BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2016 M3 ED Trip Report

12K views 97 replies 17 participants last post by  turpiwa 
#1 ·
Alright - so it hasn't really started yet but it is only 4 days away and I needed to get something going to fuel my anxiety :)
I'll use this thread to report as I can along the way.
Nearly all accommodation has been booked through AirBnB so will be interesting

So the Itinerary (attached is a map)
Sunday 12th - Cairo to MUC via FRA - 10 PM arrival.
Mon 13th - 9 AM abbreviated pickup (chuck me the keys - I've been reading the manual on the App for months) then race to Rostock for a 1700 ferry (in reality it might be the 1900 ferry :) and head to Copenhagen Hilton where my family will have arrived earlier that evening. This will be a long day - but I am going to love it. Just me and the car to get acquainted before the family arrive.

14th - head to Samso Island to spend the rest of the week with friends who are celebrating his 50th (they live in Adelaide Aust and he is from Samso)

18th - head back to Copenhagen for a couple of days,

19th - Head to Rostock to get a head start to the week (and avoid the Monday morning traffic)

Mon 20th - To Karlovy Vary in the Czech Rep for 2 nights. Get in some spas and 'check' out the local area - looks amazing.

22nd - head to Nuremberg fro 3 nights. WW2 history and a friend's family brewery a little north are on the agenda.

24th - Back to the Welt - car is booked In at a local dealer for the 1200 mile service. Factory tour and Museum and do the Welt tour with the family.
Stay with friends in Munich (actually Eresing) for the weekend.
Sunday 26th - Head to Innsbruck to get a head start on next day.

27th - Head to Chioggia (Venice area) for 3 nights.
While there my son and I will do a day trip to the Ferrari and Lamborghini Museum and a little time on the Ferrari track in the M3 while the wife has a spa day and heads over to Venice on the ferry

30th - Up the Grossglockner and stay at a little place near Zell am See (can't think of the name - will add later - for a night's stay,
1st July (Friday) - Head to Liezen, Austria which will be our home base for the next 3 days while we visit the F1 at the Red Bull Ring. Check in and zoom off for Practise.

3rd July - F1!

4th July - Head out early to Salzburg - this day will be played by ear. We have the drop off by 6:30 PM at MUC and I really want to try and get in the salt mines and maybe the eagle's nest but thinking it will be too much- any thoughts?
Drop off and MUC Hilton

5th July - MUC to IAH all together.

11th - head back to Egypt for another 28 days - the work will hopefully make the wait easier :) Map Atlas Line Ecoregion

See less See more
#2 ·
First post

I cant wait to see pics of your pickup.
Have a blast

#5 ·
About 6.5 hours. I'm hoping for some nice runs on the autobahn to cover some ground

#8 · (Edited)
Well here I am at the welt. Door isn't open yet. Opens in 4 minutes (7:30 am). Knock knock :)

#10 · (Edited)
Well here's a couple of trip photos while I wait.
Left The Western Desert at 10:15 Am Sunday to Cairo then onto Frankfurt and a quick change to Munich then picked up by Sixt - unfortunately wasn't a 7 as promised - a X5. No problem. Hotel Sheraton 4 Points at by 11:15 and asleep by midnight. Crap nights sleep. Up at 6 ready and out the door to one of the pastry shops downstairs and a cappuccino and a pastry and the 5 minute walk to The Welt.
I forgot how this place blows me away. Has been 7 years since been here. Exterior is looking like it needs a bit of a clean and some maintenance through.
Anyway - premium lounge opens at 8 so having a tasse caffe latte and off for a look around :)
For your info. Weather is warm - temp is deceiving at 57 but very high humidity.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto show Personal luxury car
y Town Sky Public space Pedestrian Architecture
Architecture Vehicle Bicycle Cycling Building

#11 ·
Ok. And there it is ready to go from the gallery Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Personal luxury car

#13 · (Edited)
Well not too much in terms of scenery photos today but 1st impressions are good. :)
The torque is ridiculous. Pulls like a train. When you think you need to change down forget it - just put in the boot and away it goes.
Made it to Rostock with plenty of time to spare only to make a rookie mistake. Decided to get the car washed just 2 minutes away from what the nav thought was the ferry terminal. Suffice to say heads the terminal only to find it was 11 k in the other direction. Got there just after the ferry sailed so a 2 hour wait.
Many many open sections on this autobahn towards and particularly after Berlin. 4,500 is about 125 in 6th gear. Very comfortable at that speed for some good runs.
Watch out for the old ladies. They are the worst at pulling out to pass at 60 or 70 miles per hour in front of a car doing 125. I can vouch for the standard brakes on the M3!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Bmw
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Personal luxury car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Personal luxury car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Sports car

#32 ·
#15 · (Edited)
Yes. I love them.

I did 630 miles yesterday. I had many opportunities to run it to max speed and just did one max run toward the top end of Germany and it ran to 165 indicated. The car felt great.

#17 · (Edited)
:hi: pal

Congrats ! How do you like ZCP's front seat ?
Nice. It is difficult to give an opinion on any seat when you have just sat in it for 9 hours - any seat leaves you a little stiff then :)
The only thing I don't like about them is I feel that the bolsters at front of the seat could be a little wider. Don't miss the lumbar at all. Also I wonder if the side bolsters could be wider. I have the side bolsters set out as far as possible and it is fine for me but not sure how a really big guy would go.
When I jump back in after a beak my immediate reaction is - wow these seats feel great.
My wife and son love the 'tickle holes' :)

An additional non-related comment. I absolutely love the heads up display. It is a game changer if you haven't had one before. I hardly look at the instrument cluster in highway driving. An additional bonus is the display of tracks on your music when you hit the right scroll. Like that feature.

I gotta tell you as well I love the bark of the exhaust and then when you drop her in cruise control and put it in efficient mode it takes away the drone on the highway.

And the wheels look absolutely amazing. :)

#18 · (Edited)
So yesterday we left Copenhagen and took a little ride to Roskilde. Lots of Danish Viking history and an amazing cathedral.
We then went to Kalundborg to get the ferry across to Samso where we are meeting some friends who are here from Australia (he grew up here)
Amazing out here on the island - just picturesque, quiet (until the M3 arrived) - they don't get many of these out here!
Had a little chance to give it a squirt in sport plus everything on some quiet twisties out here when I took my mate out for a spin. Very nice - may have clipped 6k for a second or 2 - well we are at 700 miles. Need more!
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Mid-size car Bmw
Property House Home Cottage Roof
Pasture Grassland Farm Natural environment Meadow

#19 · (Edited)
Great little island at Samso - very picturesque and serene. Nice food and great place for walks and relaxing.
I did manage to get a short video taking off with some exhaust note as well.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Rim

Can't figure out how to add a video on me mobile app. Will have to upload that one later. Anyone have any idea?
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Motor vehicle

#20 · (Edited)
A couple of days on Samso island Denmark is coming to an end. It had been very relaxing but also the long days meaning late nights. Here's a coupe of photos of some scenery and some 'you don't get much more local than this ' entertainment :)
Off to Copenhagen for a couple of days tomorrow then the trip down through Germany starts.
Sky Natural landscape Property Land lot Sea
Road Residential area Windshield Windscreen wiper Mode of transport
Property Home House Building Real estate
Community Sky Team Tourism Event

#21 · (Edited)
Duplicate!

#70 ·
Sorry Sean. Missed this. It was about 1 hour.

#23 · (Edited)
#24 ·
Pretty decent size. It carries semi trailers and buses as well as many cars. The one from Rostock to Gedser is at least twice as big though.

#26 · (Edited)
We left Samso Island yesterday and headed to Copenhagen. Took a canal tour and went to the Tivoli for the night. Another late night with it not getting dark until after 11PM.
We left Denmark and took the ferry across to Rostock which was planned to give us a head start to tomorrow's run down to the Czech Republic and Karlovy Vary for a couple of days.
Looks like I may have delayed my re-delivery with a minor scrape to the lower bumper on a sneaky Kerb today - so annoyed!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Motor vehicle
Town People City Human settlement Public space
Waterway Canal Sky Water Town
People Pedestrian Town Public space Crowd
Roof Building Architecture Landmark Property
Building Palace Landmark Reflecting pool Architecture

#27 · (Edited)
Today was a long run from Rostock to Karlovy Vary in the Czech Republic with some very nice autobahn sections.
We slipped past the 1200 miles today so looking forward to stretching its legs a little.
Karlovy Vary is a beautiful town. We were very impressed and our 1st Airbnb is excellent. Great location and very nice host. It is a 1 bedroom with a kitchen and bathroom. There were a few stairs to drag our bags up but we were expecting g that. It is a great old building and we were welcomed with cold beers and fresh bread and cheese with some salami. Very nice. Some pictures attached. Tomorrow we will get in some hiking and some thermal spa treatment.
Town Neighbourhood Human settlement Mode of transport Road

can see the car parked at the end of the street from our window
Alley Cobblestone Street Road Town

the street we had to negotiate to drop off the luggage :)
Tile Grass Floor Cobblestone Flooring

the scratch :(
Landmark Building Architecture Place of worship Property
Town Roof Neighbourhood Residential area Human settlement
Sky Landmark Cloud Architecture Building
Sky Town Metropolitan area Cloud Human settlement

#28 ·
Doh on the scratch! Do they automatically repair that kind of stuff for you on re delivery or do you have to pay for it?

#34 ·
Sorry to see the scratch. My local dealer scratched mine, but they willfix it this weekend:)

#36 · (Edited)
Thought I would put up some photos of the day at Karlovy Vary as I hand at the Castle Spa waiting for a massage. So far haven't been all that impressed with castle spa - will see how the massage is.
Today we got up and took off on the cable car up to the top of the hill for the lookout. Had a walk around and some lunch and then a big hike back down. Very nice. Karlovy Vary is a nice town for walking around in and we have been lucky with the weather edit the whole trip. Tomorrow it is off to Nuremberg where we will hang for 3 nights before making our way back to Munich, the 1200 mile service and the factory tour.
Sky Night Town Lighting Evening
Peafowl Bird Feather Galliformes Plant
Sky Urban area Town Human settlement Hill station
Building Architecture Chapel Place of worship Church
Meal Brunch Breakfast Drink Food

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.