BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am new here and I have a major problem on my hands.
My 525i had tranny problems 3 months ago, it wouldnt reverse. I took it to a tranny shop and they replaced it. Then they called and said that my computer system has gone wrong and that caused the tranny to get messed up. So that got replaced to a new reprogrammed one.
Then I got a call saying that the car still drives funny and it could have something to do with the ABS light and the break lights.
So all the sensors got changed, yet still the abs light is on and the car runs weird.
Now there's a talk that the ABS brain or the wiring might be causing this whole mess.

I would like to know if anyone here knows of such problem with E39. Also could the ABS system make a major mess like this?

How could the abs brain and the wiring be checked and how deep is this mess is going to put me into financial debt?

Please advise.

Thank you,

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
The ABS "brain" is a known weak point. All diagnostics computers will misdiagnose as a sensor, 99% of the time. The sensors do lose efficiency over time so it's not going to hurt per se.

What kind of transmission shop? I'm not sure how many shops are qualified to do work on a ZF transmission. This may be the root cause.

Can you be more specific with regards to "running weirdly", i.e. poor idle, poor acceleration, poor fuel mileage, high rpms at highway speed, stalling, et cetera. I suspect it's the TCM (transmission control module) that's the problem here; the DSC/ASC module usually disables itself if there's a slight fault detected to prevent the brakes from doing something dangerous and unexpected.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts