Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true you will have to program the new battery after replacing it to the car? Guess that means taking it to the dealer or independent shop to have it programmed.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
More or less like setting time on an oven.
On your MID press the clock symbol, adjust time on the MID and press SET.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,449 Posts
If your BMW has an IBS and AGM battery, yes, for best service life

Is it true you will have to program the new battery after replacing it to the car? Guess that means taking it to the dealer or independent shop to have it programmed.
If your BMW has an IBS and AGM battery, yes, for best service life.

Un-registered, the battery will work, for a while, maybe for as little as a month. It can be overcharged and cooked in as little as a month.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e39-540i-lim/search?q=AGM

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
The money you will spend taking it to a shop to register it would be better used to buy a BMW specific scan tool. Then you can register it yourself and have a very valuable tool that you will undoubtedly need down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Nuclear engineer
17,449 Posts
In principle, the battery must be registered with the BMW diagnosis system NewTIS

The e39 DOES NOT require the battery to be registered.
newTIS.info beta
Home / BMW E39 540i Sedan / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 61 General vehicle electrical system / General information for service staff on AGM batteries

NewTIS said:
The note the following points when handling AGM batteries:

>> Charging
>> Installation location
>> Housing
>> Battery renewal
[ ... ]
Battery renewal
In principle, any conventional lead-calcium battery can be exchanged for an AGM battery.
The use of an AGM battery has no consequence for the vehicle's electrical circuit.

Note: AGM batteries are especially recommended for ”problem customers”.
”Problem customers” have a very high energy throughput through the battery. The high energy throughput is caused by auxiliary consumers (TV, independent heating, etc.) and a use profile that is unfavourable for the battery (”chauffeur operations”, short distance driving, ”stop-and-go” driving). AGM batteries are recommended for such problem customers.

In principle, the battery must be registered with the BMW diagnosis system after every battery change.

Note: After changing the battery, register the new battery with the BMW diagnosis system.
If the service function ”Register battery change” is not run after changing the battery, the data stored in the power management will not be reset. The battery quality will then correspond to an older battery. The value for the battery quality is insufficient for the battery installed. The battery charge state may then be misinterpreted and unnecessary Check-Control messages may appear or fault memory entries may be stored (e.g. the Check-Control message ”Recharge battery” even though the battery fitted is new and fully charged).

·
Just call me 777.
852 Posts
newTIS.info beta
Home / BMW E39 540i Sedan / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 61 General vehicle electrical system / General information for service staff on AGM batteries

NewTIS said:
The note the following points when handling AGM batteries:

>> Charging
>> Installation location
>> Housing
>> Battery renewal
[ ... ]
Battery renewal
In principle, any conventional lead-calcium battery can be exchanged for an AGM battery.
The use of an AGM battery has no consequence for the vehicle's electrical circuit.

Note: AGM batteries are especially recommended for ***8221;problem customers***8221;.
***8221;Problem customers***8221; have a very high energy throughput through the battery. The high energy throughput is caused by auxiliary consumers (TV, independent heating, etc.) and a use profile that is unfavourable for the battery (***8221;chauffeur operations***8221;, short distance driving, ***8221;stop-and-go***8221; driving). AGM batteries are recommended for such problem customers.

In principle, the battery must be registered with the BMW diagnosis system after every battery change.

Note: After changing the battery, register the new battery with the BMW diagnosis system.
If the service function ***8221;Register battery change***8221; is not run after changing the battery, the data stored in the power management will not be reset. The battery quality will then correspond to an older battery. The value for the battery quality is insufficient for the battery installed. The battery charge state may then be misinterpreted and unnecessary Check-Control messages may appear or fault memory entries may be stored (e.g. the Check-Control message ***8221;Recharge battery***8221; even though the battery fitted is new and fully charged).
Emphasis on GENERAL electrical. TIS was updated for all models on AGM reprogramming even if the car was not equipped. I never reprogramed my battery in my E39 when I had it and it did just fine.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,449 Posts
Emphasis on GENERAL electrical. TIS was updated for all models on AGM reprogramming even if the car was not equipped. I never reprogramed my battery in my E39 when I had it and it did just fine.
If your BMW has an IBS and AGM battery, yes, for best service life.

Un-registered, the battery will work, for a while, maybe for as little as a month. It can be overcharged and cooked in as little as a month.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e39-540i-lim/search?q=AGM
Read the whole thread. Thanks for playing.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
This is a classic case of FROM in the documentation, aka “post problem” in math speak. The documents referenced thus far state “from e39” meaning every model after the e39.

The key point for registration is the intelligent battery sensor (IBS). If the vehicle has one it must have the battery registered to ensure proper charging.

One of the key points of the IBS is that the 12V charging socket (aka cigarette lighter) is NOT constantly on but rather controlled by relay. Thus one can’t charge the batteries via the socket as it turns off. As the e39 is constant hot and able to be charged through the socket, the e39 does not have an IBS. Plus note that the IBS workshop manual (bottom link) doesn’t show the e39.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...icle-electrical-system/61-20-battery/1LyvW9MF

Information on intelligent battery sensor (IBS)

Notice! Do not connect the charger to the 12 V charging socket
The 12 V charging socket is supplied with voltage by the rear power distribution box via relay. This relay drops out after terminal*15 OFF. This means that a trickle charger connected at the 12 V charging socket will be disconnected from the battery. Only charge the battery via the jump start terminal point. Only then can the voltage supply be registered by the vehicle.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/.../61-general-vehicle-electrical-system/1sDjY8z
All model from e39

https://bimmerscan.com/bmw-intelligent-battery-sensor-ibs/

2001 750iL DD74441
Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
^__THIS.
Can't beleive all the bad info given out on this forum over the years.....just saying.
Flame suit on.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This is a classic case of FROM in the documentation, aka ***8220;post problem***8221; in math speak. The documents referenced thus far state ***8220;from e39***8221; meaning every model after the e39.

The key point for registration is the intelligent battery sensor (IBS). If the vehicle has one it must have the battery registered to ensure proper charging.

One of the key points of the IBS is that the 12V charging socket (aka cigarette lighter) is NOT constantly on but rather controlled by relay. Thus one can***8217;t charge the batteries via the socket as it turns off. As the e39 is constant hot and able to be charged through the socket, the e39 does not have an IBS. Plus note that the IBS workshop manual (bottom link) doesn***8217;t show the e39.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...icle-electrical-system/61-20-battery/1LyvW9MF

Information on intelligent battery sensor (IBS)

Notice! Do not connect the charger to the 12 V charging socket
The 12 V charging socket is supplied with voltage by the rear power distribution box via relay. This relay drops out after terminal*15 OFF. This means that a trickle charger connected at the 12 V charging socket will be disconnected from the battery. Only charge the battery via the jump start terminal point. Only then can the voltage supply be registered by the vehicle.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/.../61-general-vehicle-electrical-system/1sDjY8z
All model from e39

https://bimmerscan.com/bmw-intelligent-battery-sensor-ibs/

2001 750iL DD74441
Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1
So as you said E39 bmw's don't need to register or program the new battery?

Will these batteries be fine to use? Are these AGM type batteries. In their description though it says computer system needs to be reset.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...4da3221a/2001/bmw/540i?q=Battery+-+Automotive

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It's not that you don't need to register it. There is no module to register it to. So you cannot register the battery on an E39.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,449 Posts
^__this. Can't beleive all the bad info given out on this forum over the years.....just saying. Flame suit on.
+1

lol

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
1 - 20 of 117 Posts