Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Today I got the reduced power message on dashboard. Carly says 004BC2 air flow sensor. Does anyone has any experience what potentially be wrong? I made an appointment on Wednesday, but any suggestions would be appreciated. I am towing the trailer to Tahoe on Friday and would prefer to have full power :)

Thanks!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,436 Posts
The presumptive test for a failed air flow sensor is to unplug what you have, does the engine then run better presumes a failed sensor. The MAF must reach operating temperature to indicate properly, until then ALL engines run on a default air-fuel ratio map.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not notice any changes in the way the engine runs. But I drove only for a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Air mass sensor needs to be replaced. $190 diagnostics, $760 part and labor.

·
Nuclear engineer
16,436 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, this makes me feel a bit better. I googled some "air mass sensor" parts and saw parts in $100 range.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,181 Posts
No, you definitely got screwed. BMW part at that link is $108

I just dont understand the whole dealer thing, dude.

;)

·
Nuclear engineer
16,436 Posts
What is your old MAF history? Ever ***8216;clean***8217; it? Engine air filter change periodicity?

My VW TDI MAF was 13 y.o. 180K miles when I let it go. I will be most disappointed if my X5 MAF ever fails.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am always screwed in Bay Area. This is not even dealer. This is the place. I know that they have at least dealer rates, but I love local dealers so much that I prefer to pay more and avoid funny conversations. This was recommended to me by reasonable guys.

https://bavariumautoworks.com/

No, you definitely got screwed. BMW part at that link is $108

I just dont understand the whole dealer thing, dude.

;)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Air filter changed every max 20k miles. Never cleaned MAF.

What is your old MAF history? Ever 'clean' it? Engine air filter change periodicity?

My VW TDI MAF was 13 y.o. 180K miles when I let it go. I will be most disappointed if my X5 MAF ever fails.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,181 Posts
I am always screwed in Bay Area. This is not even dealer. This is the place. I know that they have at least dealer rates, but I love local dealers so much that I prefer to pay more and avoid funny conversations. This was recommended to me by reasonable guys.

https://bavariumautoworks.com/
When it comes to taking care of your car, European cars require a bit higher quality service than the standard shops can provide.
red flags for me....

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dealer - red flags; reputable (very expensive) indy - red flags... where should I fix my car?! :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Air mass sensor needs to be replaced. $190 diagnostics, $760 part and labor.
I'm also in the Bay Area, and the diagnostic fee is OK (considering the high overhead around here).
$760 is high.

Unusually wide range of prices for the Air Mass Sensor.
BMW list price is ~$500 and Getbmwparts (a BMW dealer) currently sells it for $337.
2 years ago, Getbmwparts was selling the same part for $20 (I missed out on that price)
The Bosch equivalent part is currently $100 - 150 from many vendors.
Pelican Parts has fast delivery (in CA).
AA Rodriquez is a great source for BMW Diesels

There is a Service Action on this part. A BMW dealer might replace it for free.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yeah, if I would not tow this weekend, I would play this differently.

Interesting with the service action - thanks for sharing! I will submit the expenses through the BMW reimbursement program. If they accept (even partially), that's great. If not, then... oh, well :)

EDIT - it appears that the reimbursement program shows specific items (NOX sensor, etc.) based on VIN. MAF sensor is not (obviously) on the list :) Any suggestions how to get traction with BMW on this would be appreciated :)

·
Nuclear engineer
16,436 Posts
Notice the FRU in the SIB 130616 Service Action and their increments; the deltas say 2 FRU to replace the MAF, and 2 FRU to clear the fault memory.

00 63 976. 1 FRU. Issue already addressed through another repair as noted below, no repair is necessary

00 63 977. 3 FRU. Replace the hot film air mass meter (Plus work)

00 63 980. 5 FRU. Replace the hot film air mass meter with the Service engine soon light is on (Clear the fault memory) (Plus work)

·
Nuclear engineer
16,436 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Every image of BMW HFM MAF part number ... 725 clearly has BOSCH on it. Are you confused?
I just said to buy the Bosh OEM part instead of the BMW OE part made by Bosch. What would give you the impression that I was confused. One is substantially cheaper than the other

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,181 Posts
I bet the shop is charging OE MSRP, but providing an OEM Bosch part....

For all you know, this service action was already performed back in 2015-2016.... any record?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any way to confirm OE vs. OEM? I do not see any BMW logo, but this may be not sufficient to conclude.

No record that this service action was done in 2015-2016. By the way, I had the short block replaced at dealer. I guess the sensor was reused.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts