The cost of no spare tire! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 06-13-2016, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: X3
The cost of no spare tire!

Warning I'm about to rant!!!
My wife's bmw x3, we leave for the weekend on a roughly 300 mile trip.
Sunday rolls around and we pack up and leave for home, 5 miles down the road and we get a flat. She pulls over and I go to change her tire and notice no spare or Jack equipment. Call roadside assistance they offer to tow me to a dealership so it can be fixed tomorrow. Problem is both me and the wife have to work tomorrow 300 miles away. I use the run flats go back to the hotel and book another night.. First tire shop opens at 7am, can't wait for bmw service to open at 9.
So total cost for me because of no spare tire rather than 5 minutes to put on a spare.
320 dollars for a pirelli non run flat tire which will have to be changed out for a run flat when I get back to town.
(only tire the right size they had). Went to 3 tire shops.
180 dollars extra night in hotel room.
120 dollars 2 meals ordered in for 4 people.
400 dollars wife's cancelled clients today.
400 dollars my average 1/2 daily salary I do still have to work today!

320 tire
300 hotel and meals
800 lost wages for myself and wife.

1420 dollars for a GD flat tire that I should have been able to change and carry on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2016, 06:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Let me first say sorry to hear about the flat. When I first got my NEW car 6months into ownership. About to have a 1200mile road trip and complete transmission failure! Talk about disaster which I rather not go into detail. So I can totally relate.

But in your case was there a nail in the tire? Where was the nail? In the center of the tire? If so you could have easily bought a repair kit and an air pump and been on your way in less then 15mins. I always carry one in the car. Never had to use it.

Most cars today only come with a DONUT and do not come with a full size spare rim/tire. So even if our cars did have a donut it wouldn't have been able to complete the 300mile trip.

Other bad news.....How many miles on the other three tires?? If the tread depth is more then 2/32 new tire you should change out the other tire on the same axel so it doesn't mess with the xdrive system. Or shave down the new tire to match the other three tires. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW X3 35i
I appreciate your legitimate frustration and the need to vent. I also recognize you may not be seeking alternative solutions, but will offer a couple FWIW.

There are few modern vehicles the size of the X3 that have full size spare tires. The last car I owned with a full size spare tire was a 2003 530i. A space saver spare tire and jack would be useful, but presents its own set of challenges, including recommended speeds of 50 mph or less, limited distance capability and different traction than the other tires.

I often take 600+ miles in my BMW. My emergency plan in case of a breakdown enroute is to leave the car at the closest BMW dealer and rent a car to continue the trip. It is far from ideal, but may be a better alternative than stopping and waiting for a repair and missing other commitments.

For future reference, another possibility would have been to purchase a tire inflator with tire sealant. In many locations, there are stores open on Sunday that carry such tire repair kits. This might have allowed you to nurse the X3 home on Sunday on the damaged tire albeit at a reduced speed, provided you did not drive on the flat very far before restoring pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2016, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 xDrive 35i Premium
I agree with the others, it sucks to have your plans sidetracked by a flat tire. I also agree thought that you opted for the expensive route as a tire plug and small compressor or rental car could have saved the day. You didn't say how the tire got flat but most run flats can be patched just like a non-run flat and if it couldn't be patched then a non-run flat most likely couldn't have been patched either with the same damage.

Tire Rack shows 45 different tires for your X3 with prices ranging from Less than $150 to over $300 and 3 local tire shops only had a $320 tire in your size??? I find that odd to say the least... Often tire shops use the excuse that they don't patch run flats because they don't want to be held responsible if something happens once you leave their shop. Reality is it gives them the opportunity to sell more tires. It also seems odd that the tire shops would let you drive off with 1 non-run flat because the 2 types of tires handling characteristics are really different and could be dangerous when mixed.

Sometimes lessons are expensive but if you learn from them they can payoff big time down the road... All the suggestions made are in hind sight and any one of us might have done exactly as you did if not exposed to others thoughts and ideas and in open forum the cost of your experience could end up saving many others when presented with a similar challenge!

Old 06-13-2016, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
You have every reason to rant. I feel your pain!!

You have run into the number one issue that makes run-flats totally impractical for me. In the event of a flat tire, the ONLY advantage of RFTs is that you can "limp" somewhere that's a few miles away. Let me emphasize this... it is the ONLY advantage! All other scenarios play out just the same for a non-RFT without a spare. So the only time RFT comes into play is when you can't get (free) roadside assistance AND the tire can't be repaired on the side of the road.

So let's play out the RFT scenario (which you had the misfortune to live through) once this bit of magic technology has allowed you to get somewhere. Well my friend, if you weren't able to get roadside assistance, you're probably in the middle of nowhere. So once you limp to wherever "there" is, the chances of finding a replacement for your very rare RFT tire is pretty much zero. Which either leaves you stranded until a tire gets shipped to you, or you buy a throwaway tire in the same size. And if by some miracle you get somewhere that has your tire in stock, you're going to pay $400 to $500 (installed) for privilege of replacing that RFT instead of $200. Oh joy.

If, on the other hand, you have a space saver spare and non-RFTs, then you can almost always drive along your current route to a city that has a shop that has the much-more-common non-RFT that you're using. You pay your $200, you are on your way, and you stash that spare back in the car.

So I just shake my head in disgust when I hear the &[email protected]#@ that RFTs are "replacements" for a spare tire, or when someone says they need the (bogus) peace of mind.

Your saga would make a very good "cut-and-paste" for any thread where someone asks about switching to RFTs.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD-X5 View Post
I agree with the others, it sucks to have your plans sidetracked by a flat tire. I also agree thought that you opted for the expensive route as a tire plug and small compressor or rental car could have saved the day. You didn't say how the tire got flat but most run flats can be patched just like a non-run flat and if it couldn't be patched then a non-run flat most likely couldn't have been patched either with the same damage.

Tire Rack shows 45 different tires for your X3 with prices ranging from Less than $150 to over $300 and 3 local tire shops only had a $320 tire in your size??? I find that odd to say the least... Often tire shops use the excuse that they don't patch run flats because they don't want to be held responsible if something happens once you leave their shop. Reality is it gives them the opportunity to sell more tires. It also seems odd that the tire shops would let you drive off with 1 non-run flat because the 2 types of tires handling characteristics are really different and could be dangerous when mixed.

Sometimes lessons are expensive but if you learn from them they can payoff big time down the road... All the suggestions made are in hind sight and any one of us might have done exactly as you did if not exposed to others thoughts and ideas and in open forum the cost of your experience could end up saving many others when presented with a similar challenge!
I wasn't in Cincinnati, I was 20 miles outside in Erlanger Ky. And yes 3 shops 1 tire. And the first shop checked, the nail caused a tear that extended to the side walk and was not repairable. Regardless, it doesn't matter, the simple fact is, on a Sunday with no tire shops or BMW dealers open and more then 50 miles from home you are kind of screwed pardon my French! As I said wife's vehicle and I had no idea there was no spare until it was too late.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 xDrive 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strutz View Post
I wasn't in Cincinnati, I was 20 miles outside in Erlanger Ky. And yes 3 shops 1 tire. And the first shop checked, the nail caused a tear that extended to the side walk and was not repairable. Regardless, it doesn't matter, the simple fact is, on a Sunday with no tire shops or BMW dealers open and more then 50 miles from home you are kind of screwed pardon my French! As I said wife's vehicle and I had no idea there was no spare until it was too late.
No different than if it had been a regular tire in the same size and you had a space saver spare. Space savers are limited to speed (50mph) and distance and designed to get you to a repair shop. The days of full size spares capable of long distances are all but gone so you would have gone through the same exact experience if you didn't have run flat tires, except you would have had to change a tire to get to the nearest repair facility or dealership instead of just driving there on the run flat.

How often are you with your wife in her car? Do you really want her on the side of the road changing a tire? The run flats make it possible (unless a blowout) to get to a safe place off the hwy. My wife and daughter (even with spare tires in their cars) have been told to use auto club and let someone else change the tire for them or tow their car if necessary just to avoid the dangers on the side of the road. Yes both do know how to change a tire but only as a last resort...

Old 06-14-2016, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD-X5 View Post
No different than if it had been a regular tire in the same size and you had a space saver spare. Space savers are limited to speed (50mph) and distance and designed to get you to a repair shop. .
True, the goal is to get to a repair shop. But the space saver spares give you a greater range. The manufacturers list a limit due to the limited tread depth, the greater risk of damage, and the limited cornering speeds. I know more than a few folks that have gone 100 to 250 miles on space savers in West Texas; which is the type of "middle of nowhere" I was referring to in my other post.

That's a good point about the RFTs allowing someone to get to a safe place. There are times that would save you the cost of a damaged wheel.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Warning I'm about to rant!!! ...
Nothing you said is surprising, which means you should have seen it coming. Life's big **** ups start out as life's little **** ups that were not addressed. You should have looked under the cargo floor in the showroom, and said "Fornication upon you!" to the BMW salesman, and walked out.

This is exactly why we did not buy an X3 this year. It's also why we never bothered even looking at the previous X1. We did look at the current X1, but Frau Putzer didn't like it.

We're waiting for the G01. The new X1 has an optional spare. The X5 has always had a spare. The new 7 Series has an optional spare.

Oh, did I mention that Goodyear LS-2 run-flats are the worst tires I've ever owned (since they started putting radials on cars, anyway).

If the G01 X3 doesn't have an optional spare tire and optional non-run-flats (like the current X1 does), we're buying a Hyundai and sending BMW NA a picture of it and a picture of the spare.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
One would think they should know if his or her car have runflats or not, or at least pay attention to the salesman during the delivery process. The OP's sound ill informed, therefore ill prepare for any type of automotive emergency or long trips. Sometime we live our lives in the fast lane and safety and preparation becomes second priority. It certainly is easy to try to place the blame on BMW, but that is so typical of today's mentality, pass the blame on to someone else.

Last edited by The X Men; 06-15-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Warning I'm about to rant!!!
My wife's bmw x3, we leave for the weekend on a roughly 300 mile trip.
Sunday rolls around and we pack up and leave for home, 5 miles down the road and we get a flat. She pulls over and I go to change her tire and notice no spare or Jack equipment. Call roadside assistance they offer to tow me to a dealership so it can be fixed tomorrow. Problem is both me and the wife have to work tomorrow 300 miles away. I use the run flats go back to the hotel and book another night.. First tire shop opens at 7am, can't wait for bmw service to open at 9.
So total cost for me because of no spare tire rather than 5 minutes to put on a spare.
320 dollars for a pirelli non run flat tire which will have to be changed out for a run flat when I get back to town.
(only tire the right size they had). Went to 3 tire shops.
180 dollars extra night in hotel room.
120 dollars 2 meals ordered in for 4 people.
400 dollars wife's cancelled clients today.
400 dollars my average 1/2 daily salary I do still have to work today!

320 tire
300 hotel and meals
800 lost wages for myself and wife.

1420 dollars for a GD flat tire that I should have been able to change and carry on.
"They" might not be done with you. There's still the opportunity for a tire ape to damage the rim, tire, or vehicle. The only places I trust to touch my tires and rims are the BMW dealership 90 miles away and the Porsche dealership 40 miles away. Locally, nobody. Stupid is a religion where I live. "I know how to do my job" usually means they don't... know how to do their job, and I hear that a lot around here.

Google "leverless tire machine." If your tire shop doesn't have one, they're likely going to scratch up the rim, and then blame you, right after they say "Shazam!"

Last edited by Autoputzer; 06-14-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
A portable 12 volt compressor will solve probably 90% of tire problems, at least temporarily. I keep one in my vehicle, under the trunk floor. Tires have improved greatly. Most flat tires are the slow-leak variety, and can be re-inflated long enough to get to a tire store. If your tire completely disintegrates, well, it is time for road service.

BMW CCA member

Last edited by alpinweiss; 06-14-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: X3, X1
I keep a can of Fix-A-Flat and cigarette-lighter-powered pump in the back under the compartment lid. It should handle all but the worst cases. Another alternative is a BMW X1 with a compact spare. Or for longer road trips, buy a cheap rim and put a spare tire on it to haul with you around along with a jack and a lug wrench.

Current:
2014 X3 and X1 xDrive 28i
Previous:
2013 X3 xDrive 28i
Subaru Outback sport, Saab 99 and 99 Turbo, Volvo 264, Honda CRX, Jaguar E-Type drophead coupe and Mk II sedan
Old 06-16-2016, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3
Fortunately (knock on wood) I have not had to change a roadside flat in 30 years. Tire technology is much better than it was a few years ago.

If you have ever seen those YouTube videos of cars crashing into vehicles on the shoulder including police cars, you would never even think about changing a tire on the side of the road.

2011 BMW X3 i35 (current)
2003 Acura CL (current--son drives)
2012 Itasca Navion IQ with Mercedes engine (current)
2012 Subaru WRX Premium (retired)
2004 BMW Z4 3.0 (retired)
2005 Honda CR-V (retired)
2003 Honda Accord Coupe (retired)
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5 (retired-)
1986 Saab 900 (retired)
1985 Audi 80 (retired)
1977 Toyota Celica GT Hatchback (retired)
Old 06-16-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
Fortunately (knock on wood) I have not had to change a roadside flat in 30 years. Tire technology is much better than it was a few years ago.

If you have ever seen those YouTube videos of cars crashing into vehicles on the shoulder including police cars, you would never even think about changing a tire on the side of the road.
I've driven about 800k miles in my life with only one rapid deflation, and that was caused by a valve stem failure. There was a bunch of bad ones from China on the market back in 2010. The SUV driving mommy next door had two fail. The scummy tire store told her it wasn't their fault, it was caused by excessive heat, and the excessive heat was caused by... global warming. Cars with electronic TPMS now have rigid metal valve stems.

I've had a lot of slow leaks, but with time to usually limp home or get to a safe place to change it. TPMS makes the chances of discovering a leak in time better. I always carry an air pump on road trips.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 50i
Since I have a set of snow tires on rims, I carry one of the tires ( and jack / tire iron) in the back. The plus is I can get rid of the run flats (less harsh of a ride) and not be at the mercy of a dealer on a weekend, but the negatives are it takes up space and add weight.

Hopefully the G01 has a spare option like the X1 and X5.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 x3 M-sport 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
I keep a can of Fix-A-Flat and cigarette-lighter-powered pump in the back under the compartment lid. It should handle all but the worst cases. Another alternative is a BMW X1 with a compact spare. Or for longer road trips, buy a cheap rim and put a spare tire on it to haul with you around along with a jack and a lug wrench.
Agree, except that using Fix-a-Flat or similar product can ruin the TPMS in that wheel, which will run >$75 to replace. I still like RFTs for peace of mind, although I may be deceiving myself.

Phil G.

2016 BMW 340i M-Sport xDrive Mineral Grey/Oyster
2016 Porsche Boxster S (6MT) GT Silver/Black (SOLD 8/25/18)
2013 BMW x3 M-sport 3.5i x-drive Space Grey/Black
2009 BMW 328i xDrive Space Grey/Oyster (TRADED)
Old 06-17-2016, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgold1230 View Post
Agree, except that using Fix-a-Flat or similar product can ruin the TPMS in that wheel, which will run >$75 to replace. I still like RFTs for peace of mind, although I may be deceiving myself.
Consumer Reports Magazine tested several tire sealant and inflater products and reported that use of these did not interfere with the operation of TPMS.

Slime tire sealants states its products are TPMS safe.

http://www.slime.com/us/products/aut...ensor-safe.php

Fix-a-Flat states in its Q&A:
"Will Fix-A-Flat« damage my tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)?

As stated on the can, it is important to have your tire inspected and repaired as soon as possible and notify the tire care professional that Fix-A-Flat« has been installed. At the time the affected tire is inspected by a tire care professional, they should clean the sealant from the tire, prepare the area and repair with a Rubber Manufacturer's Association (RMA) approved patch/plug. The TPMS device should also be cleaned off with water to remove any sealant which may have come into contact with the device. After the repaired tire is replaced and inflated the TPMS system will resume operating as normal."

http://www.fixaflat.com/us/faq.php#10

Last edited by mikeglenn; 06-17-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry for the problems.

It would not occur to me that there are owners who don't know there is no spare tire until after the vehicle toggles to a no-go (Pakled) condition.

When I purchased my X3 I also purchased a tire warranty.

When the wife impaled a bolt the dealership swapped it for an identical tire.

If this was the only available vehicle, then the less expensive option would be to have rented a car for the trip.

Last edited by wingless; 08-08-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 x3 M-sport 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeglenn View Post
Consumer Reports Magazine tested several tire sealant and inflater products and reported that use of these did not interfere with the operation of TPMS.

Slime tire sealants states its products are TPMS safe.

http://www.slime.com/us/products/aut...ensor-safe.php

Fix-a-Flat states in its Q&A:
"Will Fix-A-Flat« damage my tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)?

As stated on the can, it is important to have your tire inspected and repaired as soon as possible and notify the tire care professional that Fix-A-Flat« has been installed. At the time the affected tire is inspected by a tire care professional, they should clean the sealant from the tire, prepare the area and repair with a Rubber Manufacturer's Association (RMA) approved patch/plug. The TPMS device should also be cleaned off with water to remove any sealant which may have come into contact with the device. After the repaired tire is replaced and inflated the TPMS system will resume operating as normal."

http://www.fixaflat.com/us/faq.php#10
Very useful info and reassuring. Thanks.

Phil G.

2016 BMW 340i M-Sport xDrive Mineral Grey/Oyster
2016 Porsche Boxster S (6MT) GT Silver/Black (SOLD 8/25/18)
2013 BMW x3 M-sport 3.5i x-drive Space Grey/Black
2009 BMW 328i xDrive Space Grey/Oyster (TRADED)
Old 06-17-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoworld View Post
Since I have a set of snow tires on rims, I carry one of the tires ( and jack / tire iron) in the back. The plus is I can get rid of the run flats (less harsh of a ride) and not be at the mercy of a dealer on a weekend, but the negatives are it takes up space and add weight.

The takes-up-space issue is a big deal for any of our cars that are road trip cars. My F10's truck is so high that a large Samsonite suitcase fits on top of the spare, but just barely.

I sent a letter to BMW NA about the spare tire issue, specifically saying that if the G01 doesn't offer a spare and non-RFT's I will not be buying one. They actually called me and thanked me for my input. We'll see.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: chevy/ford/VW bug
Would the x drive system be potentially
damaged by using a 'donut' spare?
Old 06-18-2016, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
The econo lodge in Erlanger, Ky is 59 dollars a night. The fact that you (or you claimed to pay as almost hotels in that town are under 100 dollars night) payed 300 dollars for hotel and food has nothing to do with you having a run-flat. If money was your concern stay at almost any of the hotels in Erlanger and pick up some food from the 7-11. A yogurt and banana makes a good meal for less than 2 dollars.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoworld View Post

You could always put it on the roof and make it look like you go off road.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingx3 View Post
You have every reason to rant. I feel your pain!!

You have run into the number one issue that makes run-flats totally impractical for me. In the event of a flat tire, the ONLY advantage of RFTs is that you can "limp" somewhere that's a few miles away. Let me emphasize this... it is the ONLY advantage! All other scenarios play out just the same for a non-RFT without a spare. So the only time RFT comes into play is when you can't get (free) roadside assistance AND the tire can't be repaired on the side of the road.

So let's play out the RFT scenario (which you had the misfortune to live through) once this bit of magic technology has allowed you to get somewhere. Well my friend, if you weren't able to get roadside assistance, you're probably in the middle of nowhere. So once you limp to wherever "there" is, the chances of finding a replacement for your very rare RFT tire is pretty much zero. Which either leaves you stranded until a tire gets shipped to you, or you buy a throwaway tire in the same size. And if by some miracle you get somewhere that has your tire in stock, you're going to pay $400 to $500 (installed) for privilege of replacing that RFT instead of $200. Oh joy.

If, on the other hand, you have a space saver spare and non-RFTs, then you can almost always drive along your current route to a city that has a shop that has the much-more-common non-RFT that you're using. You pay your $200, you are on your way, and you stash that spare back in the car.

So I just shake my head in disgust when I hear the &[email protected]#@ that RFTs are "replacements" for a spare tire, or when someone says they need the (bogus) peace of mind.

Your saga would make a very good "cut-and-paste" for any thread where someone asks about switching to RFTs.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
What if you are on an interstate highway with no shoulder? I bet you would say RFT is beneficial at that point. Or you have a baby in the back and you don't want to wait an hour for the tow truck to come then figure out how to get your baby home. Or you are in a bad neighborhood where they would love to car-jack a BMW. Tons of reasons run flats are better than conventional tires. Most of my driving is within 50 miles of my house and there is a BMW dealer 2 miles from my house and another one 4 miles from my job. Most likely if I got a flat I could drive home and then stop at the Dealership the next morning.

If you need a full time spare buy one and put it in the trunk or on the roof or buy another car. I mean it isn't a mystery that these cars come with run-flats.

Also the OP could have bought a donut tire from tire store he went to. As that is what most cars that don't have run flats have. I am sure that would be cheaper than the 300+ dollars he said he spent on the tire he is not going to have change as soon as he got home.

Last edited by atomicfront; 06-18-2016 at 06:48 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search