BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question for everyone. i know a friend who just turned in his 2002 325ci at the end of his lease. hes told me that he has had no problems with the car, maintained it, etc...so i go to bmw dealer, and he is offering it to me for $26000.

the car has 25k miles on it, body has no dents, scratches etc, the front tires are a bit worn, interior is mint. the options on it are sunroof, he said he upgraded the rims when he bought it, and it has xenons. it is automatic. i took a look at it, and the windshield has a chip that is turning into a crack. other than that, no issues.

im trying to get him down a couple grand. is this doable? what price should i shoot for.

thanks

·
Vendor
7,262 Posts
Run a KBB.com Retail/Private Party and Trade-in value on the car and you should know where the market is on the car. If it's going to be a CPO, the windshield will likely need to be fixed or replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i ran the nada and it came back at around 23500. i guess 500-1000 over that should be a good deal.

question though...is the windshield covered under the 3 yr 36000 maintainence or under the 4 yr 50000 warranty? if i dont cpo it...will they still replace the windshield?

·
Who, me?
2,733 Posts
doctordl said:
i ran the nada and it came back at around 23500. i guess 500-1000 over that should be a good deal.

question though...is the windshield covered under the 3 yr 36000 maintainence or under the 4 yr 50000 warranty? if i dont cpo it...will they still replace the windshield?
Windshield won't be covered under warranty if it was caused by an impact of some kind.. for reference, I just had mine replaced on an '03 325i, and the cost was about $500 through an independent using BMW glass...

That is a really low mile car for an '02... If you could get it certified for the price they are asking, that would be a good deal..

regards,
kyfdx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info re: windshield. the dealer is going to call me today, so now i have a bit better idea what to say to him.

and also, the 26k price includes the CPO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it gets more complicated....

i talked to the dealer today...and i knew that my buddy turned the car in to volkswagon, who gave him a rebate on a new car, and volkswagon turned it in to bmw.

now the bmw dealer is telling me that because it was turned in by a third party, the bank payout is different than what he originally thought, so he doesnt have any room to come down in price.

is this true about the different bank payout, or is he just spinning a story for me?

thanks

·
Exit Flagger
288 Posts
doctordl said:
it gets more complicated....

i talked to the dealer today...and i knew that my buddy turned the car in to volkswagon, who gave him a rebate on a new car, and volkswagon turned it in to bmw.

now the bmw dealer is telling me that because it was turned in by a third party, the bank payout is different than what he originally thought, so he doesnt have any room to come down in price.

is this true about the different bank payout, or is he just spinning a story for me?

thanks
They are BS'ing you. Are the VW dealer and BMW dealer owned by the same company? Why was a BMW new car lease turned in at the VW dealer. Stay firm on your price and don't back down. the car is worth the market value. it does not matter what the dealer paid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he turned it into volkswagon because he wanted to get out of the lease 1 month early, and volkswagon paid his last payment. he went through all that trouble to save 150 bucks.

if i knew he was turning it in early beforehand, i would have stopped him and just paid the lease end value. but i only found out after the fact. by the way, this particular bmw guy came recommended from a couple of friends who say hes given them good deals and service, which is why im tryin to figure out if this is BS or not.

and the volkswagon and bmw are two separate dealerships.

·
Who, me?
2,733 Posts
doctordl said:
he turned it into volkswagon because he wanted to get out of the lease 1 month early, and volkswagon paid his last payment. he went through all that trouble to save 150 bucks.

if i knew he was turning it in early beforehand, i would have stopped him and just paid the lease end value. but i only found out after the fact. by the way, this particular bmw guy came recommended from a couple of friends who say hes given them good deals and service, which is why im tryin to figure out if this is BS or not.

and the volkswagon and bmw are two separate dealerships.
If the BMW dealer has the car, and it was turned in to BMWFS (really doesn't matter that it went to the VW dealer first), then it was offered to them at the MMR price.. I think the VW thing is just BS.. (I reserve the right to be wrong).

Otherwise, how did the local BMW dealer end up with the car? Buy it at auction? What are the chances they would end up buying one of the cars they sold? Also, why would they pay more for that car, if they can get comparable cars cheaper?

This salesman knows that you want this car.... and he is trying to get more money.. Nothing wrong with that..

As posted above, the market determines pricing..

regards,
kyfdx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts