Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2000 540 about 1.5 months ago. It only had 18k miles on it when I picked it up. In that time I've put 1k miles on it and on 4 seperate occasions, while braking slowly and coming to a stop the engine has just switched off. When I go to accelerate again, the engine is off. I have to put it in P, turn the key, back to D and go. Very annoying and somewhat troubling since a couple of days ago it happened when I slowed to a stop on the interstate and when traffic moved again the engine was off. Could have become real ugly.

Anybody else have this problem or heard of it? Normal, low idle, any ideas?

·
Registered
920 Posts
weird.. so at speed it's fine? I'm assuming the problem then is only at idle right? does it simply switch off - or does it surge and stumble before shutting off?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Common affliction, though it is happening earlier than it does for most (mine went bad at ~40K miles, under warranty). Either the MAF or CPS is going bad. Are you seeing a service engine soon light? You may be getting soft errors, so find a mechanic and have him read the codes.

If it is the MAF, you may get it replaced FREE since BMW realized there was a problem and either extended the warranty on that part or made it a "we won't call you about it, you have to tell us if it fails" TSB.

For me, it happened when coming to a stop while turning (such as pulling into a parking spot in a mall).

Cheers,
Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I purchased my 99 540i about 3 years ago it had the same problem at 50000 miles. I went to two BMW dealers and 1 independent shop before finally finding out it was the MAF sensor. Your problem sounds exactly the same as mine. The MAF is not that expensive and you can easily replace it yourself. I would bet that if you change this part your headache will disappear. Good luck.

Jacob

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor?

There is no service light on at all. No lights of any kind, in fact.

Should I take my car to a BMW service center to have them diagnose this, or an independent mechanic? I like the idea of an extended warranty part replaced for free hehe :D I've been thinking of taking the car to BMW and have them do the CPO check anyway. Would they find the MAF problem during that check?

supark, no stumbling or anything. In fact, it turns off so quietly, that I go to accelerate and only then realize the engine is off.

Thanks for the advice so far guys

·
Registered
74 Posts
This Was My Problem And Solution

NoBull said:
So I bought a 2000 540 about 1.5 months ago. It only had 18k miles on it when I picked it up. In that time I've put 1k miles on it and on 4 seperate occasions, while braking slowly and coming to a stop the engine has just switched off. When I go to accelerate again, the engine is off. I have to put it in P, turn the key, back to D and go. Very annoying and somewhat troubling since a couple of days ago it happened when I slowed to a stop on the interstate and when traffic moved again the engine was off. Could have become real ugly.

Anybody else have this problem or heard of it? Normal, low idle, any ideas?

Check the link below...i experienced same problem as you are now. My car would die...Good luck with your issue...Let us know what is the fix for it...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125541

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
Yep, sounds like a MAF, mine wasn't as nice as yours, my car would stumble, burp, fart, then stall.. $600 later I have additional debt and a new MAF.

Ugh.

·
Registered
63 Posts
One question, does the car die while sitting idle. My X5 had hole in the Throttle body boot which connects the airbox to the throttle body and that causes a drastic deduction in air flow to the engine and was causing my car to die. It is like trying to suck up water through a straw with a hole in it. The motor cannot get enough air at velocity to keep it running. You may want to check to see it this is the case.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BlackE53_4.4 said:
One question, does the car die while sitting idle. My X5 had hole in the Throttle body boot which connects the airbox to the throttle body and that causes a drastic deduction in air flow to the engine and was causing my car to die. It is like trying to suck up water through a straw with a hole in it. The motor cannot get enough air at velocity to keep it running. You may want to check to see it this is the case.
I can't say for sure if it dies right as I'm coming to a stop or after idling at a stop for a few seconds. The 2 times it happened to me I came to a stop and then started moving after a few seconds and the engine was dead. It idles so quietly I can't tell if it's on or not :rofl: The other 2 times it's happened was when my wife was driving the car. I can't trust her testimony :p , so I can't say what the conditions were when it happened to her.

I'll have a look at the boot, when I go to check the the hoses anyway for FSB's :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have gone through the same thing. About two months ago my 98 540i(6) would just randomly stall while in the process of braking. The bright folks at my local dealership replaced the alternator ($900), then the ignition switch ($300), and its still not fixed. I raised a lot of stink, they gave me a new 330 to drive while they supposedly went through the electrical system. I've had it back a week, with no incidents, so we'll see.

How much and where is the Mass Airflow Sensor?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ive had similar problems, yet i conveniently work full time at the dealership during the summers, so a quick trip to the code reader while home and it was simply the camshaft position sensor, an easy 10minute install if you have a screwdriver. Look online for parts distributors to get it at wholesale, i believe it wan me $109 through the dealership, but that is of course with a hefty employee discount. Best of luck

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's interesting. I just had the CPO checkup done on my e39, and they claim there is absolutely nothing wrong with my car. Shouldn't this code have shown up? I forgot to tell them about the problem before having the checkup done. Should I call them back and explain the problem and have them recheck the codes or something?

·
Registered
3 Posts
yea my mfs also called hfm was dirty and just had to clean it out some dirt gets in there if you have an intake.... after i cleaned it it worked great

1 - 14 of 14 Posts