Help find oil leak - split turbo intake hose? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 E70 3.0d
Help find oil leak - split turbo intake hose?

Car: 2007 X5 3.0d

At my last service (about a month ago) the BMW indy mechanic (first time he was servicing it) told me the turbo air intake hose was dislodged. He said he reconnected it but was concerned that there was excessive oil in the pipe. It had made 'a lot of mess' by spraying oil around. He said he'd reinspect it at the next service but he feared if the seals are gone in the turbo I should be prepared for the cost of a new turbo.

Prior to that service, and since then, I've noticed a few drops of black oil on the driveway, but not always. Just occasional. The engine oil level is not changing - it's filled correctly and not dropping. As is the power steering fluid. And there are no error codes showing up.

So tonight my curiosity got the better of me so I took off the belly pan to see if I could see where the oil was coming from.

Before I did that I must confess I did not know where the turbo charge/intake pipe was - but I'm pretty sure I found it... here's a pic

This is just behind the bottom corner of the radiator on the passenger side of the car (I'm in Australia - so its a right hand drive). Am I right in thinking thats the bottom of the turbo air intake hose? I guess this is where it connects to the intercooler. (looks like part #6 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_3986)

The other thing, that is not in the photo is that from the other side of this hose I could see what looked like small amounts of red oil - as opposed to the rest which was dark/black.

On the other side of the intercooler, the turbo hose that is red (turbo exhaust hose?) looked fine - no leaks... pic:

So questions I have:
  • Is my guess right that the split/dislodged hose is the turbo intake hose? Does it look split or just dislodged?
  • The indy mechanic made me think any oil in these hoses was a bad sign - but in reading other threads it doesn't sound like that is the case - and with the M57 engine is completely normal?
  • Can I access this hose to change it all from the top of the engine? I was only *just* able to squeeze under the car to get these pics. There's no room to work from down there on the ground & I don't have ramps etc. If I could do a DIY replacement from the top of the engine I might consider it...? On a scale of 1 to 10, how hard is this DIY? I've done the EGR thermostat myself and that was OK.
  • What is the thick black solid rod that can be seen in the bottom of both pics? as seen in the 1st pic it didnt look in fantastic condition where it met the... end?

Any help appreciated

Last edited by AU Pete; 09-03-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2016, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: X5
It looks dislodged (hopefully, as the hose is pricey); remove the fan assembly for better access , and I'd suggest new seal since it's cheap.

A bit of oil inside is fine. You can also remove and wash intercooler while at it, just for the peace of mind.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
It looks dislodged (hopefully, as the hose is pricey); remove the fan assembly for better access , and I'd suggest new seal since it's cheap.

A bit of oil inside is fine. You can also remove and wash intercooler while at it, just for the peace of mind.
Ok - thankyou. I think I am game to give it a go
Will pickup a new seal and investigate what is needed to remove the fan.

I have a few cans of engine degreaser. Is that fine to clean out the intercooler or would brake cleaner be better?

Do I need to disconnect the battery to do this, and if so should I expect to have to clear any ECU codes after the job is done? (I'm assuming the answer is no to both of those but just checking.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2016, 05:31 PM

No, you want to wash inside, so fill with acetone or diesel and let it sit for a whole, then empty and let it dry. No need to unplug the battery.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
No, you want to wash inside, so fill with acetone or diesel and let it sit for a whole, then empty and let it dry. No need to unplug the battery.
Ok - thanks again - I'm all prepped to remove the fan and intercooler, and clean the intercooler with diesel tomorrow.

I'm hoping that once all cleaned up, the hose connections will clamp much better on the intercooler (with new seals and anti seize lubricant) BUT I have read elsewhere some people have used a little hairspray (!) on the hose/pipe to help them stay in place. Good idea if it looks like they might slip again - or not?

Last edited by AU Pete; 05-26-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:58 PM

Dunno about hairspray, but new seal will actually make inserting hose a bit harder. Just make sure it's in all the way and is properly secured with the metal clip.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i
Hairspray is an old trick to help slip rubber on metal. We used to use it for grips on bicycles and motorcycles (before I had an air compressor).

It will not do much to help the hose in place; but, it may help if you have a bit of trouble getting it on.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian425 View Post
It will not do much to help the hose in place; but, it may help if you have a bit of trouble getting it on.
Ahhh ok - so the opposite of what I was thinking. good to know. Will report back on how it goes. thank you both.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:13 PM

Ok - first snag. I have taken the belly pan off, and I have a couple of hoses that run across underneath the length of the intercooler.
Based on the very brief online manual here: http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/x_se...ooler_(m57t2)/ I was not expecting to see anything running across underneath the intercooler.

Here's some photos below of what I can see - with the arrows pointing to the hose in question...

What hose is this? and what am I expecting to find inside it? (I might back out of this project if its coolant)

Last edited by AU Pete; 09-03-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:12 PM

So the job is done.

The pics in the previous message were indeed of coolant hoses as once the fan was out I could see where they led into the radiator. But I worked out that you're able to unclip/remove them and pull them out of the way of the intercooler cover without opening the hoses. So that's good to know - no need to drain the coolant.

When I removed the intercooler cover, I was surprised to find it was also holding up the intercooler - there were not any additional bolts holding the intercooler itself in - and I still had 1 air pipe connected to it. At that point in the exercise I had successfully removed the problematic air intake hose (more on that later) but I was having trouble removing the retaining clip from the other air hose (the one that has air flowing from the turbo TO the intercooler and is red). I just didn't have enough space to work it out, so I chickened out at that point. It wasn't leaking in the first place so I decided to just fix the air hose that had the problem, and leave the intercooler in place without removing & cleaning it.

When I removed the turbo intake hose from the intercooler, I noticed the retaining clip was not seated properly, and when I got it off and removed the hose, the spilt seal just fell out. So not sure what came first there to cause the problem - the seal breaking or the hose not being seated properly. But someone along the line did a half a$$ed job.

Here's the old seal that caused the leak...

The hose itself was pretty filthy ...

... so I cleaned that up and put a replacement seal on...

... then applied some anti seize lubricant to the seal and reconnected it, making sure it was fully inserted and the retaining clip was seated correctly. Here's a pic from underneath to make sure it was all still in place after I'd pushed hoses around when getting the fan back in...

Carefully reassembled everything, looked for leaks/problems, checked the fan was working, then put engine cover and belly pan back on and all road tested fine. Will leave it for a few days of use and see if any oil drips return. I reckon the intercooler must have a good lining of oil sitting at the bottom of it though, so I'll probably build up the courage to do that at a later date.

Last edited by AU Pete; 09-03-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:38 PM

Help find oil leak - split turbo intake hose?

Should also mention I'm working without ramps/stands - so working underneath is super tight. Makes it really difficult to work on the intercooler or anything underneath

Last edited by AU Pete; 05-27-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotsyDriver View Post
... but I was having trouble removing the retaining clip from the other air hose (the one that has air flowing from the turbo TO the intercooler and is red). I just didn't have enough space to work it out, so I chickened out at that point. It wasn't leaking in the first place so I decided to just fix the air hose that had the problem, and leave the intercooler in place without removing & cleaning it...
Given your work setup & struggles, it's a good call. Not only from "if not broken..." perspective, but also it's a real bitch to put the red hose back on the intercooler with a new seal.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search