Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning, just bought x5 and had check rear brake lining (message), so pulled rear wheel and pads are real low--so I ordered ALL 4 rotors and pads & sensors.
***But rear tires are worn REAL bad on inside half of tread (camber) Man just not sure were to start.....do most just rebuild rear suspention at 1 time???? any advise would be appreciated

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had an 04 4.4 for years and replaced air suspension with standard coils.

Anyway your tires will always wear out on the inside. That's an X5 thing. Rotate often

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,466 Posts
... any advise would be appreciated
Why not tell the mechanic how you want it aligned? These are probably your car's specifications. Notice how sloppy are the allowances. YOU need to know the effect of your numbers and tell your mechanic what numbers that YOU want. Otherwise he'll just say that it's in spec, and it may well be, but still eat tires.

My X5 is aligned to 0.02° (zero decimal zero two degrees) toe-in for each wheel, and camber mid-range and about the same left and right, at the front and rear. I just replaced my CPO OE at 44K miles with useful tread remaining.

Note that the specifications below are in degrees and minutes, 0° 14***8217; = 0.233°.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,210 Posts
No. 1 culprit for worn inner tire is bad REAR ball joint.
Get the Lemforder REAR ball joint, it is about $40 or so.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you're going to do this yourself, you'll need the special tool to remove and install the ball joint. The universal tools WILL NOT WORK. Ask me how I know. With the right tool, the replacement is about 10 minutes per ball joint (not including tearing down the stuff you need to get to it).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're going to do this yourself, you'll need the special tool to remove and install the ball joint. The universal tools WILL NOT WORK. Ask me how I know. With the right tool, the replacement is about 10 minutes per ball joint (not including tearing down the stuff you need to get to it).
Fifty, Thanks for advise, my biggest problem is it's been below Zero where I live and no heat in garage, I'm trying to figure how to get after this problem, Thanks for all help.

·
Registered
15,210 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The REAR Ball Joint Tool. Bavauto sells it for $55.
You can use then resell it on ebay for let's say $45.

https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-bushing-press-b8800049?

The REAR balljoint is about $28 at FCPEuro.
You need a total = 2. One per side.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-ball-joint-in-rear-wheel-carrier-33321095631

PS: by the time the rear bj goes bad (usually > 100K), time to look at other rear suspension parts too.
Check realoem.com

I wrote some DIYs for the E39 5-series on bimmerfest.
Thanks cn90...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE::local shop inspected rear suspention and said ball joints were good, sway bar links Bad and wheel bearings both had play in them, SO it goes in next Monday for work (I have the Parts) His alignment machine won"t do 4-whell, so I'll find a shop for alignment--Hopeing I can get the Camber Correct (and be able to LOOK at rear wheels) without feeling sick.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well the SHOP I was using SCREWED me--told me to order wheel bearings-sway bar links-and rotors and pads, dropped off today and he calls me 1hr later saying it's to much of a job for his shop----scared he will need more parts (would have to order) and have hoist tied up for days, So I'm not sure what to do.....

·
Registered
830 Posts
well the SHOP I was using SCREWED me--told me to order wheel bearings-sway bar links-and rotors and pads, dropped off today and he calls me 1hr later saying it's to much of a job for his shop----scared he will need more parts (would have to order) and have hoist tied up for days, So I'm not sure what to do.....
Find another shop or do it yourself?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Correct way to check ball joints

You can only check ball joint play with no pressure in air bag. You must relieve air pressure to check joint for play. I doubt they did that and it makes the joint feel solid with no play. In my experience the ball joint is the culprit. Sway bar link are not going to wear inside of tires, bad wheel bearing make noise

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed, I will check better myself, since I'm a little crippled up (age) I'm going to look for someone I can pay to help me re-build suspention right...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The REAR Ball Joint Tool. Bavauto sells it for $55.
You can use then resell it on ebay for let's say $45.

https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-bushing-press-b8800049?

The REAR balljoint is about $28 at FCPEuro.
You need a total = 2. One per side.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-ball-joint-in-rear-wheel-carrier-33321095631

PS: by the time the rear bj goes bad (usually > 100K), time to look at other rear suspension parts too.
Check realoem.com

I wrote some DIYs for the E39 5-series on bimmerfest.
cn90-thanks I just ordered tool.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I had a squeak in the rear suspension on my 4.4 with staggered wheels after replacing two sets of rear tires due to inner tire wear. Replaced rear lower control arm bushings, ball joints, and integral links but squeak continued and camber still red. Replaced tie rods and still camber in red with a squeak. Finally replaced upper control arms and camber is green with no squeak.

Noise problem was rear left but both left and right were done, right was in spec after first round but left wasn't in spec until the third. Inner tire wear had been present both sides.
I mention all this to help anyone with tire wear/camber, or squeaky suspension issues.

There was alignment improvement after each installation, of course, but the upper control arms finally brought it into spec and cured the squeak. Handles remarkably better and this set of rear tires should last.

01 e53 4.4 134k

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,794 Posts
People seem to think an alginment is a binary thing: GOOD or BAD.

There is a large range of settings...all of them 'within BMW specs'

After replacing worn parts...where you set the alginment has a large impact on wear-

See my sig for more details.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts