BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '03 E39 with in-dash business CD and DSP. Recently I installed two R-F R2SD4-10 subwoofers in the rear deck, removing and replacing the Nokia box. I also installed two cheap R-F 5.25" R1525X2 "Full Range Coaxial" speakers to replace the factory mids in the front doors, and for grins replaced the two 5.25" OEM speakers in the rear deck as well with two alpine 5.25" I had laying around. The other speakers remain hooked up.

My problem is that the new front speakers have done nothing to improve the treble of the system. The subwoofers work fine, plenty of bass, but the rear deck speakers likewise don't add much in terms of treble. System sounds terrible, just loads more bass.

I'm thinking the front speakers need replaced with something a bit more quality, but do I also need to upgrade the tweeters on the A pillars?

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the DSP graphic equalizer settings? I admit that the system is suboptimal, but tuning can provide a modicum of improvement.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Not an audiophile but I believe that you can try and adjust the settings... but what you really need is to either a) get rid of the entire dsp setup and rewire your vehicle b) use either "upgrade" oem speakers or c) go with the bavsound (bsw) speakers.

IIRC the dsp puts out like 35W to the system and a lot of aftermarket speakers require more just to begin to function.

Personally I like the dsp and will eventually do the bavsound (bsw) upgrade but again I am not an audiophile...

·
Under the lift arms
13,085 Posts
did the subs just bolt in and work with out any mod?

i have the same sound system and this sounds like a good way to add more bass with out having to put a box in the trunk

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've got an '03 E39 with in-dash business CD and DSP. Recently I installed two R-F R2SD4-10 subwoofers in the rear deck, removing and replacing the Nokia box. I also installed two cheap R-F 5.25" R1525X2 "Full Range Coaxial" speakers to replace the factory mids in the front doors, and for grins replaced the two 5.25" OEM speakers in the rear deck as well with two alpine 5.25" I had laying around. The other speakers remain hooked up.

My problem is that the new front speakers have done nothing to improve the treble of the system. The subwoofers work fine, plenty of bass, but the rear deck speakers likewise don't add much in terms of treble. System sounds terrible, just loads more bass.

I'm thinking the front speakers need replaced with something a bit more quality, but do I also need to upgrade the tweeters on the A pillars?
exactly, yes you need to upgrade the tweeters too

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Using coaxials to replace the front woofers (not mids) does not address the high end due to the crossovers. The tweeters on the coaxials do not receive a signal due to the crossovers. You need to use a two way speaker system (and keep the current mids) or use a three way system.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
The last thing you want is treble from behind, use your subs, and rear deck speakers for the midbass, the front speakers should consist of a component system with bass and tweeters (A pillars) in the original positions.
I dont have the DSP system, just the normal sound system, yest my rear deck speakers are not producing any treble at all, and that is fine by me. There must be a filter there together with those speakers. I upgraded the fronts with a Focal coaxial (ordered the component set but they send me the wrong speakers so I just installed the coaxials in the doors) and a separate Focal tweeter in the A pillar, works like a charm but I didnt change the rear deck speakers so the fader is heavily biased towards the front.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@Edjack: I've started exploring the DSP settings to get less bass and more treble.

@Burning 2nd: Check out this thread which has all the info you need on the subwoofer install: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1909789-Replacing-Garbage-Subwoofers-from-DSP . My install looks just like @jeremyp's pictures. The R-F 10" subwoofers do a great (thumping) job, but now I'm rather disappointed in how little brightness I hear from the front tweeters. Not at all balanced.

Assuming I'm not happy with the DSP equalizer method for increasing treble (which I've only just started playing with), should I upgrade to the Bavsound tweeters (only)? Can I assume the factory tweeters are shot?

Oh, and thanks, @tim330i!

·
What Speed Limit?
2,448 Posts
Not an audiophile but I believe that you can try and adjust the settings... but what you really need is to either a) get rid of the entire dsp setup and rewire your vehicle b) use either "upgrade" oem speakers or c) go with the bavsound (bsw) speakers.

IIRC the dsp puts out like 35W to the system and a lot of aftermarket speakers require more just to begin to function.

Personally I like the dsp and will eventually do the bavsound (bsw) upgrade but again I am not an audiophile...
I had the Bavsound speaker upgrade with the M-subs in my 540i. It sounded great. The BSW's gave a more clear and crisp sound.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Assuming I'm not happy with the DSP equalizer method for increasing treble (which I've only just started playing with), should I upgrade to the Bavsound tweeters (only)? Can I assume the factory tweeters are shot?
This is akin to changing one component in your suspension system without considering the impact on the overall ride and handling of the car. While you might improve performance in one area, you have unbalanced the system and created issues in other areas. When trying to improve with a system, you must consider the entire system when making upgrades. If your tweeters were working previously, they are probably fine. By replacing your front woofers only with a speaker that is probably more efficient than the OEM and adding subs in the back, you have created an imbalanced sound. Replacing the front tweeters has a random chance of resolving your problem. It is better to buy a two way component system (BSW, Infinity, ADS, etc.) which will be properly balanced in efficiency to address this problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions, I am futzing with the DSP equalizer and so far have some decent results. I will keep you posted...

[followup] I'm satisfied with the no-cost solution of using a memory setting on the DSP to change the tonal balance. Sounds much better than before and I like the ability to customize (but no echo, please).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts