BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have as you can see a 2000 740il, it has 140,000 on it. I have replaced every suspension part except the steering box (front and rear). still the car seems loose in the front. While driving the car on normal roads it seems to pull back and forth (side to side) and seems loose. Because of this I replace every moving part including wheel bearings. I am going crazy because I am a 16 year GM master tech and usually figure out what causes car issues. I love this car and own 5 bimmers and have never seen this before. It seems tighter but still has this issue. Could it be a king pin issue were the lower control arm may have ovaled the hole? Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Describe a little more the sound or the issue. It is coming when you push the brake? it is in the front end only? both sides ?
I'm curious...I've been struggling for a while to find the origin of something similar to a 95 740 and it turn out to be the brake caliper and pads in the front...That was my case...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I ordered a steering gear, a steering knuckle, and a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires. Then a 4 wheel alignment. Nothing left to replace. let you know what happens ;)

·
Registered
766 Posts
There was a thread recently that said about how the weighted alignment makes the car drive staighter with more stability, I would ask if the car was aligned properly or if they used the correct machine.

Man if a master tech can't figure it out after driving/feeling the car, I doubt I could from here. Good luck and please let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The replacement of the steering gear fixed the problem! It drives like a new one! :rofl:
We have a hunter alignment machine were I work at the Buick GMC dealership. It is the exact unit including software and weights that the BMW dealership uses according to the hunter rep. We use weights on the new Buick Lacrosse and the ride hight is to BMW spec during the alignment( +- 10 mm), so I know the alignment was right. The owner of the dealership has a Mercedes SLR and we align it in a little bit of a different way but ride hight is very important also. Next it will get a set of Michelin pilots monday. Should be better then ever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Steering Issues

When you say steering issues what do you mean? I have a 2001 740il with about 102k miles and the steering seems super easy (meaning it takes no effort to turn the wheel) at low speeds and then tightens up as I go faster (taking an off ramp from a highway). I don't know if BMW's have super power steering or the car steering needs work. It tracks straight so alignment seems correct, its just super easy to turn.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The replacement of the steering gear fixed the problem! It drives like a new one! :rofl:
Glad for you ! A lesson learned ! Any chance of a picture with the broken part ?
Or can you share with us the part #?
Enjoy your beast !!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
2001 740il

I had my tires replaced and the mechanic found the center link to be bad. One of the posts on the end of the center link was floating freely and that was the reason for all the play in the steering. The cost to replace the center link was $330 (labor included) and another $116 for an alignment at NTB. What a difference in the control of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
The steering box on these looks like something out of an old jeep or small truck. I've helped a couple guys out getting replacement boxes for 5 and 7 series cars, they tend to develop play at some point.
I thought Id resurrect this one (Im the new guy so I hope no one minds) since Im having similar issues. It drives ok but once I get up to some higher speeds, it feels really really loose. Also feels out of whack when I ride over a parallel crack or groove which forces harsh sudden movement and lack of control. I am leaking from the HP steering hose (on the to-do list) and have good tires. Still think it's the box? Any suggestions, let me know. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts