Homage to the Greatest Film Director of All Time and One of the Greatest Films - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: '03 525i
Homage to the Greatest Film Director of All Time and One of the Greatest Films

The following is an email a coworker sent to me. All of the descriptions of the photographs are his. I need to pay a visit myself before the exhibition comes to a close in June:

Last Friday night LACMA presented a screening of 2001: a Space Odyssey. The museum, as you know, is currently displaying the Stanley Kubrick Exhibit that has toured the world starting some years ago in Frankfurt (I believe most recently in Rome). They’ve just finished showing a retrospective of all of Kubrick’s films but popular demand prompted an encore screening of 2001. (A few more will be repeated in June as the exhibit winds to a close…)

In honor of what might be 2001’s final 70mm screening at LACMA (probably to be shown only in digital format in the future…) the Café offered a 2001-themed dinner event. Sample photos below (Part 1).

Although I lost count long ago, this was probably my 300th screening of 2001 in 70mm (maybe over 400 in all formats [He isn't exaggerating when he states this]…but these days anamorphic 35mm screenings are very rare). I’ve even seen the film projected (twice) in anamorphic 16mm…very unsatisfying...! This was back in the late 70’s following multiple re-releases when the film was made available for school and (believe it or not) church screenings (usually Catholic and Jewish Synagogue). As we approach the 50 anniversary in 2018 I will be preparing a retrospective PPT program covering production history, literary and scientific background, and the numinous wonder that inspired the film.

I've seen the film twice myself and both times were with this coworker. The man is a wealth of information...like a walking encyclopedia. Not to mention how awesome his travels have been and continue to be: Various visits to the Kennedy Space Center for shuttle launches with much coveted press passes and access to places most wish they can have; a few years ago he trekked to the the north pole in a Russian nuclear sub to watch a total solar eclipse (he's chased eclipses all over the world); he spent this last New Year's Eve in Antarctica (an expedition to the South Pole this time lol).

Best,

Kubrick’s director’s chair.

Hominid suit worn by Daniel Richter (“Moonwatcher”) in the “Dawn of Man” scene of 2001

Foreground: Olivier Mourgue “Djinn” chair and love-seat like those used in the 2001 Space Station

The “Djinn Chair” was not designed for 2001, but the film made them famous.

Discovery 1 silver service used by astronauts Poole (Gary Lockwood) and Bowman (Keir Dullea) in 2001

Men’s Hamilton wristwatch worn by astronauts in 2001

Scott Alexander’s recreation of the Discovery 1 long-shot special effects model (11 feet in length)

Discovery 1centrifuge engineering study model (about 2.5 feet in diameter)

Hominid mask from the “Dawn of Man” scene in 2001

Red contact lenses used by Daniel Richter (“Moonwatcher”) in the “Dawn of Man” scene of 2001

Space helmet worn by Keir Dullea in 2001

A small video projector was used to place an image of Dullea’s face on a curved screen inside of the helmet.

Color story boards for 2001

Reconstruction model of the “White Room” set in the penultimate scene of 2001 (As you can see, the monolith does not have the right proportions – too wide…)

“Star Child” prop sculpted by Liz Moore

Internal mechanisms were used to slowly move the eyes.

A modern artist’s interpretation of the Monolith in 2001 (wrong proportions again – too tall…)

The proportions of the Monolith in the novel by Arthur C. Clarke were 1:4:9 (squares of the first three integers)but the one in the film was not exactly like this (certainly less thick). At one point Kubrick considered showing it floating above the ground (for the “Dawn of Man” and “TMA-1” lunar scenes)…even more supernatural…!

Kubrick’s daughter Vivian watching her Daddy edit the greatest sci-fi film of all time…(As you mayknow,Vivian played the uncredited role of Dr. Floyd’s daughter “Squirt”)

Manager and waiters preparing for the LACMA Café culinary event prior to the screening of 2001

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 12:20 AM
Banned

Cryogenic Appetizer (Sorry about the flash photography, but I there just wasn't enough light remaining by the time dinner was served***8230

(Popcorn and some sort of unnamed whipped carrot-fruit drink enhanced by sublimation of dry ice***8230

PRIMARY OBJECTIVE: "Steamed Pork Bun" in cryo-bag

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: "Baby Vegetable Solar System" salad

TERTIARY OBJECTIVE: Monolith Barramundi entrée

MISSION DEBRIEFING "Jupiter Dome" dessert

Bing Theater film introduction

Old 03-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 740iL
Nothing looks practical from there. But I have no clue how the future holds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Banned

Numerous notsureifsrs.jpg memes have been conjured in my head.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 92 325i
I honestly liked A Clockwork Orange better but 2001 was still a damn good movie. A good director too, liked to put hidden images and easter eggs in his movies.

Sent from my SCH-I110 using Bimmer App
Primered Black 92' 325i. Ireland Engineering Header, Ireland Engineering Catback, TMS Underdrive pulleys, TMS chip, Bav auto fpr, Power Flow cai, Bav auto coil packs, Cool Carbon pads, Eiback springs, Bilstien Sport HD shocks/struts, 3.23 LSD, Understeer short shifter, 16'' Spal Fan, Goodridge Steel Brakelines, M3 Bumper, Black out grill, clear tails, M3 mirrors.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Love 2001, especially the sonata form - brilliant!

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Omni Extaris

Mein Auto: The Axles of Evil
I saw 2001 in Seattle with my family in 1968 (?).

It was shown on a special screen which was supposed to be a big deal - 70mm stands out in my memory. The screen was curved slightly and very wide.

We made a special trip and drove considerable distance to see it.

That's how cool my father was.

Apparently that type of projection is very rare and not used anymore. As it was explained to me then, they used 2 35mm projectors.

I have probably seen 2001 over 20 times.

The film came out during the 60s space race and we really thought that one day far in the future (2001) there would be this huge orbiting space station and a base on the moon.

2001 was so far away.

Oh, to be a boy. Anything was possible.

If you agreed with me, we’d both be right.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7800&dateline=1275495849

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search