Protect leather with child car seat? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Protect leather with child car seat?

You guys with children, how do you protect the leather with a child car seat? I am getting my my 2015 335xi with oyster dakota leather interior this week , and am wondering if I should put something like a towel between the leather and the child seat. Thoughts? What have you done? Worth doing anything at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, Z4M Roadster
They sell car seat protectors for $10 at baby stores. I got those and they work fine. Though my kids don't eat in my bmw. I would be afraid that a towel would trap spills close to the leather.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:11 AM

Oh, cool. I didn't know such a product existed. Makes perfect sense. I'll look into that.

I'm planning on a strict no-food policy in my car (bottled water only), but for road trips, I'll have to relax that a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 09:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 335i Msport
Nice! I need to look into that car seat protector too! We use a towel and it just slides around and need constant adjustments.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:53 AM

FWIW, this is the one I went with: BRICA Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector
Old 12-15-2014, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto:
At the end of the day it's just a car. I HAD a no food policy, but quickly remembered how much fun a road trip is with snacks and drinks. Get a protector from a baby store, but keep the smiles on that precious cargo. Just my opinion.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328ix Sports Wagon
Or do what I did ... get the sensatec ... looks great and cleans up easy.

no Line F31 / Nav, Xenon, Drivers Asst, Heated Seats, Window Shades ...
Old 12-16-2014, 04:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjp4dr View Post
At the end of the day it's just a car. I HAD a no food policy, but quickly remembered how much fun a road trip is with snacks and drinks. Get a protector from a baby store, but keep the smiles on that precious cargo. Just my opinion.
Agreed. You'll also need a kick mat for the back of the front seat when the baby seat goes front facing. 2 pack on Amazon for ten bucks. Keep the car protected but don't stress out.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:26 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB_F31 View Post
Or do what I did ... get the sensatec ... looks great and cleans up easy.
Even so, you still want a towel or a car seat mat underneath. Crumbs, juices, etc. It gets gross under those seats.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: '19 M240 'vert.
This stuff they call "Dakota" ain't leather. It's some plasticized version of something that once covered an animal. You can't tell the difference between it and the Sensatec. You can clean it with sulfuric acid and a belt sander and it'd be just fine.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: 16 435 CV Msport PPK
They sell a floor mat looking thing that is designed to protect seats from baby seat damage. N4S
Old 12-16-2014, 07:37 AM

Get a good seat protector - I found one (well two) @ Target and I added 1/2" foam (from an old yoga mat of my wifes) under the seat protector on the seat ... this helps against indentations over time.

And yeah if time permits with your purchase - and it sounds like it probably doesn't - do consider the Sensatec ... I'm a little surprised how much I like it.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmwatson View Post
You guys with children, how do you protect the leather with a child car seat? I am getting my my 2015 335xi with oyster dakota leather interior this week , and am wondering if I should put something like a towel between the leather and the child seat. Thoughts? What have you done? Worth doing anything at all?
Nice car, congratulations. However a light colored interior plus kids will equal indelible and visible stains over the life of that car. Not just dropped food from a car seat but feet or soccer cleats on the seats and seat backs as they get bigger. A towel on the seat will sop up most from dropped bottles and sippy cups. Or a plastic cover.

Last edited by John MS; 12-16-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmwatson View Post
FWIW, this is the one I went with: BRICA Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector
So how's that car seat protector working out for you? Since the moment I learned about these car seat protectors on this thread, I've been in and out of stores with the wife checking every single one of them out and reading some reviews...can't seem to settle on one. Each make/model had people claiming the color bleeds or sticky residue from the seat protector coming off and ruining their leather seats over time. I would like to pick up one of these but if it is not doing the one thing it is designed to do, then what's the point...
Old 12-19-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsiv View Post
So how's that car seat protector working out for you? Since the moment I learned about these car seat protectors on this thread, I've been in and out of stores with the wife checking every single one of them out and reading some reviews...can't seem to settle on one. Each make/model had people claiming the color bleeds or sticky residue from the seat protector coming off and ruining their leather seats over time. I would like to pick up one of these but if it is not doing the one thing it is designed to do, then what's the point...

Don't over think it if you have kids they're gonna get the back seat dirty at times anyway - that's a fact.

Here's what I bought and they work fine / do the job to prevent seat indentations over time put some yoga mat foam material etc (I a cut section about the size of the seat surface) and put it UNDER the car seat protector.

http://www.target.com/p/eddie-bauer-...#prodSlot=_1_2

Old 12-19-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB_F31 View Post
Don't over think it if you have kids they're gonna get the back seat dirty at times anyway - that's a fact.

Here's what I bought and they work fine / do the job to prevent seat indentations over time put some yoga mat foam material etc (I a cut section about the size of the seat surface) and put it UNDER the car seat protector.

http://www.target.com/p/eddie-bauer-...#prodSlot=_1_2
We saw that one at Target too...Just thought it was too thin at first, but I guess with a yoga foam mat underneath, it may help. We just wanted something that will prevent my daughter's booster seat from scraping against the leather and installing permanent indentations. Not too concerned about mess from the kids...thanks for your help!
Old 12-19-2014, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i
I place the car seat in center since still younger and it works.

I tried the noted Brica and returned it. from center, it blocks and covers the seatbelts.

i eventually got this. simple. easy. right size.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i have to say the oyster interior looks stunning. but you may regret the light color choice in a few years based on typical baby and child use. i purposely chose sensatec with knowledge a baby was on the way and it would be easier long term to work with.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:21 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsiv View Post
I had 4 of them from Target--maybe $10 each. Eddie Bauer brand and some other no-name brand. No color bleeding, no issues. Any stickiness would be from not cleaning up spills shortly after then happen.

You are putting way too much effort into this process.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:24 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewEngineer View Post
I place the car seat in center since still younger and it works.

I tried the noted Brica and returned it. from center, it blocks and covers the seatbelts.

i eventually got this. simple. easy. right size.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i have to say the oyster interior looks stunning. but you may regret the light color choice in a few years based on typical baby and child use. i purposely chose sensatec with knowledge a baby was on the way and it would be easier long term to work with.
1 for $14.69 or 2 for $36.00??? Hmmm....

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search