Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. I have always had a bad key fob yet it started then one day the tape holding it together broke and I don’t no if something fell out or broke but ever since then it turns over everything works just won’t start “fire”. I replaced spark plugs, injectors , fuel pump Even checked the common fuses. What am I missing or is there something common I’m forgetting to check. I’m very mechanically inclined but I don’t no what’s the deal with it. Why will it turn and not start. Also if I don’t have tape holding key together lol and the chip side is dangling it won’t turn over but when I put it together it turns over just no start. Please help. Need it ASAP. Thanks in advance

·
Wingnut
3,723 Posts
to clarify, the engine is cranking over, but not starting? what is the fuel pressure with the key on, and what codes are there?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
You only have one key? That is a bit of a gamble I think.

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
Also if I don***8217;t have tape holding key together lol and the chip side is dangling it won***8217;t turn over but when I put it together it turns over just no start.
Turn meaning the key turns or turns meaning the engine cranks?

If engine not cranking, the chip may be not be close enough to the EWS.

Maybe posting a pic of the key may help.

Worst case, order a valet key from your dealer if the remote on the fob still works. Might run about $100 depending on local dealer pricing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey by cranks over I mean it turns over but no fire aka no start. I am currently replacing my crankshaft sensor then ima do my oil level sensor because it***8217;s showing oil light when oil is fine. I***8217;ll take pic now

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
When you answer scroll a bit down to "manage attachments", choose the photos you want to upload from your computer, click upload and wait for the conformation, close window. Write a comment like you normally do and send.
Cant recall, you might need a certain amount of posts before you can upload pictures, dont think so though.

·
Banned
151 Posts
I want to say that his EWS chip fell out of his key when it broke in half. Do you have any other key that came with the car you can try?

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
I want to say that his EWS chip fell out of his key when it broke in half. Do you have any other key that came with the car you can try?
That's what I was trying to get at in my original post. Turn over of key or turn over of engine. Still not clear to me what exactly is turning.

Without the EWS, you get a click sound when the key turns. Engine never Cranks or turns over without the EWS chip but OP mentioned chip side dangling which is why I said chip might not be close enough to EWS module. Hence I asked for the picture of the key to see if the chip is still intact.

·
Wingnut
3,723 Posts
i read his car as an 03 model, which has the diamond key, the EWS chip on that type key is part of the pcb.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The key looks like it’s been threw he’ll and back lol. But like I said if I hold key together probably and turn the key to start position it cracks over but if I leave key apart it still cuts on lights and stuff but no crank. I put new crank sensor in yesterday and my new oil level sensor is in so I’ll have that on today. What can I use to check the fuel pressure at injectors. It has a valve stem at front if injector line

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And yea it won***8217;t let me show key. But wouldn***8217;t it not crank if key was bad ? Also when I get new sensor on how can I reset the car. I have a dodge Cummins race truck and I do a thing with my key and pedal .... what***8217;s the best way to do a full reset ..... or what do y***8217;all think I should do next. Also if u want email me at [email protected]. I***8217;ll send pics or anything else u need to see.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And y is my phone texting weird numbers Very sorry I don***8217;t no why this is happening either ***55357;***56834;

·
Wingnut
3,723 Posts
for engine code reset, any decent obdII scanner will work, for anything else youll need a BMW specific scanner. to check fuel pressure, a tire pencil gauge will work well enough for figuring out if you have pressure (its the same fitting as a tire valve), or if you want better, HF sells a gauge that will fit a schrader valve among other things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so I had a buddy recommend me just buy a set up online. It sells the dme ecm and keyfob replacement stuff. Should I do that ??? It***8217;s 299 and a new key is 200 by itself to get reprogramed. It seems like a win win but I don***8217;t no if y***8217;all had any other ideas Since the key does actually turn the engine over smh. Help please.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts