BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at picking up an '03 530i sport tomorrow and it may need a new steering rack. I am finding mixed information online and nothing definite whether this model would have the servotronic steering rack. Even realoem isn't real clear when I put the serial in for the car. Can anyone help clarify this for me? The car is a few hours away or I would just go look at it.

I have found the rack for a decent price online without the servotronic unit, but it seems they are quite a bit more with... Help :dunno:

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what the problem is. It is at a dealership and the service dept said it needed a new rack. The salesman took it out and drove it yesterday and said he didn't notice anything wrong with it, said it drove fine with no noise or anything. I don't have a problem replacing the rack if that is the case, I am just trying to get the pricing on the parts before hand. If it turns out that it doesn't need one then all the better, but I am planning on it.

The car is a black on black 530i with manual transmission and 102k miles on the clock. Just what I have been looking for...

Thanks for the quick reply!

· Entwicklung 39
4,202 Posts
Jet Black II on black with a 5-speed? Best E39 ever. :thumbup:

My indie thought I needed a rack too but it turned out to be bad tie rod ends.

If you go Jet black, you'll never go back. :D

BTW, Servotronic was only available on euro models so no need to worry.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, Servotronic was only available on euro models so no need to worry.
Awesome, thats what I wanted to hear! I am pretty pumped about the car, I have been looking for quite awhile for the right one. I put a $500 deposit down on the car yesterday and will go get it tomorrow. I found an extra set of wheels with Blizzaks mounted on them in the same area too, so hopefully will pick them up for the right price while I'm down there.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it turned out I didn't pick the car up. My wife and I drove down there on Saturday and were pretty dissapointed in the car. Passenger side looked decent, I noticed bubbling paint on the rim of the wheels, but figured that wasn't too big of a deal. But the drivers side was in pretty sad shape. It had dings, chips and scratches from the rear door back. I can deal with a couple dings, but this side was pretty bad. As soon as my wife saw it she was saying I wouldn't be happy with that, she knows I like good clean paint and that would bother me. Also had a couple small dents in the trunk lid and a dent in the hood. We popped the hood, and when I say we I mean that one person had to pull the release and the other pull up on the hood to get it to pop. It was filthy under there. Yeah, it could be cleaned but what does this say about the maintenance it recieved? The passenger seat looked twisted, but after messing with it I found that the motor on the left side of the seat back was working, but not on the right. So the seat would straighten up when sat upright, but if reclined at all it would start to twist. The spare wheel in the trunk had moisture all over it, is it common for them to leak? They had just washed the car, but it seamed like condensation. Mismatched tires front to back too, but they all needed replaced.

Ok, that was the bad... I decided since I had just drove 2 1/2 hrs for the car I should at least drive it. Once I took it out I almost wanted to buy it even with the other flaws. It was a blast to drive! I have driven the same car with an auto, but this was the first 5 spd 530i that I have driven. I was really impressed. Now my list of wants got even harder to fill since I really want the 5 spd too. I didn't notice anything wrong with the steering.

Anyway, I went back and told the dealer that the car just wasn't the one I was looking for. He wanted to know what kind of number I had in my head that would make it the car for me. I didn't really think there was one, but told him to give me their absolute bottom dollar and I would consider it. They ended up at $7500, which was $1k off of the original asking price but after looking this long for the right car I wasn't ready to settle for one with this many obvious issues. I have been looking every day or two for about 4 months now, not an easy car to find. I will keep looking though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.