BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about 0 to 60 for 540's I have timed my 2003 msport auto with 76k mi and stopwatch at 5.6 sec. Note: the launch was never perfect because with traction control turned off it will light up my new michelin pilot sport ss tires. I have to start out gently and nail it. I leave it in drive. Great and Fun car to own. I have had seven bmws including a euro 635 csi, m roadtster, and 530i e 39 and this one is the best!

·
Registered
197 Posts
best ive got is def around 5.6 as well, 6 is usually what i get around but 5.6 is perfect condition day. the 540 is so quick i love it, alot of people underestimate the power but when im pulled up next to someone on a red light... its over

·
Registered
762 Posts
Anybody know what the app is for your iPhone that measures your 0-60? I'm eager to find out what my car can do.

·
Slip slidin around town
1,359 Posts
I am curious to know how well that app works. If its even reasonably accurate I will give it a whirl. But at 12.99, I dont want to throw away money on a gag app. Anyone have experience with that app on the iphone?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Best published time I have seen is 5.5 and that was with a manual trans. 5.6 is nice especially for an auto. Yes, these cars are sleepers. Just sold a 1980 911 and my 540 would blow its doors off! 3rd gear is my favorite. :)

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
Anybody know what the app is for your iPhone that measures your 0-60? I'm eager to find out what my car can do.
Just be content in knowing that your car can smoke a `67 427 `Vette, a car that was pretty much considered to be King Kong back in the day....

·
Registered
762 Posts
I found a free one called PocketDyno. All the full version ones are around $13.00.

·
Registered
818 Posts
haha, yeah I'd hate to pay 12 bucks for a stopwatch app.
I wonder if a phones accelerometer is good enough to detect a 0-60 accurately

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have PocketDyno. Been using it for a long time and have tried it in several different cars. It has always managed to give me times right in line with published specs, so I believe it to be pretty accurate. For my 6-speed, it registered 243 whp; 5.46 0-60; 1/4 in 13.96 @ 103.24mph. Took me several tries to get that, BTW. My best prior to that was a 5.62. So its showing me pretty consistent results, too.

The accuracy is definitely heavily dependent on the weight you put in for the car as it sits right then and there with you and your stuff and gas in it. I just rounded mine off at 3700, so figure my numbers aren't dead accurate, but probably pretty darned close. Will have to weigh my car one of these days.

I've tried several other free programs, but PocketDyno has been the best so far. I'd like to get one that uses OBDII. I even bought a bluetooth OBDII plug ... but then found out the Apple bastards won't allow my iphone to see it.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
I know you are just being facitious, but it does make me wonder what ours could do on those same race tires. :dunno:
Yeah, I agree....muscle cars (ALL of `em) were severely traction-limited, and *rarely* even broke into the 13s in "showroom-stock" condition....Goats, 396 Chevelles, Boss Mustangs, Road Runners, GTXs, etc. were typically 14.5 second 1/4 mile cars, with 0 to 60 times around 7 seconds on street tires. Bolt on a set of slicks, open the headers, bump up the advance curve a few degrees, and put some Sunoco 260 in the tank, and most of `em would be in the high 12s....

·
Entwicklung 39
4,136 Posts
I know you are just being facitious, but it does make me wonder what ours could do on those same race tires. :dunno:
Shred a giubo? :D Actually, a decent limited slip would probably knock off a tenth or two off that 14.0 flat because you could launch a little harder.

I was just never a big fan of big block Corvettes. The hood profile never allowed for a good intake profile and most ended up with manifolds suited for station wagons. I used to smack them around all day long in my stroker Camaro. Using one (and a weak-hearted one at that) as the de facto representative of what the average muscle car pilot drove back in those days was a fairly lame comparison.

In my humblest of opinions, of course. :thumbup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I found a free version of the pockeydyno. I guess Ill find out after work whats what with it. How does it differ from the on thats 12.99?
The free version forces you to view an ad every time you start it up. It also limits your "garage" to 1 car at a time and your saved runs to the 5 most recent.

You can, however, change what is in your garage, so its not a big deal.

BTW, it doesn't just use the GPS. It is a combination of GPS and accelerometer. Considering whenever I have run it, it tells me my top speed was right where my speedometer told me it was, its surprisingly accurate. And if you read the slew of reviews, plenty of people have stated it aligns with their time slips and dyno runs, too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.