BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been leaking a ton of antifreeze from the water pump...Do they make O rings for the water pump?? my water pump loooks fine but i need that damn O ring

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
My car has been leaking a ton of antifreeze from the water pump...Do they make O rings for the water pump?? my water pump loooks fine but i need that damn O ring
Somewhere back I saw someone (cn90?) looking for a gasket for a water pump ... but realistically ... you really need to replace the entire cooling system whenever any one part of the cooling system blows.

If you're leaking a 'ton of antifreeze', then you're already courting disaster.

Don't believe me. Believe all these people:
- Combined summary advice for major decisions when a cooling system overheating caused suspected blown head gaskets, cracked heads, a warped block, cam seizures, contaminated bearings, coolant hydrolock, or piston, ring, and valve damage (1) (2) (3) & advice previously given to people faced with similar blown engine problems (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23)

If you need more advice as to why you replace the WHOLE system when any one part of the system blows, see this highly pictorial thread:
- Pictorial look at typical E39 cooling system failure modes (1)

And, for a list of the parts you need to replace, see this thread:
- Complete cooling system overhaul recommended parts list (1)

BTW, how do you know the water pump impeller and bearings are "fine"?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i have spent a good amont of money on my cooling system but thanks for the info it might come in handy cause these parts seem to fly out the window after you start driving.

·
25,199 Posts
well i have spent a good amont of money on my cooling system but thanks for the info it might come in handy cause these parts seem to fly out the window after you start driving.
Well, if you've RECENTLY replaced other things in the cooling system, you 'may' not need to replace 'em now.

But, it sure seems that a new waterpump is in your near future:
- What brand of waterpump to buy (1)

In addition, these comprehensive links (for completeness and consistency) may be useful to you:

- What to look for when your KTMP (1) or coolant temperature gauge indicates overheating (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) & what to look for in a perfectly normal E39 cooling system (1) & a picture of every failed part in the cooling system (1) & various techniques to properly bleed (1) (2) (3) & refill (1) & what coolant to use (1) & what parts to replace (1) & what special tools to make or buy (1) & how to tell how old your cooling system is (1) (2) & how to test the cooling system auxiliary electrical fan (1) (2) & the infamous fuse 75 (1) & the aux fan relay (1) & how to diagnose lack of HVAC/IHKA heater core heat with cooling system (auxiliary pump) at idle (1) & a Behr radiator and Behr/Heat expansion tank autopsy (1) (2) & request for another Behr surge tank autopsy (1) & why new made-in-China Behr/Hella expansion tanks are DOA (1) & E39 Fan shroud removal DIY (Besian) (M54) & some of the better cooling system DIYs (cn90 1997-1998 M54TU) (cn90 V8) (aioros '99-03 M54) (Ågent99 '01 530i) (pelican 3-series) (bluebee M54B25) & tricks to replace the fan clutch nut (1) & lower-hose thermoswitch o-ring (1) & to non-destructively remove the heater hoses (1) or radiator nipple (1) or expansion tank nipple (1) (2) or Oetiker clamp (1) or misplaced thermostat wiring loom (1) or broken bleeder screw (1) & modifying the cooling system (pressure cap) (zero psi fluids) or Zionsville (BlackBMWs) (William) (ohmess) aluminum radiators & what happens if you drive one mile too far with an overheated BMW cooling system (1).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea if my o ring is old my water pump gots to be old.... i think its original and it has gone 210000 miles so turned out to be one good water pump.
Thanks people!!

·
Registered
15,283 Posts
210K on a WP is pretty good but you may never know it was changed before by the previous owner.

YES, they sell the O-ring separately but considering that new WP (which comes with O-ring) is about $70, it does NOT make sense to save money there.

I have had my "HEPU" WP now in my E39 for 5 years, zero problems.
FYI: People in the Volvo forum love "HEPU" WP.

Anyway, anything not yet replaced in the cooling system: check and replace, all you need is a little $1.00 part to go bad, then kaboom, $4-5K repair bill.

PS: The PN for WP O-ring for all I6 engines of the E39 is 11511711484, $4-5 at dealer.

·
25,199 Posts

·
25,199 Posts
The PN for WP O-ring for all I6 engines of the E39 is 11511711484, $4-5 at dealer.
For the crosslink record, today an E46 owner had "a little problem" in that his waterpump was leaking so he's looking for whether he should get 'just' the o-ring.

I pointed him to cn90's information above ... but everyone (including me) admonished to overhaul the entire cooling system.

Here's the reference from today:
- E46 (1999 - 2006) > 02 3301 waterpump leaking

i have once a again a little problem, today a was going to dinner with my wife when my coolant light popped on, coolant was all over my serp belt and once it cooled off i topped the fluid to make it home, i believe my waterpump it leakin, not bad but its leaking, my car did not overheat at all, guessin just a bad o-ring, checked belt coolant reservoir anything else that could be leaking, so my question is should i replaced the water pump or should i go with the 0-ring, figure once there do the whole job done right, getting opinions is always helpful instead of hearing my buddy, so what do u think?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts