BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new member. I have a green 2000 740iL. The transmission is giving me a bit of a problem. I had the transmssion fluid changed. But it still will not always go into reverse unless I give it a little gas just after I select reverse and I feel the car go into reverse otherwise the car drives fine. I took it to AAMCO here in Trenton and the guy tried to rebuiled my transmission for 2321.00 and that did not include hard parts. I don't believe it needs rebuilding but I coould be wrong. Does anyone out there have any idea why the reverse gear in a 2000 740iL would act up and is there a fix that will not cost me a arm and leg. I love my baby so I will pay if I must.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Miles on the transmission? Are you sure you have the right fluid level? That's one symptom of the low fluid causing low pressure. When you switch the gear selector into reverse, does the light comes ON? Always?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks allot Joyism5 I believe you are correct I checked the reciept from the guy I had put new transmission fluid in and he only put in 8 quarts of fluid. I am going to take my baby over to meineke and have look at it. Thanks allot again.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
If you have the same transmission like mine 5HP 24 it takes 9qt of fluid with the torque converter. Probably, the shop replaced 8qt because they drained 8qt. But the Question is : Did they checked, if it had the right fluid level before draining it? Sometimes they are in a rush and they are assuming only.
Here in first post is the chart with fluid specifications. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519818&highlight=
If you are not sure what tranny you have, you can decode your VIN# www.realOEM.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.