver to help with snapping the clips into place.

The kit includes 8 clips, 4 per side: 2 on the back side of the forward window pillar, one on the top of the rear window pillar, one on the bottom) . The clip are thin black spring steel with small rubber "lips" and snap tightly over the pillars. Each clip is made specifically for it's install spot.

Clipping them in takes about 5 secs a piece... the shades are first centered, inserted forward into the B pillar, then down near the door lock pin (shade has a groove in it to accomodate the pin). The top is bowed slightly down and inserted under the top clip.

I'll take a photo of the install instructions (all 1 pages of it, in German too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Interesting. Did you install this yourself? Can you tell us what was involved?

I also see in the ETK that a similar kit, but with different part number, is available for E46 wagons.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:37 PM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Scott, you're my hero!

No, really, you are.

Many thanks, I'll rush to order and install them. I guess after that I'll do the rear sunshade, my son does NOT like direct sunlight at all. Makes him squint and sneeze. . Very distracting if I'm driving.

adc
03 330 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP
Yes, I installed these myself; it was really easy. The only tool involved is a thinblade screwdriver to help with snapping the clips into place.

The kit includes 8 clips, 4 per side: 2 on the back side of the forward window pillar, one on the top of the rear window pillar, one on the bottom) . The clip are thin black spring steel with small rubber "lips" and snap tightly over the pillars. Each clip is made specifically for it's install spot.

Clipping them in takes about 5 secs a piece... the shades are first centered, inserted forward into the B pillar, then down near the door lock pin (shade has a groove in it to accomodate the pin). The top is bowed slightly down and inserted under the top clip.

I'll take a photo of the install instructions (all 1 pages of it, in German too).
Old 01-03-2004, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto:
Great! My wife and I are expecting at the end of April. Anyone have the part numbers for the touring?

It looks like they shades don't retract, but clip in whole. How do they fold down or roll up if you want to remove them?
Old 01-04-2004, 07:15 AM
We want the Lion!

ETK part numbers:

51.16.0.006.997 (touring/wagon, verify this with your dealer)
51.46.0.004.485 (sedan)

The sedan is $193 retail, but 20% off at most sites that take a CCA discount.

Instructions attached, my scanner quit, sorry for the dodgy photo!

The shades have a spring steel frame surrounded with rubber tube. To remove one, just flex it at the top and it pops right out of the clip. You get a handy bag to store them in that velcros to the back of the rear seat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	instructions.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	24305  
Old 01-05-2004, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Wow Scott. Your the DIY King.

Can the window roll up and down with the shade in place?
Old 01-05-2004, 09:25 AM
We want the Lion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfeiner
Wow Scott. Your the DIY King.

Can the window roll up and down with the shade in place?
Windows roll up/down just fine. Same for the door locks. My kids think it's hysterical to sit in their carseats and shout "Driver, take me home".
Old 04-06-2004, 05:04 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 991.2
Quote:
ETK part numbers:

51.46.0.004.485 (sedan)

The shades have a spring steel frame surrounded with rubber tube. To remove one, just flex it at the top and it pops right out of the clip. You get a handy bag to store them in that velcros to the back of the rear seat.
Oh man, I would like to get a set of these. Been googling for an on-line BMW parts catalog for last 20 minutes...Scott/anyone have a URL that I could order these off of for my '03 E46 Sedan?

Thanks..rich

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330i SP 6 speed
This looks like what I want too. But I have one question. When you don't want the sun screen, you take them off, right? or do they slide into some place? I would like to have sun screen, but I don't want them laying around when I don't need them, like in winter, or at night.

eel
Old 04-06-2004, 07:30 PM
We want the Lion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan
Oh man, I would like to get a set of these. Been googling for an on-line BMW parts catalog for last 20 minutes...Scott/anyone have a URL that I could order these off of for my '03 E46 Sedan?

Thanks..rich
Rich - send me a PM with your email address.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:36 PM
We want the Lion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa
This looks like what I want too. But I have one question. When you don't want the sun screen, you take them off, right? or do they slide into some place? I would like to have sun screen, but I don't want them laying around when I don't need them, like in winter, or at night.

eel
Yes; they unclip, you just take them off. The set comes with a bag that velcros to the inside of the back seat (from inside the trunk). You just take them out and stick them in the bag; takes about 30 seconds. Not as cool as the shades that retract into the door, but much cheaper as well (my wifes X5 had one of these retractables replaced under warranty: $274 for the part) .

To be honest, I've never removed them, they are perforated just like the rear shade and you can see thru them.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Rich - send me a PM with your email address.
Scott - on the way, many thanks indeed...rich

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi 328/f350/mb320-4m
shades

Quote:
Scott - on the way, many thanks indeed...rich

sounds cool i didn't know they made them, thought i was smart when i learned of the rear electric shade (here) and ordered it, I gotta get me a pair now!
330xi 04 blk(j) blk lther, coldwp/sport/premium pkg's, DNAV,HK,R elec sunshad, xenon, plushmats,cd chger,StepT, Runflts w/alert,sirus sat . 328is 98,525xi-2007-Idrive/nav, headsup and 20waaayout seats,2000 328i wagon.X5D, blk/blk. 2014 535xi 2013 X5D 2016 340x msport/adaptive
Old 04-08-2004, 06:32 PM

Well, this might as well turn into a "shady" topic but does anyone have a good idea for a manual retrofit rear shade? I've had a go googling for some to mount in the back window. Ideally I'd like ones that mechanically fit in the window that can be (relatively) easily removed, leave no (big) permanent changes in the car, have decent visibility yet cut some of the sun.

Best I found so far was:

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/reresuforcav.html

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:04 PM
We want the Lion!

Rich-

Have you seen my other DIY for the rear sunshade?

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=rear+sunshade

The install looks worse than it actually is...

Quote:
Well, this might as well turn into a "shady" topic but does anyone have a good idea for a manual retrofit rear shade? I've had a go googling for some to mount in the back window. Ideally I'd like ones that mechanically fit in the window that can be (relatively) easily removed, leave no (big) permanent changes in the car, have decent visibility yet cut some of the sun.

Best I found so far was:

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/reresuforcav.html

Old 04-09-2004, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Rich-

Have you seen my other DIY for the rear sunshade?

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=rear+sunshade

The install looks worse than it actually is...
Yow! I had not seen that (honest) when I did a search for "shade". That looks great. Would it be possible to email me the pdf with the sunshade instructions? I am going down to the local dealer for a quote on the side shades Sat AM, and I will also ask for one on the rear sunshade as well. Thanks Scott

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 04-09-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:44 PM

Scott - Many thanks for the PDF for the install.

I checked at my dealer Sat and got the following quotes:

51.46.0.004.485 SUNVISOR SUNSHADE $207.90 list / $193.00 CCA disc
51.46.9.415.462 SUN BLIND $135.00 list / $125.00 CCA disc

Quote was for 5 business days if they have them in stock, so I save shipping by buying locally. I'll give them a ring and order these I think.

I read over your DIY on both of them, and have a few questions on the rear shade; I'll post them in that thread to keep this on on topic of the side shades (these look pretty easy to install.)

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Scott - Many thanks for the PDF for the install.

I checked at my dealer Sat and got the following quotes:

51.46.0.004.485 SUNVISOR SUNSHADE $207.90 list / $193.00 CCA disc
51.46.9.415.462 SUN BLIND $135.00 list / $125.00 CCA disc

Quote was for 5 business days if they have them in stock, so I save shipping by buying locally. I'll give them a ring and order these I think.

I read over your DIY on both of them, and have a few questions on the rear shade; I'll post them in that thread to keep this on on topic of the side shades (these look pretty easy to install.)

Received these in the post last week while I was on travel. I installed them today. They are the business

Ordered from Louie at Pacific BMW, they had to back order them from Germany but it took about 15 days all told.

Pretty much exactly as Scott described, four clips in the door, then they just snap in. Really impressed with the engineering involved; and a nice storage bag to boot. Windows slide up and down no problem.

Now, on to the rear sunshade!

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Family Man User

Mein Auto: BMW, M-B
Quote:
Received these in the post last week while I was on travel. I installed them today. They are the business

Ordered from Louie at Pacific BMW, they had to back order them from Germany but it took about 15 days all told.

Pretty much exactly as Scott described, four clips in the door, then they just snap in. Really impressed with the engineering involved; and a nice storage bag to boot. Windows slide up and down no problem.

Now, on to the rear sunshade!
Pics? And can you include one of the storage bag?
Old 05-17-2004, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
ETK part numbers:

51.46.0.004.485 (sedan)

Do the wagon parts cover the rear side window too (in the liftgate area), or just the rear passenger windows? Thanks!
Old 05-17-2004, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
Pics? And can you include one of the storage bag?
Sure, they look, well, just like this:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...00&postcount=4

No seriously, Scott's pictures above in this thread are perfect.

The bag is just a bag, i.e. black nylon with velcro closure about the size of a rectangle for both shades.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series
Today's Posts Search