BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
an audience of One
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Few Questions for you all:
  • Did BMW sell '03 manual transmission 540 Tourings in Canada?
  • If so, did the Sport Package equipped cars have the M Technic body kit?
  • Do Canadian BMWs have to be federalized if they are going to be registered in the States?
Thank You,
Mark

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I know the last part is a yes.

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
an audience of One
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rtw_travel said:
I know the first one - no. The only standard available on the touring is the 525iT. I have heard rumours of aftermarket 6 speed conversions of the 540iT in the US.

For some reason, yahoo.ca still has a "new car information" page for the '03 model.

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/newcars/details/bmw035series/model_overview.html?refsrc=autos/make

You can probably figure out the answer to your second question there.
Dang. If there is no manual 540iT to be had, then never mind :( thanks for the info :)

-Mark

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Kaz said:
I know the last part is a yes.
Kaz,
Do you have any direct experience? I do, and no, they do not have to be "Federalized". The cars meet (and in fact exceed) ALL USA DOT/EPA requirements said for one: the speedometer. A call to BMW Canada with the VIN number handly will get you a fax in 24 hours from them identifying the car by VIN attesting to this fact) To be compliant, the speedo must read in mph. What the odometer reads is irrelevant if the car is being imported for personal use. What this means, is that IF the car reads mph in lower case like most USA cars read kph in lower case, then you would be fine to import the car "as is". But, BMW's only read in kph, so this requires a swap of the speedo. Canadian BMW dealers know the drill, and will perform an "exchange" for your speedo for $800 to $900 and will reprogram the odometer to read with the correct amount of miles from day of in-service. When you arrive at the border, go to US Customs, show them the letter from BMW Canada (certifying compliance, except for the speedo), and the invoice for the speedometer change, and pay the 2.5% import duty. (they even take Visa/Mastercard!)

If you are a dealer, or subsequently resell the car later, then you are required by Federal law to ensure that the odometer also reads in miles. (but once the car is in the country, who's checking?)

If you search this site, you can find posts where I discuss the import process (it is easy for cars made in the last 8 years of so). You can also google and find a lot of helpful sites.

The biggest negative to importation today, is the terrible exchange rate. Along with the 2.5% import duty, means you need to drive a hard bargain, or REALLY want the car.

Dave

·
an audience of One
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
540 M-Sport said:
Kaz,
Do you have any direct experience? I do, and no, they do not have to be "Federalized". The cars meet (and in fact exceed) ALL USA DOT/EPA requirements said for one: the speedometer. A call to BMW Canada with the VIN number handly will get you a fax in 24 hours from them identifying the car by VIN attesting to this fact) To be compliant, the speedo must read in mph. What the odometer reads is irrelevant if the car is being imported for personal use. What this means, is that IF the car reads mph in lower case like most USA cars read kph in lower case, then you would be fine to import the car "as is". But, BMW's only read in kph, so this requires a swap of the speedo. Canadian BMW dealers know the drill, and will perform an "exchange" for your speedo for $800 to $900 and will reprogram the odometer to read with the correct amount of miles for day of in-service.

If you are a dealer, or subsequently resell the car later, then you are required by Federal law to ensure that the odometer also reads in miles.

If you search this site, you can find posts where I discuss the import process (it is easy for cars made in the last 8 years of so). You can also google and find a lot of helpful sites.

The biggest negative to importation today, is the terrible exchange rate. Along with the 2.5% import duty, means you need to drive a hard bargain, or REALLY want the car.

Dave
Good stuff - thanks for sharing :)

-Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts