BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW dealer here in Kona wants about $3,000 to fix my problem: nav screen on 2000 740il is just white glow and radio shuts off after 2 minutes. I've got a little experience fixing electronics, but reluctant to dive in without some direction. Has anyone repaired the nav screen electronics? I see one post about an inline surge protector. Is that in the dashboard or trunk area?
Any help much appreciated. Love my car, don't want to start disliking it for high repair bills.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
A radio shutting off after a minute or two can be a Navigation unit problem. If your 7 is stock, you have a MKII Nav computer. They are succeptable to having problems if the power to the Nav is pulled before the red LED on the Nav goes out (that's either disconnecting the Nav or pulling the battery cable). Have you had any work done on your 7 recently that needed the battery to be disconnected?

Best way to test this is to swap Nav units with someone - yours in his, his in your car. That will help narrow down the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did replace the battery about the time the problem started, so that would have been the opportunity to lose the MKII, I guess.
Kona is a small town, I'm afraid, with a small BMW community. We didn't get our own BMW dealer on this island until about a year ago. I doubt I could find another 740 owner willing/able to swap the nav unit with me. Sigh.
Is the MKII Nav unit in the trunk, or behind the dashboard? Lemme at it.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
The MKII is the CD drive in the trunk:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I doubt I could find another 740 owner willing/able to swap the nav unit with me.
Don't limit your possible search to just a 740. e39s (the 5 series), X5s and other BMW models in roughly the same years also used MKII, MKIII or MKIVs, which would be interchangeable for testing with your Nav. Probably some 3 series cars also, but I'm sure about that.

·
2k740il
1 Posts
I have same issue but getting "Insert suitable cd"message on my screen.

Does anyone have suggestion on where to find used nav units? would junkyard be good spot?

·
Registered
10 Posts
konadave

Hey konadave. I live here in kona, too. did you ever fix your nav? i have a 2001 740il with all the same stuff you do. get back to me if you need any help with your ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts