BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i bought this car on january 15th, 2008 as a used car with 73,000 miles. it has been little over three months, dealer had it 48 days so far (5 times visited to the dealer). anybody know if i can lemon my car, even i am not the original owner? or trade assist by bmwna?:cry:

-All the door sills (peeling)
-Universal Joint for transmission (clunk)
-Flex disc (clunk)
-Left & right trunk brake lights (condensation)
-Console Buttons (peeling)
-Driver's side & Passanger's side b-pillars (peeling)
-Passanger's rear out door sill (seperating at seal)
-Center Console Wood trim whole piece (cracked)
-Driver's side rear alium trim (cracked)
-Cigarette Lighters all three (inop)
-Outer Handles had no illuminations by door handle (all 4 blubs)
-Passanger's side quarter sunshade (seperating at seal)
-Rear sunshade (rattle)
-Instrument Cluster Gauge (moisture build up in the cluster)
-7 Logic amp (not working)
-Passanger's front door handle (fell off)
-Nav Screen (brightess didn't work)
-Center Console by ash tray (spring noise)
-Sunroof Frame (wind noise)
-New Key (defective)

·
Banned
638 Posts

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Lemon laws are State specific. Check your State laws. The good news is you have a warranty and with that list, you seem to fixing all the common problems.

·
Registered
535 Posts
You bought a used car, it is not going to be perfect! Items are going to wear and make some noise. If you did not have warranty on your car (like you got an 04) would you really take it in for all those problems? The transmission clunk and maybe the handle is the only thing on your list that would make me take it to a shop to get diagnosed if I were out of warranty. If they Lemon that car they might as well lemon every 6 year old BMW out there!
You are the one taking it to a shop so often, deal with a little paint peeling and a few squeaks if you do not want to keep taking your car to a shop. :dunno:

if you take it to the shop like this at 101k you are going to go poor in a hurry.

-Flex disc (clunk)
-Rear sunshade (rattle)
-New Key (defective)

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you bought it from a BMW dealership as a cpo, I would talk to the General Manager and negotiate for another vehicle. At this point you have nothing to lose.

Again, they are not entitled to give you anything. If you approach them nice enough, they might do something "special" for you. Either way, its gonna cost you money.

Trust me, they will be willing to sell you another car. You WILL lose some money due to negative equilty, but it would be better than suffering from the list of problems.

I would not waste your time and effort on the Lemon Law. On used cars, it is an uphill battle that you will probably lose.

Just my .02

:eeps:

·
Registered
184 Posts
We had an Expedition several years ago that had a fuel system problem causing the truck to jump on the back of wreckers when the car showed around 1/4 tank of gas or more if on a hill. Ford replaced everything and the problem was still there. The regional service manager for Ford finally 'fessed up and said that they were aware of the problem and had no fix. When I mentioned filling as a lemon he coordinated a trade for a new truck. When asked what would happen to that truck, they said it would be sold as a demo!

In Georgia, lemon law only applies to new cars. Even though our truck had a problem that Ford couldnt' fix, they were going to sell it to someone else (used) and repair it for ever under warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar issue with 2002 BMW 745LI ... this car has lived in the shop since I've owned it. Here's the kicker, I went back one month ago and they tell me the 7 year warranty is expired as of July. The car was built in June 2002 which you would think give you at least until June of 2009. The service manager told me that is not the case. I was told that it is based on model release date which is July of 2001. I'm hoping to prove him wrong, however he showed me the computer screen where everything said it was out of warranty as of this summer. I need about $5000 in repairs to items that should not be malfunctioning in a car with less than 70,000 miles. I may be getting treated differently since I bought mine from the Lexus dealer 3 years ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guess I learned the hard way, can't believe the service manager didn't just say it was a 6 year instead of giving me the story that it backdates to the release date... I should have read up on the warranty and known it was only 6. Bought the car used and was told 7 years. I'm looking to buy an extended warranty now. I've found 1 year/12k warranty for $1100 assuming you can drive the car for 1000 miles without needing their services. Found it at paragonmotorclub.com

·
The White Knight
648 Posts
i bought this car on january 15th, 2008 as a used car with 73,000 miles. it has been little over three months, dealer had it 48 days so far (5 times visited to the dealer). anybody know if i can lemon my car, even i am not the original owner? or trade assist by bmwna?:cry:

-Flex disc (clunk)
-Rear sunshade (rattle)
-New Key (defective)
Have the dealer fix all those problems under warranty instead of having buyers remorse which is what it sounds like.:dunno:

·
Registered
433 Posts

-Flex disc (clunk)
-Rear sunshade (rattle)
-New Key (defective)
You definately have a lemon-law case! I had a 02 with a much shorter list of problems and BMW-NA took it back.

The 2002/2003 models have a 6-yr 100k warranty. You do not have to be the original owner. Just make sure you put BMW-NA on notice before your warranty expires!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts