BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new here, so hello everyone. I mainly joined because I wanted to see if there are a decent amount of flaws in the 03' M3. Also how many miles I could expect the car to last for. Assuming it has been taken cared of very well. (Realistic answers would be best) Opposed to "Well if you do this, that and that.." I'm in a situation where I don't want my current car anymore. It has nothing to do with Volkswagen. Just simply tired of the whole VW thing. I've always loved the Mitsubishi Evo. Unfortunately I test drove one years ago, and it broke down on the side of the highway. I had to have the dealership pick me up. What I'm wondering; is if a Mint 03 M3 with 77,000 miles on it is worth selling my Car, Sound System(worth a lot), and my 94' Ninja. My bike has 15,000 miles. My car has 100,000. (They will both definitely run for a while. I just can't stand the interior and exterior of my car. Also I'm looking to get onto an R1.. Any infooo on the Biiimmmmerrr would be great :)

BMW 03' MW - 77,000miles - $16,000
STi 07 - 75,000miles - $17,000 (best friends brother in law) FULLY loaded!

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
You`d better sit down, mang....

I`m gonna give you the exact answer you *didn`t* want...."it all depends on the previous care & feeding of this (somewhat) tempermental beast".

Have you ever had a high-maintainance girlfriend ?
Well, you`re looking at one right now. ALL BMWs are fairly demanding of your wallet, and M cars, even more so, as "normal consumables" (i.e., brakes, oil, etc.) are triple the cost of non-M cars.
I suggest you study the E46 Wiki (link at the top of this page), then start scrolling back through the previous threads, and see what we all go through on an ongoing basis.

Good luck ! :D

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lolll, I have had high maintenance'd girlfriends. I dumped her ass! Nah but for real, I know they are a pretty penny to maintain. Which is why I'd rather have something to show off, opposed to facking with this vw that I just put a bigger turbo into that I can barely drive. lol. The outside isn't peachy, and the inside is far from nice too. It just doesn't feel comforting getting into it anymore.. I love how quick and small it is. It's just not a looker. I'm not that into it anymore.. I've like fallen out of love with it. I'm putting my foot down and making up my mind before I put my sound system in it, and then I'm stuck with it. Or sell it and take care of my future vehicle like a baby jesus.

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
lolll, I have had high maintenance'd girlfriends. I dumped her ass! Nah but for real, I know they are a pretty penny to maintain. Which is why I'd rather have something to show off, opposed to facking with this vw that I just put a bigger turbo into that I can barely drive. lol. The outside isn't peachy, and the inside is far from nice too. It just doesn't feel comforting getting into it anymore.. I love how quick and small it is. It's just not a looker. I'm not that into it anymore.. I've like fallen out of love with it. I'm putting my foot down and making up my mind before I put my sound system in it, and then I'm stuck with it. Or sell it and take care of my future vehicle like a baby jesus.
I would suggest test-driving an M3 (or two), to see if it would meet your long-term needs....to me, the M3`s suspension can be somewhat brutal on a lot of the sh!tty, patched-up roads we have to put up with (I have suggested to Gov. Christy that they begin cremating long-term prisoners, and using their crispy remains to fill the potholes....he hasn`t gotten back to me yet :))

I would also suggest looking at a couple of E39 M5s as well, they are sweet rides, with a bit more room & comfort to boot....lots of choices out there....

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No offense but def wouldn't want anything bigger or more spacious, more for a personal need nothing else. (No family, or need for more space lol) I'd use it as a Daily Driver, and love every second of it. If I can't afford the M3 I might go with an older model cause they're ****ing beautiful!

· Is it Trackday yet?
9,181 Posts
For the coin you want to spend you can find a much newer and nicely equipped 330ci with ZHP (performance pkg). It's much easier on your wallet wrt maintenance and fuel and it makes a better daily driver.

The ZHP does not melt panties like an M3, however.

· I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,780 Posts
Yeah.. M3 is a god car.. Lol I haven't heard about this zhp, is it turbo?
Read the Wiki! :p I'll answer it anyway...

The ZHP has 10 more horsepower than a base model 330Ci. It has upgraded cams, a 3.07 differential (as opposed to the 2.93, assuming we're talking about manual transmissions), a slightly higher redline, a sportier exhaust, sportier suspension, more aggressive styling, and 18" wheels that are unique ONLY to the ZHP. The interior is also trimmed with silver or black cube (which is damn cool looking to say the least).

There is a turbo kit for the ZHP made by Technique Tuning, but you're looking at over $6,000 JUST for the kit. Factor in maintenance, reinforcement, and installation, you're looking at closer to $10,000.

· Is it Trackday yet?
9,181 Posts
In pure form, it also has an alcantara interior unique to the package. I opted for black cow when I ordered mine though. It's the sum of all parts that makes this package appealing and on the used market, it's far less of a hit than it was on a new car. Finding what you want will require patience and you may need to consider a national search.

Some of us have swapped in a 3.46 rear diff which increases the fun factor substantially by keeping the engine in the peak rev range. These diffs are available on the used market for a very reasonable cost. Unfortunately, none are limited slip which disappoints those of us who autocross and track our ZHP.

At 77k miles, both 330 and M3 will need some attention. If you do what is expected on the M3, you'll spend substantially more money.

· Registered
2,651 Posts
Do you want to be fast or do you want to look good?
M3 requires smooth road and good driver to beat STi, but if you are good driver then M3 helps you to look good.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I checked out that 330i zhp. and It's fkn gorgeous to say the least.. I love that little tip on the rear, which I guess would be considered a spoiler. ANYwho. I just got my car into the shop.. I'm going to get the tires fixed next. If i don't fall back in love with it soon, then I'll def keep you guys posted. I'm leaning towards the STi, mainly cause it won't cost my life to keep up with.. Probably last longer. & I've known the owner for years, and did a lot of research on that car. They are temperamental, but people say if it's been chipped since new, and well maintained and taken cared of they'll be just fine.. Also, they sound fkn ridiculous.. lol If possible I'd want a new 03-04 with no miles if I was going to jump into a bmw.. But that's like impossible to find..

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you want to be fast or do you want to look good?
M3 requires smooth road and good driver to beat STi, but if you are good driver then M3 helps you to look good.
I already look good:guitar: I just wish they mile's weren't so high.. I want something that isn't so used.. But i can't afford that right now..

· I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,780 Posts
I already look good:guitar: I just wish they mile's weren't so high.. I want something that isn't so used.. But i can't afford that right now..
You could shoot for a 335i. Can be made to go crazy fast and looks decent (not entirely my favorite, but I still like them). Reliability seems to be hit or miss, though. :dunno:

· ZHP = Patlabor
2,360 Posts
The most important and over-looked addition to the ZHP is the smallest available steering ratio for the steering rack in any E46- 12.5/12.8:1 (that's Miata like steering from lock-to-lock on the steering wheel turns). Even E46 M3 owners swap out the stock steering rack and swap to the ZHP steering rack due to it's small ratio.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.