BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for some headlight lenses not the whole headlight just the clear plastic lense.
I cant find them anywhere. My lights are xenon which makes it harder to find some lenses for it.

Anyone with clear lenses or know where to find them please reply thanks!!

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Im looking for some headlight lenses not the whole headlight just the clear plastic lense
What's wrong with your headlight lenses?

See details here if they're just cloudy:
- Headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIY (1) (2) (3) (4) & polishing yellowed taillights (1)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

They have real deep scratches, swirl marks ,on and chips... My brother tried saving them by wet sanding them and clear coating them with his paint gun but they marks wont come off. The plastic is foggy its not nice and clear anymore thats why im looking for new ones but i dont want to pay around 500 bucks for new headlights cause they work fine but its just the plastic lens that make them luck ugly.

·
Registered
740 Posts

They have real deep scratches, swirl marks ,on and chips... My brother tried saving them by wet sanding them and clear coating them with his paint gun but they marks wont come off. The plastic is foggy its not nice and clear anymore thats why im looking for new ones but i dont want to pay around 500 bucks for new headlights cause they work fine but its just the plastic lens that make them luck ugly.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-0...Accessories&hash=item1c1a21b5bc#ht_1890wt_858

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
The lenses on xenon versus non xenon lights are the same. Get any from 2001 to 7/2002 build date and you are go to go. Ebay has them once in a while. The others mentioned here are not OEM, they are after markets reproductions.

Im looking for some headlight lenses not the whole headlight just the clear plastic lense.
I cant find them anywhere. My lights are xenon which makes it harder to find some lenses for it.

Anyone with clear lenses or know where to find them please reply thanks!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
The lenses on xenon versus non xenon lights are the same. Get any from 2001 to 7/2002 build date and you are go to go. Ebay has them once in a while. The others mentioned here are not OEM, they are after markets reproductions.
Is there a particular build date in 2001, or would this apply to all '01's?

Thx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installation

What was the installation process like? This is exactly what I was planning on doing, but the ebay seller doesn't mention how it works. Did you just bake your headlights in the oven and swap to the new lenses while the adhesive was still soft? Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Remove headlight lens

Smith365,

I know you have the headlights off the car already. First, removed the two small screws located on the back side by the turn signal of each headlight. Put on cookie sheet and place in the over at 225 degrees for about 10 minutes. The parts will be warm to hot so be careful. Use whatever you need to flip up the tabs on the headlight lens and pry apart. That easy. Now I HEARD a rumor that if the top of your headlight has a circular black dot that you can't remove the lens from the headlight assembly. Lucky for me my headlights were clear in that area and I was able to remove with no troubles. I would recommend resealing the lens to the headlight assembly using some kind of gasket sealer. The first time I removed my original lens I had to clean the inside of the lens. I did not use any gasket sealer.. When I put the new lens on for the first time, I put a gasket sealer on because I did not want the lens to fog up on the inside. Actually the drive side did fog up the first time it rained and I had to pull it off the car and reseal it. But all good now! Good Luck... have fun with them! :roundel:

·
resident, old fart
1,870 Posts
I did follow this procedure on my 2002 and found it still to be quite a chore to get lenses free of the old sealer. I mean by a "chore", cutting the old lenses off about an inch from where the lens embedded in the oem sealer and then wrestling old lens out in pieces grabbing with vice grips and removing what I could and then back in the oven for a "re-heat". I caused damage to the light case itself in a few places, but getting a good seal to new clear lens was not an issue. Just used a LOT of high-temp gasket maker. (black RTV). I must believe that even newer ovens may not regulate temp in these low ranges around 200 degrees. I used a setting of 210 degrees and old sealer was not real pliable and had to work fast as if you don't make good progress rather quickly, the sealer hardens again. I was just afraid to go any hotter and "dick-head momentum" just kept me at it and no being very neat. Just telling you this in case your lenses were tougher like mine were. You may have better luck and I can't swear I had over hot enough to make sealer pliable, but not melt case.

Good luck and if anyone has better info on how sensitive oem sealer is to a certain temp. to get soft enough, please advise. It might help on next attempt! G/L

·
Constantly Learning
2,074 Posts
If and when my lenses are ever shot, I'll be researching all the myriad retrofit options. Seems like a way to maintain excellent quality in the same housing, yet pay far less than OE replacement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.