BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So unlike many posts about being locked out, I for one didn't lock my key in the car. I do not have a FOB/remote entry key however. Having owned the car since day 1 however, we have lost the FOB key. I've been for years using a normal key although it's probably called the valet key. I doesn't fit into the trunk; putting seats down is easy but...

So yesterday I arrived at a local eatery only to get out and lock the door as normal. All good. As I pulled the key out of the lock however, I heard what sounded like the lock mechanism falling apart into the door. I re-inserted the key only to find nothing at all happens and there's no resistance either putting the key in or turning it. The key turns to horizontal both front and rear as normal but there's clearly no locking mechanism there to engage the key.

Seeing many people post the obvious answer as if that's somehow magic, I recognize ordering a fob key might be an option. Obviously a brick thru a window is also an option....if you want to call it that.

The driver's door lock seems useless at this stage so I'm wondering if something could be done without concern for salvaging the lock since it's toast anyway.

I've also seen posting saying use of a slimjim and or other typical unlock methods someone from AAA might use don't work on this make/model. Can anyone confirm, deny or suggest ideas?

·
catso
3,163 Posts
So unlike many posts about being locked out, I for one didn't lock my key in the car. I do not have a FOB/remote entry key however. Having owned the car since day 1 however, we have lost the FOB key. I've been for years using a normal key although it's probably called the valet key. I doesn't fit into the trunk; putting seats down is easy but...

So yesterday I arrived at a local eatery only to get out and lock the door as normal. All good. As I pulled the key out of the lock however, I heard what sounded like the lock mechanism falling apart into the door. I re-inserted the key only to find nothing at all happens and there's no resistance either putting the key in or turning it. The key turns to horizontal both front and rear as normal but there's clearly no locking mechanism there to engage the key.

Seeing many people post the obvious answer as if that's somehow magic, I recognize ordering a fob key might be an option. Obviously a brick thru a window is also an option....if you want to call it that.

The driver's door lock seems useless at this stage so I'm wondering if something could be done without concern for salvaging the lock since it's toast anyway.

I've also seen posting saying use of a slimjim and or other typical unlock methods someone from AAA might use don't work on this make/model. Can anyone confirm, deny or suggest ideas?
You may have some luck with a slim-jim, although I'm not sure of where to position it. Once you get the door unlocked, you can easily remove the lock cylinder and confirm that it's the problem. It only requires a 5mm Allen wrench to loosen the setscrew that retains the lock cylinder. You can get the parts necessary to repair it on Ebay and do it yourself inexpensively. We had a fairly comprehensive thread about this not too long ago. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443970&highlight=lock+cylinder

·
Registered
4,278 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts

The slim jim will not work. You can drill out the lock cylinder and then insert a long screw driver to turn the white thing on the actuator to unlock the door. The picture below shows the lock cylinder removed, but, it shows what you need to turn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. The locksmith used what looks like a blood pressure cuff to slip between the door and the frame, he then inflated it and was able to insert a long metal rod with a 90 degree bend at the end to activate the doorlock button. They only charged me $15 - but that might have been because I was on campus, close to their office and a teacher??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts