BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 01 740iL - Already changed alternator, water pump, thermostat, two-coolant hoses, and gaskets. Transmission is getting a rebuild regardless of issues or not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When they rebuild the transmission the wire harness and turbine speed sensors and everything has to be changed. This is a complex transmission and you have to use a company that is familiar with this car and knows what to do exactly to bring it back to like new. Many shops just can't do this transmission correctly. I'm sure in Germany it is common but in the US most franchise shops are not capable of doing it correctly imo. I did use an Ammco but they documented to me others they had done with no problems and spoke with my BMW dealership and they knew exactly what they were doing and did a great job.. they also warrantied it for a year and also worked with my after market warranty company and did everything for me I just had to pick it up. It was actually closer to $2500.00 now that I'm thinking about it. My warranty Co. paid up to $2000.00. Everything about this car is expensive to fix. Nothing is cheap. My next project is a vacuum leak which is not affecting performance but at low speeds is creating a whistle so they replicated it for me using their hand to seal the area and it was able to be duplicated at will so this job is about another $500+ but is a large job. I'm not rushing to do it I'm still recuperating from the last 9 months of bleeding with this car. I wouldn't ever stop, I like it too much, I figure I paid 70k for it so 9 years later to spend 5k isn't too bad and cheaper than buying a new car and where can you get a car like this for 5k. The car has a lot of life left and drives as good as the day I drove it off the lot. One day I will change the cup holder too but that's last on my list for $130.00 plus labor. I just don't bring drinks in the car or hold them in my lap the cup holder stinks anyway and doesn't fit my cups anyway. I think if I was up to it I could fix it too it's just a matter of getting that hook on to the front piece I think.

·
740IL
12 Posts
that's a good price for a rebuild transmission. i'm sure to rebuild a bmw transmission is alot. i see "BMW 3-SERIES" you brought a 740il. cool!!! i'm sure you will like it once you get repaired the way you like it. they ride so smooth.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's a good price for a rebuild transmission. i'm sure to rebuild a bmw transmission is alot. i see "BMW 3-SERIES" you brought a 740il. cool!!! i'm sure you will like it once you get repaired the way you like it. they ride so smooth.
Yes yes.. I will be getting some pictures up soon. Its awesome! Sucks that my EDC Sturts are shot but watever, looking to get BilStein and convert them. EDC sucks

·
Registered
628 Posts
i was thinking $2500 is really decent for a rebuild on one of these five speed automatic ZFs. i believe you can source them already rebuilt, ready to install for about the same amount. i've never had the best of luck with automatics, in any car though. they are just subject to wear, and being hydrolic things need to be very precise internally. sometimes i would like to put a 5 speed manual in my E38, but i do love the ease of driving it with an automatic. by far the most comfortable and smooth car i've owned so far.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I wouldn't want a manual in a luxury car.. Being that its all automatic, a manual defeats its luxury in my opinion.. Although on a 740i Sport would make a little more sense. Before I can do anything I gotta pay off the owner 2700.00 before May, and I already paid 1K into fixing it. Soo Im wondering whats gonna happen. Looked but couldnt find a rebuilt tranny around me or ebaymotors either. But, Im still looking.. Im having a shop do it cause well warranty is better, I bring it to the shop and its servicable rather than removing and sending back or watever

·
Registered
5 Posts
When they rebuild the transmission the wire harness and turbine speed sensors and everything has to be changed. This is a complex transmission and you have to use a company that is familiar with this car and knows what to do exactly to bring it back to like new. Many shops just can't do this transmission correctly. I'm sure in Germany it is common but in the US most franchise shops are not capable of doing it correctly imo. I did use an Ammco but they documented to me others they had done with no problems and spoke with my BMW dealership and they knew exactly what they were doing and did a great job.. they also warrantied it for a year and also worked with my after market warranty company and did everything for me I just had to pick it up. It was actually closer to $2500.00 now that I'm thinking about it. My warranty Co. paid up to $2000.00. Everything about this car is expensive to fix. Nothing is cheap. My next project is a vacuum leak which is not affecting performance but at low speeds is creating a whistle so they replicated it for me using their hand to seal the area and it was able to be duplicated at will so this job is about another $500+ but is a large job. I'm not rushing to do it I'm still recuperating from the last 9 months of bleeding with this car. I wouldn't ever stop, I like it too much, I figure I paid 70k for it so 9 years later to spend 5k isn't too bad and cheaper than buying a new car and where can you get a car like this for 5k. The car has a lot of life left and drives as good as the day I drove it off the lot. One day I will change the cup holder too but that's last on my list for $130.00 plus labor. I just don't bring drinks in the car or hold them in my lap the cup holder stinks anyway and doesn't fit my cups anyway. I think if I was up to it I could fix it too it's just a matter of getting that hook on to the front piece I think.
Hey N, I need one of these tranys. What's the company???

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,126 Posts
Hey N, I need one of these tranys. What's the company???
ngraz617 hasn't been on this forum since before you joined! But from reading that post it looks like he went to an Ammco in NY for a rebuild.

Posted through Tapatalk downloaded to my neural implant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts