BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

A bit of a problem and doing a search on these forums, I didn't find anyone that had the same problem (I might not have been using the correct search terms though :) ).

I went to start the car this morning. I put the key in and it didn't turn immediately so as I usually do, I wiggled the steering wheel and tried turning the key - no luck. The steering wheel locked and the key will not turn. I'm not sure what position the key is in so I'll describe it. I'm able to turn on the radio/lights etc with (and without) the key in ignition. My wife's got the second key so I can't test it with that. However i've tried the valet key as well as the other key (one with no remote lock/unlock) and both have not worked.

In the past, the wiggling the of steering wheel has always worked so I'm not sure what the problem might be. If this question has been asked could someone please point me in the right direction.

All help is greatly appreciated

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
try putting some umph into jiggleing the wheel now. one guy on here had a switch that rotated 360 deg. he was able to take out the switch, and use the key and a flat head screw driver to start the car. but the key is stuck in the number 1 position.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Lild. i'll try putting more oomph. I have only a few degrees of rotation on the wheel before a hard stop in either direction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No luck with the 'oomp'. I tried turning the wheel in both direction and no luck. I'm not that big a guy so might not be enough oomp :). i'll keep searching. thx again

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
well the next step is to take the steering wheel colum cover off. you may be able to unlock it that way. you'll probly need a flathead screw driver. after you get it unlock. the steering wheel lock may need some lube.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx Lild, your original suggestion did work. After much tugging back and forth while trying to turn the key, it unlocked and I managed to get it started. It did take a lot of effort. However, I noticed that removing the key was a little difficult (it was 'stuck' and had to jiggle it). And the bad news is that problem reoccurs every time I start the car. I have to go through the same motions again to restart. At least there's a workaround until I can get it looked at.

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
like i said earlier, one memeber had a 360 deg. rotating key. his only solution is and maybe with yours is to replace the key cylinder. but for the mean time he, took apart the colum cover, removed the cylinder, but left it hook up, basically dangling, put his key in it, that's for the ews system, and used a flat headed screwdriver to start it.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343263&highlight=

1 - 8 of 8 Posts