Salzburg sights - including Villa Trapp - was featured on ABC's 20/20! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 03-18-2015, 05:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i F33 M Sport Verte
Salzburg sights - including Villa Trapp - was featured on ABC's 20/20!

(Edited to add: The below described broadcast did air as scheduled and screen clips from the TV show have been added at post #5 of this thread.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many here include Salzburg in their European Delivery travel plans. For those who have been or plan to go there, it may be of interest to watch tonight's (Wednesday, March 18th) ABC 20/20 Special with Diane Sawyer accompanying Julie Andrews as she returns to the locale of the filming of The Sound of Music in conjunction with the film's 50th anniversary.

My daughter in law, who is an anchor for an ABC affiliate (and former correspondent for Diane Sawyer), just sent me a promo alert after she recognized that the Villa Trapp we stayed at last week on our European Delivery travel was the same as will be featured in part during tonight's special.

Diane Sawyer and Julie Andrews will be standing in this same doorway of Villa Trapp (the actual home the von Trapp family lived in when they fled Austria) as depicted in the photos I took a few days ago with my own family members "performing" there.

(As a side note of historical interest, the Nazi's took over the home after the von Trapp family fled and Hitler visited it during the war.)

ABC's 20/20 airs tonight at 10:00 PM Eastern Time, but you will need to check your local listings.

And here is the Villa Trapp as background for our just picked up from the Welt 435i M Sport xDrive Convertible.

If you catch the special tonight you will also see ABC's Diane Sawyer reflecting with Julie Andrews how much more challenging it would have been for the von Trapp children to slide down these bannisters in the actual house rather than the ones that were created for the movie set.

Last edited by Northcar; 03-20-2015 at 03:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Thanks ! Setting the DVR now.....
We took the SOM tour when we did ED and loved it.
2000 M Roadster Imola Red retired
1998 Z3 2.8L retired
Old 03-18-2015, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535x GT
Ditto. Tnx.
2013 535i xDrive GT
2016 535i xDrive GT Sept ED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 09:50 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
Look great! Agree on the Sat Nav via USB Drive. Some info is not up-to-date. When we were in Brescia, Italy, it almost sent me to the next town for a supermarket.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 03-19-2015, 05:38 AM

Well, the show did go on! Here are some scenes from last night's broadcast featuring Julie Andrews return to Salzburg in the company of ABC's Diane Sawyer juxtapositioned with the same locations I photographed just last week in Salzburg on our European Delivery travel to Salzburg:

At the front door of Villa Trap:

The entrance stairway inside Villa Trapp:

The Villa Trapp Dining Room:

The entranceway:

Mirabell Gardens:

The wedding chapel:

As an added note, the young lady welcoming Dianne Sawyer and Julie Andrews at the entrance and hosting them in the dining room was the gracious host who assisted me in calling the Munich Drop off location to adjust the drop off timing for our BMW as well as providing us help with our day plans in Salzburg.

For the complete reporting of our European Delivery Experience click on the below link to the companion thread describing by way of a photo journal our experiences stopping over in Iceland, the BMW limo transfer from Munich airport to the Welt, the Welt itself including car delivery, the Castes in Schwangau, walking the City Wall at Rothenburg ob der Tauber along with Easter scenes there, the Salzburg visit, and drop off of the car at Log in Out across from the Airport Munich Hilton:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=832606

Last edited by Northcar; 03-20-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:07 PM

An added note - The 50th Anniversary Blu-ray set of The Sound of Music came out last week. Included in it as a bonus feature is a one hour feature with Julie Andrews return to Salzburg and her recollections with regard to making the movie in that locale. Unlike the ABC 20/20 feature with Diane Sawyer a visit to the original von Trapp house that the von Trapp family actually lived in is not included. However, included in the feature is a visit to the Salzburg Puppet Theatre by Julie Andrews where selections from a puppet rendition of the Sound of Music are shown. In that segment the backdrop of the von Trapp house is a replica of the actual house, Villa Trapp!

Old 03-21-2015, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW X1 Xdrive
I hate to admit it, but the only movie I've seen more often than SOM is "The Great Escape". I grew up watching both of them incessantly. But you'll never catch me at one of those sing-alongs.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red) RETIRED
2015 MINI Cooper Convertible (blue) RETIRED
2015 BMW X1 X Drive (blue) RETIRED
2018 BMW X1 X Drive (black)
Old 03-21-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluhwein View Post
I hate to admit it, but the only movie I've seen more often than SOM is "The Great Escape". I grew up watching both of them incessantly. But you'll never catch me at one of those sing-alongs.
Interesting you should mention "The Great Escape." When I was at the gift shop on the grounds of the Hohenschwangau Castle there in Schwangau I came across a book describing the filming of that movie there in the shadows of Castle Neunschwanstien on the plains near Fussen with Steve McQueen and the other actors being housed and/or partying at hotels in the area including the Hotel Lisl in Fussen, Jagerhaus and Mueller in Schwangau, among others.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:52 AM

Here is the video clip of Julie Andrews visiting Villa Trapp!

For those who missed catching the ABC 20/20 Special with Diane Sawyer accompanying Julie Andrews in her return to Salzburg and Julie Andrews' first visit to Villa Trapp here is a link to a You Tube video which begins with Diane Sawyer and Julie Andrews together visiting Villa Trapp.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/rea...music-29746224

Last edited by Northcar; 03-22-2015 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:04 AM

As a follow up curious if any who have subsequently been to Salzburg on their European Delivery travels have encountered the anticipated special events related to this being the 50th Anniversary of the movie Sound of Music?
Old 01-15-2016, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 435i M-Sport Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcar View Post
Interesting you should mention "The Great Escape." When I was at the gift shop on the grounds of the Hohenschwangau Castle there in Schwangau I came across a book describing the filming of that movie there in the shadows of Castle Neunschwanstien on the plains near Fussen with Steve McQueen and the other actors being housed and/or partying at hotels in the area including the Hotel Lisl in Fussen, Jagerhaus and Mueller in Schwangau, among others.

Regarding movie settings in conjunction with BMW European Delivery travel, I only recently realized by re watching for the first time since it came out the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang that the castle featured in the movie is Neuschwanstein. I guess the Bimmerfest tradition of taking a photo with one's car there with Neuschwanstein continues to mimic a precedent initially set by the flying car Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with Neuschwanstein as its backdrop.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 435i M-Sport Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcar View Post
As a follow up curious if any who have subsequently been to Salzburg on their European Delivery travels have encountered the anticipated special events related to this being the 50th Anniversary of the movie Sound of Music?

Anyone?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search