Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Learning Every Day
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I put an M5 rear bar on my 540 about a year ago and didn't give it much thought afterward until yesterday when I was replacing an age-cracked inner fender liner. In glancing around under the rear of the car I was a bit shocked to find the following problem.

The LR sway bar bracket had been pulled out of the chassis mount and my 16.5mm bushing was MIA. My first thought was that I failed to get the bracket in the chassis slot at installation, and that may still be the case, but I doubt it :)

My point in posting is this: Check your sway bar brackets if you've added a larger rear sway bar and DID NOT change the brackets. After researching this thoroughly on the Fest this evening, there is not a great deal of info on this topic as far as what can go wrong with a larger rear sway bar using the stock aluminum brackets, at least not much that I found.

Apparently, it's not uncommon, especially with larger sway bars, to break the bracket in two in addition to mine pulling out. I suppose I was lucky there? Anyway, Turner Motorsports sells a bracket "upgrade" that is really nothing more than a steel version of the same aluminum bracket that's installed on the e39 for $10 per pair. That seems like cheap insurance versus losing anti-roll in a high speed corner!

Hope this helps someone the way all of you have helped me! Cheers!

·
Just call me 777.
852 Posts
Someone made a machined set of brackets for a while. There was a whole thread for it.

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,229 Posts
Beast Power makes upgraded aluminum brackets. They look great, while the Dinan rear bar is extremely rusty after many Midwest winters. The previous owner of my M5 got them, otherwise I’d go for the steel ones, too.

·
Under the lift arms
12,939 Posts
I know you guys like this m5 upgrade..

But i gotta pitch for how good a solid poly urethane bushing suspension is..

and how this doesn't happen

·
Learning Every Day
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard mixed reviews on the poly bushings, but then again, there's opinions both ways on pretty much EVERYTHING! I still like the steel brackets for the thicker sway bar........

·
Registered
176 Posts
Steel brackets are just the E34 part before they switched to aluminum.

Steel brackets will eventually break too, however. Not a bad thing to have a couple on the shelf.

·
Learning Every Day
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I've found 'em listed for a number of BMW models that cross over to the e39...

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
After putting Eibach bars on my 540 I switched to the steel brackets that are used on the E38's.
IIRC they were $4 each.
The polyurethane bushings that came with the bars are nice.
BeastPower brackets are $100 or more.

·
Learning Every Day
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After putting Eibach bars on my 540 I switched to the steel brackets that are used on the E38's.
IIRC they were $4 each.

Good information. Thank you Jim!

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,229 Posts
IIRC they were $4 each.

I have a very rusty Dinan rear sway bar right now. I will be dropping the front subframe in the immediate- near term for a rod bearing repair; should I go for the Eibach front and rear sway bars? They’re not listed as compatible with the M5, though I don’t know why.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts