BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member here because I just bought a 03 X5 3.0 with 85k! I'm very excited about the car as it is my first BMW!

The car appears to be in good condition but I want to make sure it stays in good condition so I'd like your advise on what I should do at this mileage.

I'm thinking about starting with changing all fluids ( engine oil, coolant, Transmission flush???, differential/gear fluid, power steering, brake fluid ) and spark plugs.

Your advise will be greatly appreciated!

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member here because I just bought a 03 X5 3.0 with 85k! I'm very excited about the car as it is my first BMW!

The car appears to be in good condition but I want to make sure it stays in good condition so I'd like your advise on what I should do at this mileage.

I'm thinking about starting with changing all fluids ( engine oil, coolant, Transmission flush???, differential/gear fluid, power steering, brake fluid ) and spark plugs.
That's what I did with mine. Doing so allows you to start from a known state wrt to the fluids. If you did not have a PPI performed now might be a good time to get one and address any problems identified.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Expansion tank
Water pump
Thermostat
Hoses
Valve cover gasket
Oil filter housing gasket

All routine stuff for the M54.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had my car fax pulled and then found the dealer where service was performed. I contacted them whic was Bavarian motor works (Michigan) and they rattled off all the maintenance history. The technican mentioned that i could have all the records moved over to my name by contacting bmw. I have not done this. I bought mine with 89K and it was a CPO 2003 X5 3.0i. All the fluids, brakes, head gasket, thermastate, oil change at the time were done. The transmission was not since BMW calls the fluid lifetime. I have 110K on it now and I am debating what to do with the transmission. It shifts fine. I do need the front bushings and tie rod ends now since my tires have some chop wear. I am waiting for my brother to do the work and save me alot of money. Oh i forgot at 90k i put new plugs and an intake boot. Make sure your intake boot to the throttle (driver side of motor) is not torn, comin issue and hard to see without a flash light. Make sure you have a good alignment too, it will save your tires, bmw's don't like curbs so do not hit one.

My steering wheel stopped going up and down upon entry of the car at 106k. You would think its the steering column but its not. The driver side seat adjustments run the memory seats and steering wheel adjustment. Is that crazy or what....I found a used seat control part on ebay for $80 bucks, its a $300 part new. I do love driving the X5. It really is the ultimate driving machine!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2003 x5 3.0

whoa, the list keeps growing! a friend of a friend who's an "expert" recommends the following.

All the fluids and the spark plugs plus

Water Pump, upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat assembly, expansion tank, radiator, valve cover gasket, drive belts, belt idler pulley, heater pipe line.

Then, later this year, alternator.

Based on what I've read about the serious damage from overheating due to loss of coolant, I am leaning towards the above recommendation but what do you think?

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
whoa, the list keeps growing! a friend of a friend who's an "expert" recommends the following.

All the fluids and the spark plugs plus

Water Pump, upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat assembly, expansion tank, radiator, valve cover gasket, drive belts, belt idler pulley, heater pipe line.

Then, later this year, alternator.

Based on what I've read about the serious damage from overheating due to loss of coolant, I am leaning towards the above recommendation but what do you think?
These are decisions only you can make. I've thought about an entire cooling system overhaul in my X5 but it's been limited to thinking, no action yet.

What is the reason behind the alternator replacement? If it fails it's more of an inconvienence than a catastrophy. Not sure I would replace it until I had reason to believe there was (or is going to be) a problem with the current one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, here's the latest. After some more research in this forum, I've decided to proceed with the preventive replacements except for the alternator. All fluids except transmission ( to be done soon along with the filter ) were changed. Water pump, radiator, thermostat, expansion tank, upper and lower hoses, drive belts and idler pulley. I picked up the car today and drove it home 30 miles, smiling all the way. I constantly watched the temp gauge and it did not move at all from the middle position with or without A/C. About 1 hour after I got home, I went out to look the car, opened the hood and noticed the engine area seemed hot. I stared the car and the temp gauge was at the same position 1 hour ago. Then the alarm went off in my head...

Since this is my first BMW, I'm very concerend due to lack of BMW knowledge and experience. Am I overreacting or can there be a problem? I expected the temp gauge to come down some... the outside temp was low 70's.

·
Registered
170 Posts
From my brother's experience, I was also concerned with mine getting so hot. He explained that the 3.0i motor gets warm the quickest of all motors. In the winter its great! Just make sure the gauge does not go past the middle mark. You should be fine. I always check my oil too. I change my oil way early but have got it to stop burning oil. I change every 4-5K and use Mobil1 high mileage synthic. Its more expensive when I do it myself but way cheaper than a new motor. Sounds like you got alot of work done. You are set for another 50k miles depending how you drive it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts