Steering thumb wheel vs iDrive knob - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Steering thumb wheel vs iDrive knob

Wondering- is this a bug or a "feature?"

When scrolling thru radio presets, ipod playlists or cd song lists using the steering wheel's thumb wheel the HUD changes but the nav screen display does not. And vice versa. A little annoying and seems like poor design. If its a bug, any shot that bmw will fix this in a software upgrade?

Content on the HUD is also a little wonky when the system tries to display radio RDS data. But that's for another thread.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Luxury
Never really thought of it as a bug before. I like that I can see it on the HUD, never thought to look down at the Nav Screen when it is on my windshield. I guess it would be good for passengers to see what you are doing though.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750Li & 335i
I wish it would not function separately. During the day, I wear polarized glasses so I don't see the HUD unless I tilt my head sideways. Thus, the convenience of having the control on the steering wheel can only be used awkwardly. Kinda like trying to see if the ASS is disabled while driving. "But that's for another thread."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego G View Post
I wish it would not function separately. During the day, I wear polarized glasses so I don't see the HUD unless I tilt my head sideways. Thus, the convenience of having the control on the steering wheel can only be used awkwardly. Kinda like trying to see if the ASS is disabled while driving. "But that's for another thread."
Have you turned up the brightness all the way on the HUD? My glasses are also polarized and I found that by turning it all the way up I can make pretty good use of it.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:07 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiani View Post
Wondering- is this a bug or a "feature?"

When scrolling thru radio presets, ipod playlists or cd song lists using the steering wheel's thumb wheel the HUD changes but the nav screen display does not. And vice versa. A little annoying and seems like poor design. If its a bug, any shot that bmw will fix this in a software upgrade?

Content on the HUD is also a little wonky when the system tries to display radio RDS data. But that's for another thread.

These are two distinctly separate user interfaces and each operates with a different input device.

Importantly, the iDrive controller has two additional functions that the thumbwheel on the steering wheel cannot replicate. The iDrive controller has distinct shortcuts to all the menus including the critical Options and Back buttons and the iDrive controller can also push east and west to reveal submenus.

BMW realized that it was too difficult and cumbersome to quickly change iPod tracks and radio stations. Thus the reason that the thumbwheel on the steering wheel exists. And, by the way, if you program the 1-8 buttons on the center stack properly you almost never have to touch the iDrive controller anyway.

BJ
Old 07-09-2013, 04:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
And I would be annoyed if they did not function separately.

I use the map all the time, and it would be very annoying if simply changing a track on the iPod or toggling through radio stations meant that I would lose my map information. I also like the fact that this information is private, only I as the driver can see it. It's nice not to have my passengers see the decision I am about to make when I jump the track or change a radio station.

All you have to do is tap the radio button and start spinning the iDrive knob. It's hardly inconvenient. I only wear polarized lenses as well, and if you crank the HUD brightness to maximum you will be able to see it clearly enough.

BJ
Old 07-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750Li & 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerslive2004 View Post
Have you turned up the brightness all the way on the HUD? My glasses are also polarized and I found that by turning it all the way up I can make pretty good use of it.
Thank you! I thought the polarizing effect of the glasses blocked everything at a specific angle so I didn't even try turning it all the way up until you said something. It's dim, but it worked!
Old 02-05-2014, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
And, by the way, if you program the 1-8 buttons on the center stack properly you almost never have to touch the iDrive controller anyway.

BJ
Newbie here, still working out how to simply set favorites and get the wheel do to the right thing though.

Can you share the "proper" setup you suggest?
Old 02-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdwade View Post
Newbie here, still working out how to simply set favorites and get the wheel do to the right thing though.

Can you share the "proper" setup you suggest?
First off, welcome aboard. Here's what you need to know:

1. The 1-8 buttons are shortcuts to various points in the complex iDrive system, they are not merely radio stations.

2. To set a 1-8 button, you navigate in iDrive to the function you want, put the focus (red box) around the function without pushing the controller, and then press + hold the 1-8 Preset you want to set it to.

3. As relates to radio stations, you want to create a list of Favorite radio stations across all bands (XM, AM, FM) in the iDrive core system and then make a 1-8 Shortcut button to just the first station on that Favorites list. By doing so, when you tap that button it puts the system in "Favorites" which is a mix of all the bands instead of in "FM" where you'd only get FM channels; this is important because the right functionality is to hit that 1-8 Shortcut button to put you in Favorites and then use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel to toggle through those Favorite stations.

Great thread on the subject here along with recommended 1-8 Shortcut configurations:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=638894

Mine are predominantly about Navigation as I use the nav all the time and like the split screen on/off toggles and the annoyingly-difficult-to-find directions list. Then it's 1 shortcut for Radio Favorites, 1 shortcut for iPod Media playback, 1 shortcut for Home Address, etc.

BJ
Old 02-05-2014, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
That is indeed how the favorites buttons work. The steering wheel scroll button though, is VERY poor design. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to remove the channel up/down buttons from the steering wheel?!!? The scroll wheel would be "acceptable" if it would stay in sync with what you see on the iDrive display. I don't even you that wheel anymore. I change radio stations with the iDrive controller.

I'm not one of the F30 bashers on this forum. I love the car, except for the whole steering wheel/iDrive interface. My 7 year E92 is much better than what is in this car!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-SD View Post
That is indeed how the favorites buttons work. The steering wheel scroll button though, is VERY poor design. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to remove the channel up/down buttons from the steering wheel?!!? The scroll wheel would be "acceptable" if it would stay in sync with what you see on the iDrive display. I don't even you that wheel anymore. I change radio stations with the iDrive controller.

I'm not one of the F30 bashers on this forum. I love the car, except for the whole steering wheel/iDrive interface. My 7 year E92 is much better than what is in this car!
The iDrive controller syncs to the iDrive screen while the scroll wheel syncs to the instrument panel display. 2 separate systems. The scroll wheel and instrument display keeps your eyes focused straight ahead and are safer than using the iDrive to change stations.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
The iDrive controller syncs to the iDrive screen while the scroll wheel syncs to the instrument panel display. 2 separate systems. The scroll wheel and instrument display keeps your eyes focused straight ahead and are safer than using the iDrive to change stations.
Exactly. It's two different input devices for two different user interfaces.

As far as advancing to the next track, instead of a 'skip' button on the steering wheel, you just scroll down the scroll wheel on the steering wheel one click and boom, you're on the next track.

BJ
Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 PM

I doesn't NOT sync. The channel up/down button next to the radio syncs. The up/down button on the steering wheel (like previous BMW's and all other cars these days) is what is missing. I realize changing stations with two hands on the wheel is safer, but if it doesn't do what you want it to do then you use what does. That's my complaint. Also as long as I'm complaining about the interface, why you can't leave it on the channel info (song/artist) is another question. Whoever designed the interface should be embarrassed.

BJ - It's two input options, for one interface. You've had previous BMW's, so I know you know what I'm talking about.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
I doesn't NOT sync. The channel up/down button next to the radio syncs. The up/down button on the steering wheel (like previous BMW's and all other cars these days) is what is missing. I realize changing stations with two hands on the wheel is safer, but if it doesn't do what you want it to do then you use what does. That's my complaint. Also as long as I'm complaining about the interface, why you can't leave it on the channel info (song/artist) is another question. Whoever designed the interface should be embarrassed.

BJ - It's two input options, for one interface. You've had previous BMW's, so I know you know what I'm talking about.

I'm not understanding you when you say it doesn't "sync". What do you mean by "sync"?

I have the Technology Package, Navigation, Widescreen LCD, Head Up Display, and Enhanced USB so my experience may be different than yours. In my car, the moment I turn the thumbwheel, the Head Up Display shows me a list of radio stations in my Favorites list, lets me scroll through them, and ultimately select one and change the channel. While this is happening, my LCD isn't affected at all. I've got the map up or maybe a split-screen with the artist/song/station name up, that doesn't move, just the HUD display is moving.

In cars without HUD, my understanding is that you have the same experience in your Instrument Cluster. Between the Speedo and the Tach is a small LCD in which you should be able to scroll through the stations as I do on the HUD. Is that correct? If it's not, then what you're describing is merely a function of the fact that you didn't pay for either the Head Up Display or the Enhanced Instrument Contents and thus you've got a wheel on the steering wheel that doesn't do much for you whereas it's incredibly useful for the rest of us.

BJ
Old 02-05-2014, 09:04 PM

I don't have the tech package or nav. I do have a manual though What I mean by sync is what happens when you select a radio station by either the iDrive controller, or by using the up/down button next to the radio. The selected station is highlighted, and is always in view. When selecting a station with the scroll, the station is not highlighted and is not always in view.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't have the tech package or nav. I do have a manual though What I mean by sync is what happens when you select a radio station by either the iDrive controller, or by using the up/down button next to the radio. The selected station is highlighted, and is always in view. When selecting a station with the scroll, the station is not highlighted and is not always in view.
In view where?

Are you talking about the big LCD screen on top of the dashboard or the small area between the speedometer and tachometer?

BJ
Old 02-06-2014, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm sorry but is this really a big deal?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm sorry but is this really a big deal?
I think what I'm reading here (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that there are three different display configurations for radio stations depending on what equipment is on your F30:

1. HUD - stations appear floating over the nose of the car
2. Enhanced Cluster - stations appear between the speedo and tach
3. Base UI - stations only appear on the large LCD atop the dash

If Bill-SD is a #3, I believe his gripe is that the scroll wheel on the steering wheel doesn't do anything and is "out of sync" with the actions on the large LCD. And the reason for that is it's a controller for a feature he didn't pay for (again, someone correct me if I'm wrong as I have never experienced a base UI) and he's using the scroll wheel when he only should be using the iDrive controller knob.

BJ
Old 02-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think what I'm reading here (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that there are three different display configurations for radio stations depending on what equipment is on your F30:

1. HUD - stations appear floating over the nose of the car
2. Enhanced Cluster - stations appear between the speedo and tach
3. Base UI - stations only appear on the large LCD atop the dash

If Bill-SD is a #3, I believe his gripe is that the scroll wheel on the steering wheel doesn't do anything and is "out of sync" with the actions on the large LCD. And the reason for that is it's a controller for a feature he didn't pay for (again, someone correct me if I'm wrong as I have never experienced a base UI) and he's using the scroll wheel when he only should be using the iDrive controller knob.

BJ
If you have the base UI, when you use the scroll wheel the stations are shown as in 2 above. They only show when you are scrolling as otherwise you see the normal display. But you can scroll, find your station and push the scroll wheel to enter your selection. Same for a USB entry.

I think his complaint is this is not shown in the iDrive display so you have no visual indication of what station you are listening to. I don't think this is a big issue.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
If you have the base UI, when you use the scroll wheel the stations are shown as in 2 above. They only show when you are scrolling as otherwise you see the normal display. But you can scroll, find your station and push the scroll wheel to enter your selection. Same for a USB entry.

I think his complaint is this is not shown in the iDrive display so you have no visual indication of what station you are listening to. I don't think this is a big issue.
Gotcha, so there is no #3, thanks.

As for the iDrive display, he doesn't have nav, so what else would the screen show except the station/artist/song information?

BJ
Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Gotcha, so there is no #3, thanks.

As for the iDrive display, he doesn't have nav, so what else would the screen show except the station/artist/song information?

BJ
For most stations the base UI only shows you the call letters and number of the station. A few show the song/artist.

And unless you choose the station through the iDrive controller it does not show even that info, just a list of your presets.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:10 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Quote:
Simple solution. When you are wearing your polarized glasses, turn off the HUD. I have one of my programmable buttons programmed for this as I find the white speed limit info distracting on a dark rainy night. When you turn off HUD, the station info displays in your cluster, just like in my non-HUD 535.

2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 02-06-2014, 11:14 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Quote:
I don't have the tech package or nav. I do have a manual though
Got you beat. I have THREE manuals. The paper copy in the glove box, the one on the HDD, plus the PDF version on my laptop.

2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 02-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Bill:

Getting the windshield replaced, have a loaner for two days, I'm experiencing your setup and now I understand what you're talking about.

Simply put, with the expectations you have you should pretend that the scroll wheel on the steering wheel doesn't exist and just use the iDrive knob all the time. The scroll wheel is a terrific assistant for those of us with HUD or Enhanced Contents, but in the base audio setup it isn't very useful. One-line display kills it.

BJ
Old 02-10-2014, 10:14 AM

Yeah, it's a poor (very) design IMO. I can see where the scroll would be useful for some features, but not for controlling the radio stations. If they added the scroll and left the up/down button I would be happy. Oh well... I do like the car a lot. This is my one complaint.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search