BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a couple of questions regarding some problems I've been having with my 2001 BMW 325i.
A couple of months ago, my car had trouble starting, and would require a jump start to get it going. I changed the battery on the vehicle, and it preformed well for the first day or so, but after that it started giving me problems.
Soon, the CD player would stop playing, and various lights would come up onto my dash board.
At this time, I did not know what to do, and I had gone on vacation for 7 weeks, and upon my return it seemed to me that the car got worse. At the present time I can not even unlock the doors of the car with the key FOB, and the car requires that I manually open the key with the key hole.
My question is that since the battery is new, could it be the alternator that is faulty or are there any other causes to such problems?
If it is indeed the alternator, is it necessary for the red battery light to light up on my consule, because this light does not light up however i have seen it flash for a quick second once.
Thankyou

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello,
... and I had gone on vacation for 7 weeks...
My guess is that your alternator is at fault. I also think your "new battery" is now pretty well drained during the 7 weeks of no use/charge, as E46 consumes good amount of electricity while just sitting on the garage. I'm sure you can still "jump start" your battery, but you may have to replace the battery again. :tsk:

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Most auto parts stores will test your battery and alternator for free.

An E46 will certainly drain the battery if not started for 7 weeks, by the way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the alternator was actually faulty, would the battery light turn on?
Is there a possibility that the alternator may be faulty, but the battery light does not illuminate?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts