BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people, my cigarrete lighter isnt igniting? Is it a bad fuse or the harness of the cigarete lighter?

Any suggestions are well appreciated.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Happened to me too! It's either the fuse (in the rear) or the harness to the receptacle. It was not my fuse so I need a new receptacle. One of these days...

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
This comes up once every few months but it has never happened to me so I can only give you advice on how to move forward.

If it were me, I'd do a search, and then after reading twenty or thirty threads, I'd summarize the major causes (probably only 1/10th of the threads will have a resolution posted).

Then, you would start with the most logical causes.

And, better yet, you'd give US the summary, so we can point the next person in the right direction sooner! :)

Note: For the record, I did a /cigarette(F3) in the bestlinks, which found threads, but not the specific problem the OP is reporting.

·
Under the lift arms
13,183 Posts
i don't understand why the "Pro's" here don't rip you a new one or help you out... super simple...

mechanic 101.... @ the source...( the socket) do you have 12V?
yes---- no

If yes proceed to #4
If no repair open in circuit

do you have power @ the outlet?
have you checked the fuse's
did you drop a penny in the outlet?
and stop smoking the cigarettes.. they're the competition

·
Entwicklung 39
4,136 Posts
If you find the fuse to be good, disassemble the console and have a good look at it. I got a good used eyeglass tray/lighter off of eBay to replace mine for about 20 bucks.

I had the dreaded bad spring in the flip top lighter socket problem. Now it works perfectly.

·
25,199 Posts
It bothered me there was no bestlinks thread for a bad cigarette lighter, so I did a quick search for E39 cigarette lighter to start one.

If I had the problem, I'd go further and read all these threads (and more from google) and then summarize the results - but I'll leave that as an exercise for the OP.

I do ask the OP to let us know which of the above threads are the better ones, so we can remove the ones that aren't as helpful and move forward in the list the ones that are. (This is all standard procedure, and I'd have done it if it were my dilemma.)

Even if the threads aren't necessarily the best, once they're in the bestlinks, they get more action so the hope is that they 'become' the best for the problem at hand.

The entire intent is to give a complete and consistent answer to each question that has already been asked before.

Here's the first pass:
- How to diagnose & repair an inoperative E39 cigarette lighter socket (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8)

As always, please improve.

·
25,199 Posts
Here's the link with the fuses
That link is perfect for the cigarette lighter (which is the OP's problem).

In case he has to go deeper than the cig fuse itself, here are some more useful links:
- Where to find E39 fuse boxes (1) (2) (WDS) & how to find the front passenger seat undercarpet fuse panel (1)

·
Entwicklung 39
4,136 Posts
Good info Bee. We may need to have the links for console disassembly at the ready if the OP does indeed discover his problem lies with lighter socket.

It's an easy job for nimble digits but having arthritic old paws makes it a pain.

·
25,199 Posts
We may need to have the links for console disassembly at the ready if the OP does indeed discover his problem lies with lighter socket
Well, a quick /trim(F3) in the bestlinks finds these ready and waiting for the OP when needed:

• - How to remove interior cockpit trim (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & cracks in the wood panels (1) & in the plastic vents (1)
  • - Hualigan installation DIY with removal of MID, HVAC/IHKA, Business CD player (1), & dashboard trim (1)
  • - How to remove the trim and bracket holding the MID & HVAC/IHKA panels (1) (2)
  • etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
And it looks like I fixed my cigarette lighter problem too! Mine was also the 30A fuse #7. I had lost the fuse number guide in the glove box and had been focused on locating the lighter fuse in the trunk (#52), which was fine. After 559eddie559 mentioned fuse #7, I thought I would check mine. Sure enough, fuse #7 is blown. I am sure that once I replace it, my lighter issue will be solved. Nice not to have to disassemble the console to get at the lighter socket. :freakdanc

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Figured out my new 2001 530i didn't have a working cig a few days after driving.
I just looked at mt Glovebox #7, and it's burnt out.
Love this forum. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
As a followup, my fuse #7 was burnt out. When I finally bought some replacements, the new fuse burnt out immediately. So did the second replacement fuse. Rather than take for a third strike, I opted to avoid using the cigarette lighter. I finally bought the adapter that fits into the glovebox flashlight socket. Problem "fixed" or rather, an alternative solution identified. Oh well... Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you.

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
Anyone have any updates? Same thing just happened to me:

Checked fuse 52 in trunk and 39 in glove box. Both ok. Checked fro voltage with center positive and ring as ground getting 12.34V, so voltage is getting through. Measured amperage and get 1.8mA but when I plug in GPS or USB charger for cell phone, the items don't charge even though light on charger glow indicating current.

Finally, inserting the actual cig lighter in for 2 mins results in no glowing of coil

Ideas?

·
ZHP Caporegime
531 Posts
Did you try cleaning the socket from oxidation? The contact point could just not be putting enough current through

1 - 20 of 36 Posts