BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 BMW 745i. Two days ago I went to start the car in my garage and before I started it an warning message displayed saying Reduced Transmission Performance. Possible Transmission Malfunction. Please take to nearest BMW service center.

My car has 76,000 miles on it and had the transmission replaced under warranty at a BMW dealership less than 1 year ago.

I drove the car to work, 38 miles each way, and back that day and it shifts perfectly. No slipping, no leaks.

I had the battery tested, 1001 CCA and 12.67 volts/

I had the alernator tested, 14.43 charge and 14.34 under load.

I used an OBDII scanner and there were no codes in the system.

Sometimes it takes a couple tries to get the shifter to go from drive to park.

Someone told me that if the regulator on the alternator has an intermittent problem, it could cause a charging spike and cause that light to come on.

I was also told that transmissions replaced at BMW come with a 24 month warranty??? Does anyone know if thats right?

I don't think its the transmission. Please let me know if you have any advice or suggestions.

Thank you

·
Registered
333 Posts
Since the trans was replaced by the dealer less then a year ago i would go back just in case,and yes there is a 24 month part warranty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you on that... but still inconveniences me without a ride to get to and from work.

Still hoping it is something simple. Especially since I point and punch the gas and it goes where I want it to...no shifting troubles.

I heard these cars are sensitive.

My friend still thinks it an intermittennt charging spike that will require a BMW scanner to reset and possibly a new voltage regualtor.

Won't know till later this week whenI get someone who has a scanner to come by and check it for me.

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New symptom... intermittently the drives become louder under the hood, the transmission shifts hard from park to drive, the idle is faster wanting to pull the car forward in drive, and the windows make a loud gear noise when rolling up and down.

Then all of a sudden the drive noise under the hood goes away, the windows all roll quietly, and the transmission shifts smoothly from park to drive and vice versa.

Anyone have any ideas????

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
New symptom... intermittently the drives become louder under the hood, the transmission shifts hard from park to drive, the idle is faster wanting to pull the car forward in drive, and the windows make a loud gear noise when rolling up and down.

Then all of a sudden the drive noise under the hood goes away, the windows all roll quietly, and the transmission shifts smoothly from park to drive and vice versa.

Anyone have any ideas????
i have an idea ! take it back ! there is obviously some thing a miss !!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Realized I never responded to this... I scanned all the modules with my scanner and reset them one by one. Fixed my SRS light... reset the trans module and cleared the reduced power message. 20,000 miles later still shifts smooth, no error messages or lights. Underlying cause was a software glitch.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was having a alternator issue "GENERATOR FAULT" would keep COMMING up on my dash board 2 days ago my car stalled in the freeway, my dash looked like a daam XMAS tree with all these DAAM lights COMMING on and off , also it was throwing me codes , TRANS FAIL, ABS, PARKING BRAKE AND ALL OF THE sudden car turned off ,, I REPLACED THE ALTERNATOR TODAY CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF THIS IS RIGHT ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts