New E36 and DRL Module Problem - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-11-2013, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 325is Coupe
New E36 and DRL Module Problem

Recently I've purchased an US 94 325is, great car but since I am living in Canada the law requires me to have daytime running lights in order to pass inspection.

From what I've searched online it seems that for pre 95 E36 to have DRL all I need to do is to swap the US high beam relay under the steering column with the Canadian DRL module without the 2 extra wiring.

But once I've taken everything apart I was left to find an orange Bosch relay instead of the blue high beam relay beside the brown crash alarm relay, is that the right location for the high beam relay? or have I found the wrong place.

I tried installing the DRL module into the slot but no luck, I've also tried swapping the slot #7 high beam relay inside the fuse box (also an orange Bosch relay) but also no luck.

Anyone have any ideas? I am very confused and frustrated with the situation and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pictures of the slots.

The DRL module installed

The wires coming out (note only 4 wires out of the DRL slot, apparently supposed to be 7?)

The orange Bosch relay

More pictures of everything around it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 11:34 PM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
I believe 1994 is too early to have the blue high beam / high beam + DRL relays. According to the BMW NA ETM for that year, the high beam relay is in the main power distribution box. Only later, did the relay change color and move under the dash on North American cars.

This DIY (in German) suggests what you will need to do to use a later, blue Canadian DRL relay. Alternatively, you could replicate the factory wiring on 1994 Canadian cars and turn on the low beams as DRLs with ignition on.

Last edited by johnf; 07-12-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:50 PM

Thanks! I will give this a try today. So basically from what the DIY suggests, it is done the same way as later models by adding the additional wires for pin 1 and pin 5 except all is done in the fuse box instead.

I am still a little confused as to the part he is talking about soldering pin 1 and pin 8 of the driving relay. Where does the wire from pin 1 go into? Does it have anything to do with pin 8 or it goes into fuse 25 as well.

From for the later models pin 1 would be tapped into the yellow wire, would this be what I'd have to do as well? If so what would the fuse number be on the yellow wire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 02:47 PM
John Firestone

If I were in your shoes, I would find copies of the 1994 and 1998 BMW NA ETMs, print out the two sheets in section 6312.0 of each that show the USA headlight wiring, compare the two, and sort out the pin numbers and wire colors. A little work at a comfortable desk could you spare you from less comfortable trial and error at the car. It's just two pins and connections, but you want the right two pins and connections.

How many pins does your blue DRL module have?

Last edited by johnf; 07-12-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 PM

I got the ETMs and found the page but kind of confused as to reading the diagram and also telling the color of wires. But from the looks of it, it seems that 94 and 98 isn't too different overall.

Also my DRL module has 7 pins and the high beam relay place in the power distribution box has 4 wire connected to it.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:31 AM
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36AlpineW View Post
I got the ETMs and found the page but kind of confused as to reading the diagram and also telling the color of wires. But from the looks of it, it seems that 94 and 98 isn't too different overall.
Section 0110.0 introduces and explains the page layout, symbols and wire colors. To avoid translation errors, BMW sticks to the German abbreviations which are generally close to the English equivalents except for: GE = gelb = yellow, RS = rosa = pink and SW = schwartz = black. The number in front of a wire color is the wire's cross sectional size in square millimeters.

A good warm up and orientation exercise would be to compare the wires running to your low and high beam relays to the wires shown in the 1994 ETM. Compare each wire's color and size as both help to identify it. You can look up the colors and sizes of the relays' power and ground wires in sections 0670.3 and 0670.4. I'm not sure why BMW decided not to show them on the headlight wiring sheets. I like to look them all up and pencil them in before I start wiring.

Quote:
Also my DRL module has 7 pins and the high beam relay place in the power distribution box has 4 wire connected to it.
That's fine, you have a later DRL module. Comparing the 1994 USA wiring to the 1998 CDN wiring, four connections are already wired and your front fog light relay, if you have front fogs, is already wired. That leaves the two missing contacts and wires for the DRL module pins 1 and 5.

DRL module pin 1 should tap into the .35 GE (.35 mm^2 yellow) light switch wire (triangle A on sheets 6312.0-00 and -01 in the 1998 ETM). Probably the easiest place to tap in would be where the wire nears the low beam relay coil: relay K48, pin 8 on sheet 6312.0-01.

Pin 5 should go to fuse F25, specifically it should tap into the thin, 0.5 GN/RT (.5 mm^2 green body with a red stripe) wire running from F25 (see 0670.3-08 in the 1994 ETM).

Did you figure out the bit about first removing the white plastic relay cradle from the black relay socket before adding the two contacts?

Last edited by johnf; 07-20-2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: GN/BL is F23; GN/RT is F25
Old 07-13-2013, 05:49 PM

Thanks for all the help! Everything makes a lot more sense now. Right now I am waiting for the 2 wires for pin 1 and pin 5 to get here from the dealer since I was not expecting to wire before starting this.

Are there hardware store replacements for these leaf spring contacts? Or is it better off just waiting for the real part to come in?

I will try out removing the white plastic from the relay socket later on and hopefully it goes okay.

Also, since my I have the 7 pin DRL module does that mean the fog lights work in all positions including high beam? Or do I still have to ground the .35 RT/WS wire shown in 6312.0-01 in order to do that.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:53 AM
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36AlpineW View Post
Thanks for all the help! Everything makes a lot more sense now.
You are quite welcome. As you see, there is some method to the madness.

Quote:
Right now I am waiting for the 2 wires for pin 1 and pin 5 to get here.... Are there hardware store replacements for these leaf spring contacts? Or is it better off just waiting for the real part to come in?
Likely not: they are AMP automotive/industrial contacts. If you have a large electronics distributor nearby, you might be find their equivalent, but it is probably safer to wait for the BMW contacts. If you use the wrong ones in the relay socket and they don't work, they may not come out. Even the BMW contacts with the matching tools can be well nigh impossible to remove from an old socket.

Quote:
Also, since my I have the 7 pin DRL module does that mean the fog lights work in all positions including high beam?
Unless a previous owner has already modified them, the front fog light relay is grounded by the high beam wiring (at comb terminal junction X1028 on sheet 6312.0-01): to satisfy the law in some US states that the front fogs go off when the high beams go on. I was curious because the older DRL module I have with the exact same BMW part number has six pins and works slightly differently in other ways.

The UN-ECE 48 vehicle standard requires that the front fog lights work independently of the high beams. What does national or provinicial law require? A Wikipedia page has this to say:
Canada has its own Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, broadly similar to the US FMVSS, but Canada does also accept UN-compliant headlamps and bumpers.
Quote:
Or do I still have to ground the .35 RT/WS wire shown in 6312.0-01 in order to do that.
The 1994 ETM suggests you will ground a .5 mm^2 wire. I sometimes think someone couldn't make up their mind what size to make the car's signal wires. Perhaps certain years, someone got a really deal on a size or were exhausting old stock.

Last edited by johnf; 07-21-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:32 PM

Sorry for the slow reply, I finally got my wires in and doing the install right now. Just to confirm which wire pin 5 should be tapped into, fuse 25 is a .5 GN/RT which is green and red according to the 1994 ETM, and you said it is GN/BL on the reply before.

Did you mean to say GN/RT? I really want to make sure it is right before I tap into the wire, thanks!
Old 07-20-2013, 02:43 PM
John Firestone

Yes, F25 is GN/RT. F23 would be GN/BL. I will try to correct my earlier post, and get some more sleep.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:29 PM

Okay I finally got everything hooked up and it all works! Thanks a lot John! Hopefully this post can help others that are having the same issue.

Here's some pictures

With no lights

Old 07-21-2013, 12:34 AM
John Firestone

Good job!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search