F10 GUIDE to Retrofitting S430A Auto Dimming Power Folding Mirrors - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: F10
F10 GUIDE to Retrofitting S430A Auto Dimming Power Folding Mirrors

Just done this retrofit and since there was no guide I have made a start at creating one.

Please PM with any feedback.

I could flesh the guide out with more details about how hard it is to swap the coloured covers or how to take the drivers door panel off, but all that info is easy to find from other sources, as is how to do the coding. The retrofit is plug and play with a simple mod to the drivers door switch.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...it%20Guide.zip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 04:12 AM

Mein Auto: M3
hi buddy do you know if the 5 pin mirrors can be power fold as been offered a set seller said they are 5pin and are power fold according to him

also do you know if the wiring mod is the same for facelift f10
Old 11-01-2016, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 535D
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_DR View Post
hi buddy do you know if the 5 pin mirrors can be power fold as been offered a set seller said they are 5pin and are power fold according to him

also do you know if the wiring mod is the same for facelift f10
Did you find out if the lci 5 pin are power folding? thinking to do the retro on an LCI too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2016, 06:26 PM

I think LCI folding might be 5 pin - 2 extra wires for the indicator IIRC. Better check though.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:16 AM

Mein Auto: 535D
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow216 View Post
I think LCI folding might be 5 pin - 2 extra wires for the indicator IIRC. Better check though.
Hi Pow216
I've seen the pic of the pins now pre vs lci and I think you may be right, as some ebay dealers are telling me they have 7 pin mirrors (guessing the old 5 pin low variant)...

Now have to find a right hand drive o/s mirror that's not got a weird part number with 5 pins or a seller that actually can confirm the mirror folds rather then guess

the hunt continues...
Old 11-04-2016, 05:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Could someone update the link?
Old 01-28-2017, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 520d
Quote:
Just done this retrofit and since there was no guide I have made a start at creating one.

I could flesh the guide out with more details about how hard it is to swap the coloured covers or how to take the drivers door panel off, but all that info is easy to find from other sources, as is how to do the coding. The retrofit is plug and play with a simple mod to the drivers door switch.

Hi

I have purchased a BMW 520d 2010 model. Sadly, it doesn't have the power folding side mirrors. It doesn't even have the power fold button on the driver side door console.

Can you please advise me on the following:

1. I think I'll just need to purchase power folding mirrors and just replace old ones. Is there anything else that I will need?

2. Will the the parts numbers list you mentioned in your guide also work for me? Do I need different parts.

3. Can I get the auto folding mirrors to work just by programming the keyfob without installing new drive side console with dedicated power fold button?

Thanks

Last edited by t4ure4n; 01-28-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 525d F10
power mirrors

I think the mirrors you already have on your car have the motor folding function?

Rewiring and a switch required?

Can any one confirm this.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4ure4n View Post
Hi

I have purchased a BMW 520d 2010 model. Sadly, it doesn't have the power folding side mirrors. It doesn't even have the power fold button on the driver side door console.

Can you please advise me on the following:

1. I think I'll just need to purchase power folding mirrors and just replace old ones. Is there anything else that I will need?

2. Will the the parts numbers list you mentioned in your guide also work for me? Do I need different parts.

3. Can I get the auto folding mirrors to work just by programming the keyfob without installing new drive side console with dedicated power fold button?

Thanks
1. No you will need the switch too - it's important to understand that the folding mirrors are intelligent and driven by the LIN bus - the standard ones are just motors with no electronics. The switch is really easy to change, if the soldering puts you off PM me and I'll do it for no charge!

2. Probably but use the last 7 digits of your chassis no. in RealOEM to double check, e.g. for the colour coded internal trim piece.

3. You could probably splice (hack) the wiring to make this work but I really wouldn't. Spend the 60 and have the wiring remain perfect !
Old 01-30-2017, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 520d
Quote:
1. No you will need the switch too - it's important to understand that the folding mirrors are intelligent and driven by the LIN bus - the standard ones are just motors with no electronics. The switch is really easy to change, if the soldering puts you off PM me and I'll do it for no charge!

2. Probably but use the last 7 digits of your chassis no. in RealOEM to double check, e.g. for the colour coded internal trim piece.

3. You could probably splice (hack) the wiring to make this work but I really wouldn't. Spend the 60 and have the wiring remain perfect !
Thank you so much for your clarification. I just have a couple more questions.
  • On RealOEM website, the mirrors are listed twice first as F10 520d Outside mirror and second as F10 520d Exterior mirror (S760A). Honestly, I can't tell the difference between the two.
  • Can I use the glass from my old mirrors? Is it necessary to change them for auto dip/power fold function?
Old 09-11-2017, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: bmw f10
Hi, sorry to bother but the link to Dropbox doesn't work.. can you please share it directly to my email?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2017, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcharria View Post
Hi, sorry to bother but the link to Dropbox doesn't work.. can you please share it directly to my email?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
You might want to shoot the OP an email. He hasn't been active here in almost a month...

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 03-22-2018, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 520d F10
Renewed link

Just refreshing the link if anyone is still looking for it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wMF...ew?usp=sharing
Old 09-29-2018, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto:
Hi guys,

I am thinking about changing side mirrors on my F10 2012. I have found a scraped car with S430A option and can get the sidemirrors cheaply. The question I have is if it is a must to change the driver side trim and add the mirror open/close button or can I just install the mirrors and code the car to open/close them with key on lock/unlock?

The mirrors I have found are from the same model(pre LCI) without turn lights. Does that mean that I dont need to do any extra cable work or soldering? Plug and Play?
Old 09-30-2018, 01:48 AM

Hi there!
Unfortunately you do need to change the trim and replace the window/mirror switch. The reason for this is that the base mirrors are dumb - that is they are controlled by applying voltages directly to the motors from the joypad. The folding mirrors are controlled by LIN bus and extra commands such as electro-chromatic dimming are sent over this bus.
I did figure out how to install the mirrors without modifying the cars wiring in any way - so it can be a plug and play upgrade. You do however need to modify the new window/mirror switch. Have you got a copy of my guide? If you PM me with your email address I'll send it to you. If you're not handy with a soldering iron I have offered to mod the switches for people (no charge!).
Old 09-30-2018, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for your reply.

I have got your guide through the link above.

As I have understood this:

- Just change out the previous mirrors with new. Plug the new ones just as the old are connected?

- Change out the mirror control section on driver side with one having the mirror button. Must do the soldering as you have showed in the guide.

Thats it?

What do you mean by low and high mirror/car?

The mirror part numbers are not matching your guide, but can you help me check if they will work?

Driver side part nr: FO153401U6680

Passenger side part nr: f0153402u6680
Old 10-05-2018, 12:25 AM

Mein Auto:
Waiting for any help here, please.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto:
Is this seller telling the truth or not?

Hi guys,

I intend to retrofit power folding mirrors to my 2012 BMW F10 520D. So I'm looking all over eBay to find a good pair at a good price. I found a good one and when I asked for the pin arrangement the seller sent me this.

As per the research I have done 5 pins are non power folding correct?

@ThuzithaNB '03 525i Manual Sedan, '06 523i Auto Sedan, '12 520d Auto Sedan
Old 03-24-2019, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: F10 520d
Quote:

Thank you for the excellent guide. I have just completed the retrofit

A quick not for everyone. Like mentioned in the guide. there are several part numbers for the window switch the one I got was 61319241955. when I opened the switch up I realised there are not legs for pins 7, 8, 9. the pictures in the guide showed the pins (legs) were already there.

so when you source the switch, either find the one with the exact number in the guide or be prepared to source some legs (you can take them from any old pcb) and solder the legs on the board.

Retrofits:
2TB -> Complete with gear stick, paddles and DEC switch.
3AG -> Reverse Camera.
430 -> Power Mirrors.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto:
Hello, I have a question: I want to retrofit a folding mirrors to my f10. I want to buy a used ones but the seller doesn't know if they are foldable. So my question is: these mirrors are with auto dimming function, is this mean that they are also foldable?

Last edited by Interplay; 07-03-2019 at 01:50 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
s430a 430 power folding mirror

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search