Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I***8217;m having issues with my e65 draining my battery. Originally took the vehicle for this same problem three weeks back, indie shop said it was power module was not going to sleep so was replaced. Ended up replacing battery (not OEM) and was working fine for two weeks then my abs/transmission failsafe mode came on and really limited my vehicle power and left me stranded. Put an original OEM battery but wasn***8217;t registered, a lot of ppl say that doesn***8217;t matter?Had to jump start vehicle and took me about 5miles and died again. Replaced the abs after doing my research and still nothing!!!! Please help!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi from experience it could very well be the alternator - my e65 730d ('04 model) kept throwing up all manner of warnings. ABS, transmission faults, and battery dying after a short run with lights and rear demister on. Also the iDrive display was really bad - like fuzzy picture/black screen as if there was interference.
It turned out the alternator was FUBAR, as was the bottom or crank pulley (aka Crankshaft Harmonic Dampener). The latter was wobbling and may have caused the failure of the alternator, however both were 14 years old.
Anyway I had both replaced - cost was around £450 including labour (labor), a major car parts retailer was doing a Summer 60% discount thankfully.
The car could be jumped started and run straight away again when the battery died so it was really weird and took a while to fully diagnose. Definitely behaved worse in the cold weather.
The car is very demanding required a lot of power for all they systems running. I know some petrol/gas e65 have a water cooled alternator too, maybe someone could advise. And if I look at the secret menu I was getting around 14.4v on the voltage so it was a mystery.
Thing is if your car is a year older than mine, its probably time for a new alternator, and dont discount the pulley too.
Good luck, let me know how you get on!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i replaced the alternator (water cooled) which is stupid expensive and a pain to put on but still no change:(. Next thing i thought is i might have a parasitic draw? so i connected a voltage meter and something is draining my battery at 1.40 while the car is off!?!which I'm assuming is throwing off the trans/abs since there is not enough power running through the car. Next thing i did was started pulling fuses, but i don't think i waited long enough for each fuse i pulled according to another forum so i will be trying that again tomorrow and see if i could find what is draining the battery.

You think I might have gotten a bad alternator?

Thanks!

·
Registered
215 Posts
have you looked to see if the seat light turns off - (ie when the car is locked the lights on the center console should turn off after 10 mins ish)
what does your car voltage stay at when running and driving - if 14v ish then I would say you don't have any problem with the alternator.
I use a plug in volt gauge (cigarette lighter) which I can leave in - drops to 12.5 v when the car is locked (+ mine over charges a little when driven and charges at 14.6v)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car runs about 14v when running. I did check to see if the seat light turns off on the side (where you adjust it to go back and forth) and after 10mins no it doesn***8217;t turn off!?both seat lights stay on. How can I get it to turn off?

·
Registered
215 Posts
The car runs about 14v when running. I did check to see if the seat light turns off on the side (where you adjust it to go back and forth) and after 10mins no it doesn't turn off!?both seat lights stay on. How can I get it to turn off?
there is a lot written about this - if the light is staying on that means that something is waking the car up and not going to sleep, normally this is the drivers door handle but there are ways to test and eliminate things , but this will be your problem on why the battery is draining - have a read about the door handle first!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! Would you happen to know how to test the door handle? Or direct me to a forum that this is discussed. Thanks again

·
Registered
215 Posts
you would have to search - as I only read it a few weeks ago, I believe you can disconnect it to test but there are many other things that malfunction that would cause the car not to go to sleep , it's best to read what other people have found the best order to test in. but from memory if every thing in the car appears to work correctly then the door handle is likely to be the offending item ( gets more complicated if you have two items)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts