BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question reference my recently acquired 02 M Roadster. The speedo is woefully inaccurate in that at a indicated 80 MPH thru a measured mile, timed with a chronograph with Tach feature the car clocked out at 73 MPH. The speedo is reading 7 MPH high. I guess I expected the accuracy for an electronic device to be spot on. The speedo in my 74 2002Lux is more accurate and it is cable driven. Is this something that can be remedied thru a software update or is it just the nature of the beast?
Thanks
Earl
74 2002Lux
02 M Roadster
72 Volvo 1800ES

·
Astigmatic Visionary
2,802 Posts
Most all current Bimmers are optimistic by at least 4 to 6 mph at an indicated 80 mph. Similar percentages across the speed range. many blame our litigious climate.:confused:

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
SEARCH, several threads on the allowable error by BMW.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess I expected better as the 32 year old 2002 I have been driving daily is far more accurate.

Earl
74 2002Lux
02 M Roadster
72 Volvo 1800ES

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, I was stationed in UK as an Instructor Pilot with the British Army in the late eighties. I had the opportunity to purchase a 2002Lux that had failed the MOT due to rust. As the Lux was nothing more than a trim package, I stripped the car of all usable parts, shipped them home in my household goods when my tour ended. Installed the bits, wood trim on the doors, rear seat with center pulldown armrest, real wood instrument binnacle and the wood bit the ashtray/hazard light mounts in and the "L" under to 2002 emblem. The Lux option was never officially imported into the states.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Very nice :thumbup:. There is probably a market for retro-looking face plates for modern audio systems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
how does that affect the odometer reading

I figure this would cause extra migate to accumulate thus leading to accelerated depreciation. I wonder what the math on that would be (and factor in decreased maintenance service intervals and such and the twisted psychological factor of BMW drivers "feeling" like they are always going faster than they are...leading many to probably scold wives and friends for driving too fast...heh heh)

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
FloridaJohn said:
It does not affect the odometer at all, only the speed reading.
On my car the odometer reading with stock tires was wrong too (almost 10% error), according to GPS and 10 miles worth of mile markers on straight interstate. Annoying but not as annoying as the speedo error.

I've yet to move the needle on the speedo like Ron did. It was on the short list until the car went into the shop for 7 weeks. I've had a Dakota Digital SGI-5 B in the car for a long while, but haven't left it in-line for long periods. So I don't yet know how long it takes for the mileage tampering light to come on due to a mismatch between thw wheel speed sensors and the differential sender.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Call your dealer. He'll print out the Technical Service Bulliten that shows the allowable error.

It's like 10% + 2 mph I believe so long as it is in the negative direction.

I will say that it got me out of a ticket though.

I showed the TSB to the City Attorney and said I have no idea if I'm going 75mph as the speedo indicates or 68 as the TSB illudes too.

She agreed and through out the ticket.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.